It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention all'La Haine 'fans-riotpolice in Paris suburbs again as violence flares...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

I saw this in the Guardian to day,more tension ,more violence ,more pain for the people that live in the ghetto's .This time they feel like the rich , middle class Parisians are encroaching on their lives which are being marred by inter-racial violence.To some degree ,it seems like story could be written about many cities in the Western World but Paris is a particularly unique case in that vastly expensive ,romantic Paris is surrounded by a ring of housing developments which are often populated by North African immigrants.It almost seems that cyclicly,there are tensions between the police and Arab youth who often riot when the police kill one of their own.If you want more bacKground on ths social powderkeg the I recommend you watch the film 'La Haine' since that film was made-life has imitated art about thre or four more times...sadly

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Actually, La Haine was based on the death of a parisian youth after the 1986 riots, about 10 years before the film was made. Since then the situation in the suburbs, the so called "banlieues" has only deteriorated, just 2 years ago massive rioting took place in big cities all over France. The spark that time was the death of 2 youths who were running from the police and hid in a power substation, both died of electrocution. I remember the video of, then still a minister, Sarkozy walking around one of those areas telling some old lady he would "rid her of that band of scum".
All that has happened since then has been a crack down on those youths, locking them up. No effort has been made to ameliorate the situation, so yes, more then likely, feces will hit the fan again soon.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by sn00daard]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sn00daard
Actually, La Haine was based on the death of a parisian youth after the 1986 riots, about 10 years before the film was made. Since then the situation in the suburbs, the so called "banlieues" has only deteriorated, just 2 years ago massive rioting took place in big cities all over France. The spark that time was the death of 2 youths who were running from the police and hid in a power substation, both died of electrocution. I remember the video of, then still a minister, Sarkozy walking around one of those areas telling some old lady he would "rid her of that band of scum".
All that has happened since then has been a crack down on those youths, locking them up. No effort has been made to ameliorate the situation, so yes, more then likely, feces will hit the fan again soon.

thanx for the info,i did'nt know it was about the death of a youth ten years before it was made.I remember the case of the youths who were electrocuted.It a sad state of affairs.
[edit on 18-9-2008 by sn00daard]

join