It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current Multimedia Technology - Can we Trust What We See ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I feel lucky to be a part of a community such as this, although for only a short period of time so far but I have been asking myself questions about what it is we really do, what we want to see and ultimately if we saw it/had evidence how would it be interpreted in today's technically advance media such as CGI/Graphics manipulation software etc.

What I mean is this, with technology as it is today if we were shown an image of a UFO or alien the first thing would try and do is disprove it or find out how the image was made, taken, edited. The reason for this is that technology has come so far that can we really believe what it is we are seeing.

Look at the latest blockbuster movies with all there special effects, All the CGi work we see, hell they have been able to make movies (Final Fantasy etc) without the use or need for any live actors (Voice not included) and that was then, back in 2001.

Examples could be anything that we could question the authenticity of such as Aliens, UFO's, Bigfoot, Airplanes doing crazy things.
UFOlogists are always looking for that one image that proves there is life out there, that one image that's focused, exposed correctly and is clear to what it is. The problem now is that it would be far to easy to say it was a hoax, not real or digitally generated. We could be presented with a video from the Pentagon that clearly shows the 757 crashing into it but would we believe it (For face value not on the word of the Govn. btw) Just so we are clear, I for one don't believe that a plane hit the pentagon, I am using this as an example of what could feasibility be produced with today's tech in multimedia.

I have been a photographer for some 15+ years, but if one day I was in the right place at the right time and got a perfect image of say a Grey walking across the Bodmin Moors near me or of a USO exiting the Atlantic Ocean what would be the first impressions of the footage/image to those I show - I can say straight away that I would be ridiculed beyond believe to start with until I was able to prove that it was genuine, or I could get some big institute to confirm it such as Kodak or whoever. Even then there would be those that were still not convinced.

Am I alone in the thinking that its a mine field nowadays with any type of media people can produce in order to try and prove something. No matter how real something maybe, there's always a way to try and argue against the authenticity, and even with material that's been proven not to be tampered with (Referring to various images of UFO and other un worldly creatures) there's no 100% guaranty that it is.

Apart from something on the scale of an Independence Day style event where 100's maybe 1000's of people would witness it I feel its unnerving nowadays to produce any photographic or video graphic evidence without the fear of ridicule. In the same breath if its something that's out of this world, beyond belief etc how can we rely on any evidence produced.

I hope this makes sence and look forward to you thoughts and idea's. Can we trust what we see as much today as we could 10 years ago, and will be able to trust what we see in 10 years time as much as we can today.

Thanks for reading this, and as above I hope you understand what I am trying to convey. Also hope its in the correct section

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is nothing new. Magicians, priests, and other kinds of illusionists have been fooling people for centuries. Anyone who doesn't learn at an early age that they can't trust their own eyes possibly has some kind of mental problem. Anything truly extraordinary must always be tested and confirmed in other ways. The more extraordinary, the more tests and the more different tests must be done.

But people are lazy. Most are willing to accept all kinds of implausible, ridiculous things because they just don't want to bother digging into them. In the case of religious things, many are afraid of what they'll find (or won't find).

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

True, we can't trust what our mind thinks it perceives. What we see could be holograms. What we hear could be sonic (microwave) sound being projected to our eardrums. What we think, dream, imagine can be remotely beamed into our minds...

Religious holograms?
blog.wired.com...

Sonic sound projectors?
blog.wired.com...

Electromagnetic thought projections
portland.indymedia.org...

So is it real or Memorex?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Good post and I agree with you .Star for ya .
I also believe that holograms were used on 911 .
It just didnt seem real .
I know the demon smoke was for sure a holographic image.
But even the way the plane went into the buildings seemed strange .
Something was just off about it all .

I will never forget the feeling that there was deception involved since the very first minute I heard about it and started watching it on TV.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I have wondered if the switch to all digital TV transmissions is another way to control/edit what we will be able to see.

Edit: spelling

[edit on 18-9-2008 by VampyrOsis]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix1111

True, we can't trust what our mind thinks it perceives. What we see could be holograms. What we hear could be sonic (microwave) sound being projected to our eardrums. What we think, dream, imagine can be remotely beamed into our minds...

Religious holograms?
blog.wired.com...

Sonic sound projectors?
blog.wired.com...

Electromagnetic thought projections
portland.indymedia.org...

Add these 3 links up and what do you get?

Project Blue Beam

Buckle your seatbelts, guys - it´s gonna be a bumpy ride!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Technological progress is like an ax in the hands of a pathological criminal - Albert Einstein

No truer words said I think. Its scarey how things have got. when I started this thread I was more refering to things such as Video/Image editing etc but reading some of the replies it goes way way deeper.

'Technoloy can save life, can manipulate it and ultimately can take it. Its overall effect is fully in the hands of the one with the power to summon it and use it without remorse and not for the benfit of the many'

Crikey, that almost sounds like a proper quote

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump

Originally posted by Matrix1111

Add these 3 links up and what do you get?

Project Blue Beam

Buckle your seatbelts, guys - it´s gonna be a bumpy ride!

And this:

video.google.com...

Yes, very shocking. Nothing is what it seems to be.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Matrix1111

Started watching the video but it stopped halfway through. I am currently downloading it to carry on. Quite shocking so far

Thanks for the link
oh and star'd

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hi I represent the Justice Ministers Office for the Government of Canada .
Our new 32 bit analog computer kodack and super 32 bit analog graphics are the Government of Canada data bank and the only translation from Grey to Human is Ancient and only the canadian dual indians and aboriginals and indiginous and full eskimoe peoples speak both ancient and grey in very minute ammounts in this solar system .

The United States is now up in the Marz rovers renting space at Pluto and using thier own gear , abosulutely no Uranus and guys no visiting the main fleet in orbit ever or you get made scubb or worse only north coastal and eastern can go beyond , they are not the flyboyz in the main they are the human riderz .

Our country is solid gold first world nation and is forever free !

[edit on 19-9-2008 by jokerdazey2]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Dude, you have just confused the hell out of me with that reply

/*walks off scratching head..

top topics

join