It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we feel pain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I don't understand why we feel pain. Our body feels pain, yet, we like to think we are invincible to pain and the sorts. Why then do we feel pain if we like to think we're invincible? Is it part of how the brain makes us feel it? If the part of the brain that made us feel things was taken out would we still feel pain? Would we know what it is?

It just doesn't seem right that there is pain. Why do we feel pain in the first place? Was it part of our design? Do animals feel pain?

What purpose does it serve?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Pain is just your bodies way of telling you that something is wrong. If you didn't feel pain, how would you know you have a torn knee ligament, a heart condition, a lung problem, were being burned, etc, etc.

Just one of the many wonders of the human body.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Pain is your bodies way of saying "This is a really bad idea!"
For some people it's attractive, other folks, it's something to be wary of.
Either way, it should be used to know when your approaching your limits.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Pain lets you know that we are not invincible .Just mere men in need of a Physician (God) And mere men who cannot survive without their creator .(God)
I believe it humbles us and also softens us (Pain of the heart).So we dont get cold and unfeeling .We then become just another one of the walking dead we see so many of these days .

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Because it hurts FOOL. !!!!!! Just as LOVE feels good. Why do you ask questions you know the answer to ?

Be Good,

Longgone

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
i thought it was because Adam and Eve ate the apple.

but seriously, it's just a way of telling what's going on.
it's like asking, why do we taste things?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You might aswell ask :"Why do we feel pleasure?" or :"Why do we feel ANYTHING?"

Pain is part of the scale. Without pain you'd not have anything to distinguish pleasure from.

Pleasure is nothing, but the end of pain. Pain is nothing but the end of pleasure.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAThought
You might aswell ask :"Why do we feel pleasure?" or :"Why do we feel ANYTHING?"

Pain is part of the scale. Without pain you'd not have anything to distinguish pleasure from.

Pleasure is nothing, but the end of pain. Pain is nothing but the end of pleasure.

Very well said.

Also, of course animals feel pain!
Have you never heard a dog yelp in pain?

Pain helps us to survive...if we went around doing crazy things to our bodies with no pain, we'd have no idea that our lives were in danger , and that something was seriously wrong.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
well from my previous experiences i can say for sure that you can stop pain to a degree with just your mind.....

The last few times I went to the dentist to have wisdom teeth taken out and the odd filling the Dentist actualy suggested meditating after the injection wears off inorder to subdue the pain a little....

and well it worked, I tried a basic meditation technique that I had learnt a few years ago and was able to tune out from the pain for about 4 hours till eventualy when I came back around the pain had gone

now im not really one for delving into mystical mind bending but that worked and I do it all the time if I ever stack it skating or snap myself at work fixing something, I just tune out for a little while taking deep breaths and not think about it and it goes.......

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
" But you want to know the best thing about pain ? It lets you know your not dead yet and to get up finish the mission and get home" - James j Argel Senior chief united states seal training-GI Jane

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Nerves. Not that complicated.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

That's how, not why.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
As mentioned by previous posters, pain is a defence mechanism and ultimately a survival mechanism; the body's way of alerting the brain to harm so that we will take action to avoid further/repeated harm, or to actively treat illness or injury. Without pain, we would have little immediate motivation to avoid danger, we would take much longer to learn from injury, and our survival instincts would be severely reduced. Hence the phrase: "Pain is the greatest teacher of all."

Pain works very well in alerting the brain to harm, however it is an incomplete and ultimately flawed system since there is no way for the brain to switch off the pain message. Hence there are millions of people living with severe and constant pain for conditions that are untreatable yet not life-threatening. This is the horrible, human condition of pain. And if chronic pain leads one to commit suicide or seek euthanasia, has pain not then failed in its purpose to protect us from harm...?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

In an Ancient writing it is written,

"Learn how to suffer so that you shall know, how Not to suffer...."

Note you observe or experience pain, through your brain which is a Decoder/Encoder between the True Mind and the environment it is experiencing, but the Mind does Not hurt.

And your Flesh does Not know pain.

If you hurt your leg ask your leg if it is aware of pain, it cant tell you anything but the Mind registers the pain and yet at the same time the mind does not feel pain of its self.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Pain is just weakness leaving the body..

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ravinsomniac
Pain is just weakness leaving the body..

He He He, Now isn't that the truth....

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Hmmmmmm,

Looks like this post has come to an end ????

Any further comments ????

top topics

join