It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator introduces bill to ban practice allowing Bush to secretly change meaning of laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Senator introduces bill to ban practice allowing Bush to secretly change meaning of laws

rawstory.com

Feingold, who has been among the fiercest critics of the administration's power grabs, introduced the OLC Reporting Act in the Senate, with Rep. Brad Miller (D-NC) introducing companion legislation in the House. It's unlikely the bill will be passed this year -- and even if it was, Bush would almost certainly veto it -- but the legislation provides a starting point for the next Congress to begin undoing Bush's damage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fas.org
www.examiner .com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The State Secrets Protection Act
The Executive Order Integrity Act of 2008

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

This bill represents an important step toward curbing secret law and restoring the balance of power between the White House and Congress.”

Wow, with the additional legislation I have reported on before (see above related ATS threads), I am actually for the first time struggling with the notion that we have a "do nothing" Congress.

Come now you cranky old ATS skeptics, give some credit where credit is due. That's three formidable pieces of legislation intended to restore balance of power between the branches.

I know, I know. We are all pissed cause the Dems didn't get us out of Iraq. But we got to be a little happier with these bills.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-9-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
From what I hear, you can just ignore subpoenas now, especially if your in the loop.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

I wouldn't recomend it. How many of us are "in the loop"?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I'm not cranky, just old... wait, I mean- I'm not old, just cranky!!!

Stars & Flag!

Seriously, I'm pleasantly surprised that a voice of reason comes from
Senator Russ Feingold, of my state of WisCOMMUNISMsin!!!

Maybe there's hope!?!

I know he's good at responding to emails, he did to mine!
I respect the man so far. Glad someone has the courage to attempt
standing up to dictatorship. Hope he doesn't end up in Guantanamo for
treason; as might be interpreted by the Bush admin!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Mr. Fiengold has earned a pinch of respect from me. These are the sort of things I intend to look for when the next Congress rolls in. This is what I want to see. The complete reversal and repeal of Bush doctrine from all American facets of life. He is a totalitarian fascist and should be prosecuted, convicted for treason, and given the highest possible sentence.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Wait... there needs to be a bill to ban this?

How was he able to do this to begin with? Who gave the
to that!?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE
Wait... there needs to be a bill to ban this?

How was he able to do this to begin with? Who gave the
to that!?

Presidential signing statements have historically just been a written interpretation of a bill that is signed into law. Kind of like a comments section. The President can state, a specific justification for the bill or how it is being interpreted.
Bush has taken this ability beyond anything that anyone had ever imagined.

Signing Statements 1

Signing Statements 2

Signing Statements 3

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Exactly. You hear so much from the administration about "legislating from the bench," but by using these signing statements and wrapping them in the nonsense concept of the "unitary executive" they are attempting to give the presidency veto power over the other branches of government.

It's outrageous and if congress had a spine they'd vote this in and get Bush to veto it, and keep sending it to the Oval Office until its passed, by whomever will succeed Bush. But don't hold your breath.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
From www.fas.org...

The Bush administration has relied heavily on secret OLC opinions in
a broad range of matters involving core constitutional rights and civil
liberties. The administration's policies on interrogation of detainees
were justified by OLC opinions that were withheld from Congress and the
public for several years. The President's warrantless wiretapping
program was justified by OLC opinions that, to this day, have been seen
only by a select few Members of Congress. And, when it was finally made
public this year, the March 2003 memorandum on torture written by John
Yoo was filled with references to other OLC memos that Congress and the
public have never seen--on subjects ranging from the Government's
ability to detain U.S. citizens without congressional authorization to
the Government's ability to operate outside the Fourth Amendment in
domestic military operations.

We didn't elect our officials to run the country with little internal clicks born out of self interest. We elected our officials to run the government as a body. To come together and act as a whole with facts, not inflated opinion or manufactured evidence. The Bush administration wants to act like the government that runs our government. Sorry, but no dice. I am so glad to finally see some action being taken by more reasoning people that understand the delicate balance of power among the branches.

While there may be a need to keep certain things secret from Congress (like what? A new secret weapon? Intelligence information? Area 51 aliens? Martial law plans?
), Bush's strategy of reinterpreting the law to be able to make new laws that suit his NWO agenda is just out of the question. But he has been getting away with it time and time again.

His lawyers procuring such new interpretations of law are just as guilty if not more for allowing this, and ought to be permanently disbarred, and prosecuted as treasonous.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Feingold introduces legislation that doesn't stand a chance, any chance to be enacted. What a savior

Lets see, they will not impeach him, they will not have him arrested, but when it comes to us owning guns, where Does old Russ stand?

I say, hogwash, what a hoax .

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye
I say, hogwash, what a hoax .

lol, naw, real hogwash legislation is more like this:

New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

I might say that to some other legislation proposed or that is even current law that has been a total waste of taxpayer dollars. You want to see real hogwash laws, just visit this link:

www.dumblaws.com...

Also, please take into account the other two bills mentioned in related ATS threads. You can just write this off, but I won't. Not in context.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this TA--I almost posted it yesterday, but I think I've reached my quota on going after the ever-criminalistic Decider / Insaney Cabal for the time being, LOL.

I'm kind of on the fence with this. On the one hand I want to thank Senator Feingold, but on the other hand I'm saying "way too little, way too late", as well as not really holding my breath to this being anything more than bluster, which seem to be the perpetual MOA of the co-complicitory, worthless congressional body.

I also have to agree with my friend, "mybigunit" on these matters, of which principally is why is this type of action even NECESSARY to begin with?...It should have NEVER been allowed to happen to begin with, let alone been allowed to continue to propegate and escalate so completely out of control year after year like it has. This is a failure of checks and balances that runs through the ENTIRE governmental system, and it has been of catastrophic proportions.

I do hope that something comes of this to restore any semblance of what's left of Constitutional Law, but I just have a hard time getting my hopes up anymore.

Thanks for putting this out there though buddy...

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Thanks for posting this TA--I almost posted it yesterday, but I think I've reached my quota on going after the ever-criminalistic Decider / Insaney Cabal for the time being, LOL.

you're welcome... quota? lol, unless you're a paid anti-insaney, please nevahhh quit! And even if you ARE a paid anti-insaney, thanks for taking a sane job!

I'm kind of on the fence with this. On the one hand I want to thank Senator Feingold, but on the other hand I'm saying "way too little, way too late", as well as not really holding my breath to this being anything more than bluster, which seem to be the perpetual MOA of the co-complicitory, worthless congressional body.

Maybe, just maybe one day, the great America will rise again like a cancer-stricken man who caught it early enough to do something about it- and live. We can't lose hope.

new topics

join