It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Hagel: It’s a ‘Stretch’ to Say Palin Is Qualified

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Nebraska Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel has increasingly parted ways with the GOP, including his comment today that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is unqualified to serve as president.

“I think it’s a stretch to, in any way, to say that she’s got the experience to be president of the United States,” Hagel told the Omaha World-Herald, his home state paper.

“She doesn’t have any foreign policy credentials,” he said. “You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don’t know what you can say. You can’t say anything.”

blogs.wsj.com...

Is good to see that at least some people in the GOP still can talk straight and tell things like they are. Everyone but just blind McCain /Palin supporters would say she is qualified to be President. Given McCain age and past health condition is something that should taken in consideration.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I love it when anyone Democrat or Republican questions Sarah Palin's qualifications!

All it does is throws it right back to Barack Obama. How is Barack Obama any more qualified than Sarah Palin?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

The issue of qualification IMO is important when it comes to foreign policy. I dont think that Gov. Palin is ready to be CIC, if it comes to that hopefully if Sen. McCain is elected it wont come to that.

I personally for what I have heard from her I dont trust her judgement, Sen. Obama might be a little more experienced than her in foreign affairs but I particularly like his judgement and approach in regard to Iraq and how to deal with future threats.

Obviously Sen. McCain hold the advantage on this issue, but given his past health issue, I feel very concern of having a Pres. Palin with the judgement and approach to some of these foreign policy issues.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Is there any surprise this man is criticizing McCains pick for VP?

Sour grapes from a guy who had hoped to be picked as Obama's VP running mate. And he calls himself a republican? Go figure.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

That is so true! He was considered to be on Obama's short list for VP. I guess now he is sucking up for a spot in Obama's cabinet?

Reply to Bunch:

As far as foreign affairs go, a campaign trip overseas does not give Obama any more experience than Sarah Palin.

I would rather have Palin stare down Putin, than to have Obama wondering what the US did wrong to put him in a face-to-face showdown.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I would rather have Palin stare down Putin, than to have Obama wondering what the US did wrong to put him in a face-to-face showdown.

yess! I love this line!
this is my sentiment exactly. RRConservative you took the words right out of my mouth!
we seem to agree on most issues around here. good going!

I love it when Sarah gets bashed in public by snobby, uptight, washington lifer, old white guys, it just makes us (the ones that get it) lover her even more.

keep on bashing guys! its great!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I guess Sarah being able to see Russia from her house makes her qualified.

And I guess Obama having studied law, religion, history and geography from Harvard and Columbia makes him unqualified.

The new standard of deciding wether you would make the best President is who would pull the trigger faster and if Jesus is your Lord and Savior.

Hopefully you are young enough or have children who are young enough and make enough money to pay for all the wars!

[edit on 18-9-2008 by AtlantaInsider1]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think he's right.

That or she doesn't interview well at all.

I recently (I was late I know) saw her interview with Charlie Gibson on Youtube and it was a bit astounding. I'd heard her speech but never saw any interview with the woman and after that I ended up feeling sorry for her. When she said before she had no idea what a VP does, I now seriously believe her. I think she is in her position now specifically because of Hillary and nothing else.

During the interview she seemed confused, unprepared, uncharismatic, nervous and forgetful. Her positions that didn't align with McCains were backtracked on, she dodged direct questions like Neo did bullets in The Matrix, and was "for" the dreaded "Bridge To Nowhere" before she was "against" it.

I honestly think Gibson went easy on her because she certainly did not know what she was talking about and between the two of them he looked more like a person going into the position of vice president. After that interview I even semi-jokingly thought I should move to Alaska and run for Governor. Why not?

What really got to me was that the extent of her foreign experience comes down to the fact that she can see Russia from her backyard. Her and McCain both have said this.

What the...??

I can see Mexico from Texas does that make me qualified to speak with Felipe Calderón on foreign policy issues?

I don't know if she will make a good VP but she is certainly not overqualified.

Hillary would eat her for breakfast in a debate in my opinion, and the best you can say about her pick was that Obama should have picked a woman too and then the issue of Palin would be muted. I agree with the one writer who said that she has clearly memorized the talking points, but does she understand them?

She may appeal to the female voters but that's really about it, because I am not sure what she adds to the McCain team other than being a woman.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

And clearly Putin is the most pressing issue the country faces. I am seriously not trying to put you down, but do you read or watch the news?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

How is Barack Obama any more qualified than Sarah Palin?

Obama Spent 3 years as an exceptional community organizer, became the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, created a voter registration drive that registered 150,000 new voters, spent 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spent 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, became chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spent 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees.

Palin’s spent 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people.

I'm just sayin'.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantaInsider1
I guess Sarah being able to see Russia from her house makes her qualified.

