It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study into near-death experiences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Study into near-death experiences

news.bbc.co.uk

A large study is to examine near-death experiences in heart attack patients.

Doctors at 25 UK and US hospitals will study 1,500 survivors to see if people with no heartbeat or brain activity can have "out of body" experiences.

Some people report seeing a tunnel or bright light, others recall looking down from the ceiling at medical staff.

The study, due to take three years and co-ordinated by Southampton University, will include placing on shelves images that could only be seen from above.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Near-death experiences are common, and I'm sure here on ATS we have members who have experienced them.

Whatever the reason for them, they exist, and now doctors etc are trying to quantify and "test" for them in the hope they will gain a better understanding.

Some will say that that it is a purely biological function, whilst others will say it is a spiritual/religious experience.

Whatever the conclusion of the team or the individuals here, I'm sure it will make fascinating reading when completed.

What do you guys think?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Yeah I think it will be great.I think more research needs to be done into this.
I mean why is it a big secret what happens when we die?
It happens to all of us yet no one wants to talk about it.
The answer is oh well maybe sort it out with your faith or whatever.
Im sick of the mindless dribble on this planet in regards to things like this.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Wow thanks for the info, I think this is something very good to research, I definitely think there's something to it.

Check out this website for experiences.
www.near-death.com...

Here's a VERY interesting video about a physicist who worked in the Monroe Institude and made many experiments on OBE, he was a sceptic, but after many experiments that proved to him that OBE was real, he became a believer. After the many years of research he has come up with his own theory of how the universe works, how we are multidimensional beings etc

Really check it out when you have the time. There's 11 parts.
Part 1 Non-Physical Realms
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 18-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I'm pretty sure that this will not provide any definitive answers (for those that seek them) but if it does show some kind of out of body awareness, there will of course be the Dr's who will still insist it is some sort of fakery or trickery.

When the skeptics get through with the results it'll be "all done with mirrors"

Now, I'm not saying that I believe this 100% - I can't until I have experienced it for myself, and by that time it may be too late to share.

But I also know that in the medical world, there are those who believe nothing unless it has a biological explanation - the spiritual seems beyond them.
There are also those with open minds of course, just as can be seen in any other profession.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see the results, and the reaction to them.

For myself, I am a semi-believer.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yes me too, I believe there is definetly "something" to it all, from my OBE experiences. But I can't say with 100% exactly what is happening, why, how it works etc.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

The other BBC links provided some biological theories for this - but IMO that's all they, theories.

I've only ever read anecdotal evidence and don't really know anyone who has gone through the full NDE.

top topics

join