It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA: Melamine found in baby formula made in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

FDA: Melamine found in baby formula made in China

www.usatoday.com

Reports in the Chinese news media say that as many as 60 babies have been admitted to hospitals with kidney stones and that the illnesses have been linked to powdered formula.

Melamine, a byproduct of plastic manufacturing, can be used to mimic high-protein additives.

On Friday, China Health Ministry spokesman Mao Qunan said, "Those responsible will face serious punishment," according to the Xinhua news agency. The agency said investigators concluded the chemical was added when the milk was purchased from farmers but gave no other details. It said 78 "suspicious people" were summoned for questioning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Over 7000 babies have been sickened by the tainted baby formula. This is pretty much the ultimate example of corporate greed and government bribery (especially the Chinese FDA). This is all I will say. There are no excuses for these misdeeds, and those who caused it should be eliminated from this world and tried for genocide.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I am sorry to say that I am not surprised. Remember the same situation with pet food a while back.

Greed knows no bounds.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It is disgusting. I think the people who perpetrated this crime should be made to drink that milk from this day till their last breath. The Melamine will make their Urine turn into concrete. Nice.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow, I'm surprised you're only getting this info now....it's been on our news for at least a week. But then again, our main dairy supplier was operating a joint venture with the Chinese company, the San Lu Group, to supply the milk powder. Fonterra, the NZ company, is now saying that the San Lu Group brand is 'irreparably damaged.'

I found it most odd that this story broke on our news within days of a documentary on the Tylenol murders in Chicago was aired on a local channel-especially since it allowed a comparison between how Johnson & Johnson and Fonterra are/were handling the adulteration of their products.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostbug
Wow, I'm surprised you're only getting this info now....it's been on our news for at least a week. But then again, our main dairy supplier was operating a joint venture with the Chinese company, the San Lu Group, to supply the milk powder. Fonterra, the NZ company, is now saying that the San Lu Group brand is 'irreparably damaged.'

I found it most odd that this story broke on our news within days of a documentary on the Tylenol murders in Chicago was aired on a local channel-especially since it allowed a comparison between how Johnson & Johnson and Fonterra are/were handling the adulteration of their products.

I know, I thought this has already been posted but I guess people were too busy with photoshopped UFO pics.

I've experienced first hand of this actually. I was born in China, they used to replace powdered milk with flour causing millions of cases of malnutrition due to ethical problems with breast feeding back then.

I could have died if my parents didn't spend 3/4 of their salary on my powdered milk.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Just a quick update, it's no longer just affecting China. According to this article, tainted products are showing up in exports. White Rabbit brand 'milk lollies' (or chewy candies) have shown up in Auckland also contaminated with melamine-although there's just the one case for now.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Cadburys chocolate have also recalled products and according to Sky News 22 people are being held.

"More than 480lb of the industrial chemical melamine was seized during the raids in Hebei province, according to the official news agency Xinhua.

It reported that a police investigation showed melamine was produced in underground plants and then sold to breeding farms and milk purchasing stations.

Authorities said milk suppliers might have added melamine to watered-down milk to skew quality tests because the chemical registers as protein.

The raid comes after Cadbury recalled its Chinese-made products which are distributed in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Australia.

The British chocolate maker said 11 products made at its factory in Beijing were being withdrawn."

Full article at:-

news.sky.com... 5109042?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15109042_China_Tainted_Milk_Scandal%3A_22_People_Detained_And_Melamine_Se ized_In_Hebei_Province_Raids

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...
Here a chocolate manufacturer is saying melamine in now found in chocolate from china.
It seems its in everything.
The effects of melamine?
Chronic exposure may cause cancer or reproductive damage.
Who is trying to stop people reproducing and get cancer then?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Made in China needs to be treated like a wrning lable folks it really does. Last week I poted a news story about the Chicom elite getting special food that is free of all of the contaminats. They even have thier own cabinent level ministry for it.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Here's a new one and by the way saw on news to day kids getting hospitalized in the US for kidney stones .

www.youtube.com...

PG

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There is a new thread on here about canadian chocolate coins being recalled for the same reasons. Also mentioned something about snickers bars which has me worried cause i eat them here in the usa, and I bought them from a company that sells over stocks. oye
Is there any symptoms other than long term etc. I mean if you eat it you have to get some kind of immediate symptoms dont you? Will see if I can find anything about it and get back to you when I get home.

top topics

join