And I guess Obama having studied law, religion, history and geography from Harvard and Columbia makes him unqualified.

The new standard of deciding wether you would make the best President is who would pull the trigger faster and if Jesus is your Lord and Savior.

Hopefully you are young enough or have children who are young enough and make enough money to pay for all the wars!

[edit on 18-9-2008 by AtlantaInsider1]

It appears the one thing all libs have in common with McCains pick for VP is hate. You are so filled with hatred you just don't know what to do.

For the record, it's not just that she can "see Russia form her home", it's that she is the Governer of the only state in the country that borders Russia.

And what good is Obama's accomplishments regarding having studied law, religion, history and geography from Harvard and Columbia if he surrounds himself with racists and unrepentant terrorists?

There is a saying in the advertising business. "What the big print giveth, the small print taketh away". I for one don't like Obama's big print, and I can't even read the small print.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
When was the last time she had or has she ever had any correspondence with a Russian. Has she studies Russian history, religion or international law? I forgot she was a sportscaster. Maybe she knows about their athletic programs.

Hate? More like disgusted. Follow my train of thought on Palin - Usually I am the type when I walk into the room, I wanted to be the smartest person in the room. I guess I am shallow, but it makes me feel better. But when it comes to the President, I want to be considered Neanderthal.

Did you hate Clinton?

Do you think Russian experience is more pressing than knowing how to navigate this challenging economy?

Can you at least see Democrats concern over electing (less) educated candidates because of our current President?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRooster
It appears the one thing all libs have in common with McCains pick for VP is hate. You are so filled with hatred you just don't know what to do.

I disagree, and that is an easy way to deflect honest criticism.

I don't think most people "hate" her (we don't really know her), they just find her background unimpressive.
It is, to be honest.

I mean if you look at it, it does seem that for a person that could potentially become vice president, her experience, career, and educational background is lackluster. She doesn't seem to understand her own policies and spouts talking points randomly without going into any specifics.

I don't hate Palin at all, but she just doesn't seem to stack up against McCain, Obama or Biden.

Even Hillary for that matter.

So why was she picked?
I think I know.

- Lee

[edit on 18-9-2008 by lee anoma]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Blah, Blah, Blah.

All you do is spout out spin and rhetoric that can be picked up on any news channel. The whole talk about Palin and it will "backfire" is contrived and absurd.

Can I please ask you to quit it! Honestly, listen to some bipartisan media occasionally. It's hard to find, I know, but I'll be damned if you don't start to figure out when you are saying buzz words.

*Edit:

And I'll probably get a warning for calling you out on it, but that's fine. It's a buzz word, it's untrue, and I have to say something when I hear it. I can't tell Rush Limbaugh to quit lying about it, so I'll tell everyone else I hear say it.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

How is Barack Obama any more qualified than Sarah Palin?

Obama Spent 3 years as an exceptional community organizer, became the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, created a voter registration drive that registered 150,000 new voters, spent 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spent 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, became chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spent 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees.

Please list for me his accomplishments as a community organizer that would garner the "exceptional" desrciption.

Source: www.govtrack.us...
Statistics: Barack Obama has sponsored 120 bills since Jan 24, 2005, of which 115 haven't made it out of committee and 2 were successfully enacted. And Barack Obama has missed 305 of 1286 roll call votes (24%) since Jan 6, 2005.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hagel's comment reminds me of Joe Bidens comment about Obama's readiness.

"I think he can be ready, but right now I don't believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training."
Joe Biden on Barack Obama August 2007

Which quote hurts more? Hagel's, who is a RINO, or Joe Biden's, who is Obama's VP choice?

I'd rather have someone get on-the-job training as Vice-President, than for someone to get on-the-job training as President.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

Is there any particular reason that you fancy Biden's criticism of Obama's experience, but Hagel gets thrown out the window immediately?

It's partisan politics. In the grand scheme of things, neither of these comments mean anything. You guys are like monkeys throwing crap at each other.

It's funny to watch, but it's kind of disgusting too.

Partisan Liberal: Don't vote for McCain! Hagel said Palin is unexperienced.

Partisan Conservative: OMG, Well Biden called Obama unexperienced too!

Wow, let me just run to the polls and cast my vote now! That made my mind up.

Obama

12 years in office
State Senate - 8 Years
US Senate - 4 Years

Palin

12 years in office
Mayor - 10 Years
Governor - 2 Years

Happy?

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

Is there any particular reason that you fancy Biden's criticism of Obama's experience, but Hagel gets thrown out the window immediately?

Yes, because of the fact that Hagel was on Obama's short list for VP, and Biden happens to be Obama's Vice Presidential pick.

That is a BIG reason!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join