It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts Don't Yahoo! Over Palin's E-Mail Practices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Experts Don't Yahoo! Over Palin's E-Mail Practices

www.abcnews.go.com

It's not a great idea to run a government using Yahoo! e-mail accounts.

That's the word from experts, anyway, reacting to news that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's Yahoo! e-mail had been hacked earlier this week. McCain's vice-presidential pick apparently used the accounts to communicate with key aides about government business.

The practice is dangerous, said experts, and can run counter to laws ensuring government is open and accountable -- a tough point for Palin, who has made "open government" a catchphrase of her political identity.

By using non-governmental email systems, "Your information is out there available, beyond the official mechanisms there to protect it," said Amit Yoran, the nation's first cybersecurity chief. Yoran is now CEO of Netwitness Corp., a computer security firm for government and private entities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
How juvenile!!!
And she is ready to lead.

SNORT!!!

www.abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I know that im in the uk but what concerns me is that there is absolutely no mention of the group known as anonymous getting arrested over this.

Is it because it is a yahoo account and not an official government account?

Maybe im too early and someone will be prosecuted over this in due course.It all seems to be emphasising on the fact that Palin should not have been using a yahoo address.Of course it was stupid to use yahoo for governmental purposes but does that make it justified?

Are these guys really anonymous and can no-one get to them?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Well apparently there are some threatening noises being made by the McCain/Palin camp over this.

But still that is how they react to things that expose their lies and stupidity... with threats of legal action.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tracey ace

You do know what the word anonymous means right?

There is no "group" anonymous ... We are all anonymous . . We/they are your Parents your sisters/brothers, Your state governors And posibly your next presedent..
You cant stop anonymous because they dont exist as an entity. And thats the point.
Anonymous is a mindset. Anonymous is society.

They are super heros in there infancy. And super villains in training .

They only come out when enough people believe the same thing . They cant be led and never lead.

We/they are legion

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This would seem to point out a shortcoming in her decision making as it relates to government operations. Is she naive enough to not realize the security and other consequences of using a private email system such as Yahoo. I am surprised more email related information on her wasn't leaked sooner from inside Yahoo, whether most at Yahoo are pro or con her.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
See B.S. said this - "It's not a great idea to run a government using Yahoo! e-mail accounts."

Last I heard she wasn't 'running a government' using Yahoo.

She was using YAHOO for personal emails and sending family pictures - something millions of Americans do.

Have any facts come out that say differently?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

She was interacting with .gov emails. Since she was in an official role it is prurient to believe that she was conducting business.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is a National Security issue now!!!!

After all, she can almost see Russia.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
reply to post by FlyersFan

She was interacting with .gov emails. Since she was in an official role it is prurient to believe that she was conducting business.

There is zero proof right now that she was doing GOV BUSINESS via her personal account. So what if she was emailing TO .gov addresses.

It is not prurient to believe...it is assuming...guessing....not fact. Unless there is some new development that shows otherwise. I havent seen it yet.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well if .GOV emails came to HER.. I think you see where the problem lies ..

But little to nothing looks to be a problem at this point.. Was it a ruse? Was it legit.. Is there more to this ? I guess we'll see.

I just hope if there was a lesson to be learned . That it was.

Anyone notice if yahoo's stock dropped any ?

[edit on 18-9-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
UPDATE:
Do we have any ATSers in Germany that can please access and post the emails??? That would give us the information we need to decide if she has done anything wrong. They were put up on Wikileaks...only to have the whole site blocked.
I have just learned they are still available from German servers.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
There is zero proof right now that she was doing GOV BUSINESS via her personal account. So what if she was emailing TO .gov addresses.

One of the emails is entitled 'Draft letter to Governor Schwarzenegger / Container tax'. It's quite clearly government business unless she has the most boring friends in the world.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I love how the news stations say it was a dire invasion of her privacy but yet show no hesitation in showing the e-mail screenshots themselves
Funny world we live in

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Yep...
this is a big or bigger than the Laptops at White Sands Missile Range.

a little perspective... pleeze!

new topics

top topics

join