It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im really scared of the dark

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ok,I know theres gonna be people that say 'oh come on your 37,your being silly' but this does stem back to my childhood and ever since slept with a light on.
When I was about 5 I can remember seeing ghosts flying out of the airing cupboard and a skeleton was sitting on the toilet laughing at me.I dont know whether this was real but its still in my mind as clear as day.

When I was 18 I had what the docs called a nervous breakdown.I was seeing things and hearing things.I shouted at someone and my voice changed into something not human and then the woman I was with shouted at me and the same voice came out her mouth then I saw a rams head just hovering.I also beleive I had a near death experience with the floating in the tunnel,except when I reached the end I didnt get to my grandad I was outside the cabin I was in.

Anyway where I live we have quite alot of power cuts and when the electric goes out I just panic and scream.I just think what I see when I was 18 wants to come back and get me.

I feel Im being tested alot of the time and I keep getting signs that I have to face my fear in order to reach my goals in life.

What I want to know is are their any others that has a fear and felt they were being tested,or even still anyone else that feels there is something in the dark.

All kids go through a stage of being scared of monsters in the dark,well Im sure all kids are and then they normally grow out of it due to upbringing.

Apart from being alone in the dark and facing whatever it is Im scared of is there anything else I can do or try?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

i don't have any solutions for you, other than the obvious confront your fears. however, i was never afraid of the dark when i was young. i'd have no problem walking around in the middle of the woods with no light. lately however, i have been a little "scared" more like nervous or paranoid, even in my own house. i have no idea why, and i never remember any event that would make me more nervous in the dark now.
EDIT: by the way, i'm only 24 now.

[edit on 9/17/2008 by smallbusiness]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanx,I guess I have to face them sometime,maybe with people at first.

I reckon its your spirit that is scared and making you feel nervous,,spirits know mosty everything dont they?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alienmindflare
Thanx,I guess I have to face them sometime,maybe with people at first.

Yep I think its something that you should face

I used to be afarid when I was younger but soon found out that anything I came across in the dark would be just as afraid of me as I would be afraid of it

These days Im not afraid of much to tell the truth. The only one place that scared me was in Port Arthur colony (now a tourist destination) in tasmania (one of the most haunted places in australia allegedly). I was alone in an old building at the back of the place, and had a weird feeling, had to leave straight away....and that was during the day

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I remember clear as yesterday when I was 5 years old seeing a Hindu life wheel like object really freaked me out.
I slept in my folks bed next night,then they kicked me out in the following days so I slept on floor in passage outside their bedroom door.
Then at 6 years I just got off my backyard swing and it got fried by lightning.

At 8 years my best friend shrived up and died of cancer at 8 fking years old sheash.

At 9 years I just got my first bicycle and went for long ride and passed by a dead body . Some kid just shotgunned his dad.

Raped at 17 years .

Hey I survived and have a neat house spouse and three Asper syndrome children.

Yes you will survive.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ozweatherman,,,I try and say to myself that nothing can hurt me,espcially in my own house and if it is some bad spirit that I feel fear of then it cant hurt me but when Im faced with being in the dark the fear is to overwhelming for me to even think anything but arghhhh gotta get out.

Thanx for your reply

ROOmeh,,,crikey that swing being struck after you got up,,now thats what I call a close shave,and the 8 and 9 yrold things,,,just shocking!
the 17yrold well I can relate

I dont know much about Asper syndrome but in my eyes any symdrome makes the child/adult a bit special

I will survive Im sure,,,thank you x

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
People with great imaginations always are affraid of the dark, because it's like an empty canvas for their imaginative abilities.

I've had this problem myself for a long time and in my case i found it was cause by a understimulated imagination. I simply had to stimulate and use my creative abilities, sort of run my imagination tired if you will.

Now i love the dark. I always turn off the lights when i go to sleep and sometimes i'll just lie and stare into it, enjoying it. Gives me peace to think.

Hope this can somehow help you.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
oh wow..I used to be totally scared of the dark. It all started when I was a kid and I had an experience similar to the op. I was eating a wholesome dinner of rice krispies in the kitchen and I looked up into the kitchen door window that opened up to the patio. It was completely dark outside and I seen these glowing red eyes looking right at me.

from that moment on, I was scared of the dark.

Later on in life I learned about and started practicing meditation and lucid dreaming, especially the wake induced style, and that really helped because when you are getting into the state required to do so, all you experience is nothingness, or darkness. The absence of light.

With the right amount of practice and determination, you can literally see in the dark and not fear it at all. I do it all the time...hella saves on the light bill

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I dont know if my imagination will ever run tired,my mind is to active,always thinking,imaginging,wishing,praying,always on the go,I remember my dreams to.

Im trying to meditate to slow it down though so maybe thats the start I need.

Thanx Justathought x

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by iiinvision

Like I just said to JustAThought I am trying meditation,,I did say once to my mum that I would be so scared if my voices and own thoughts disappeared,I have to have a hectic mind,,,but now I realize I need to slow it down,,espically as I want to become a professional meduim.

One of my best mates said his dad saw the Devil one night,he looked a normal man until he looked into his eyes and they were red as red can be.

That line you wrote,,,The absence of light,,,even made me have butterflies.

How bad is that.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
After I had an abortion at 19, I became VERY scared of the dark.
I would picture flying monkeys with knives trying to kill me. Silly, now that I look back.....
I slept with the lights on until I became a Christian at 23.
Now, I have Light with me all the time. (Jesus)

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It seems alot of different things can set being afraid of the dark off.

I very much feel Our Lord myself and have done for about 10yrs even though I prayed when I was 8 it wasnt until 10yrs ago I actually felt the love from him.Im afraid my mind overcomes that love and light.

I think I have the answer to my fear,someone mailed me and sorta hit it on the head,Im on top of an anglo-saxon graveyard and also I have a bad issue I need to sort out from my childhood.

Just wanna say thanx for your reply x

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Im on top of an anglo-saxon graveyard and also I have a bad issue I need to sort out from my childhood.

Then it's not the dark you are afraid of...

Think about it. . .That graveyard is there even when it's light out right-

2PacSade-

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Do any of these bad experiences happen when it's not dark?

If the answer is NO, then YES there may be a graveyard, but there are no spirits torturing you because they would do it in the light also!

I highly doubt a malicious entity would require an absence of light to execute it's agenda.

I get spooked when I can't see, but I realize I'm only afraid because I have presently lost my sight!

2PacSade-

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

espically as I want to become a professional meduim.

That there is a typical example of focusing your imaginative power on dark aspects of possibility.

Loss, death, ghosts, past.

No wonder you're scared. It's not really the darkness you're scared of. It's the infinite possibility that lies within. Let me show you something :

Gain, life, people, future.

There's an opposite to everything and you should focus on making yourself the authority in your mind.

Lack of creativity breeds mental passiveness. You become open to suggestion. Your imagination is in control.

Creativity breeds mental authority. The world becomes open to YOUR suggestion. You control your imagination.

Train your creative mind. Send an army of fluffy bunnies at those laughing skeletons. That outta shut them buggers up.

I remember myself as a child. I actually grew up on an ancient cemetery myself. Even dug up a few skeletons with my sis. When i got scared at night of ghosts, i had a song i would sing. Something bout "Stupid ghosts go away, i'm a cancer all i'll pinch you." or something silly like that, but hey it gave me comfort at that point

Anyways best wishes from here.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by JustAThought]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
the key to controlling your fear is breathing and to think positive thoughts.

take deep slow breaths and think of something you find funny ,like a monkey in a tuxedo or something!.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
2PacSade
I do see the odd thing and hear things in the daylight but I wouldnt say Im scared I have more courage and shout at whoever to confront me,I even pull faces in the mirror trying to make something happen.I was scared even before I moved into this house,been here 13yrs but only felt something around 1998.Back then my youngest was 4 and she was playing with a boy called Peter and thats who was at the time communicating with me and he started bullying and scaring her.I think he was the baby I lost when I was 18,the age fitted then and he left a message on my wordpad and was doing other very active things.

I think maybe because I am in touch with spirit,Im also aware of the darker side of life and like I said to someone it may be my spirit that is afraid because my spirit knows a hell of alot more and is trying to tell me something.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JustAThought

wow thats really good advice and I've never thought of the opposites like you explained.Sorta also says what I just said about what lies within.
I would say that my imgination is the one in control,Im very much a true Saggatarius and Im a dreamer.But I have recently started using my creativity by painting and Im also a poet so Im gonna start writing again,Im sure I could send an army of fluffy rabbits to whatever it is lol that does sound cool.When I lay in bed and sense something bad,I always say 'you'll never get me because I have to much love in this house,to many family/friends spirits and angels looking over me'

theres another thing that is sorta scaring me but Im wishing for it to happen,I dont know if Im visualizing this or thinking it but I have seen this alien before in spirit in a pub teaching me to dance,I called him Jukey George and I feel his gonna materlize in front of me,I must open my eyes a dozen times before I sleep because I sense him at the door.

It has helped no end reading peoples comments and I sorta think now I have more peoples spirits here helping,,,,it only takes a thought for a spirit of any kind to be anywhere in this universe.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

Im gonna try my best to do that,think happy and strong
thanx

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

Can you imagine more than one being lurking in the darkness?

Do you feel their intent?

Have you acknowledged their presence?

Could you describe the things that you imagine for us?

*I bet you don't sense any sort of anger or resentment when you turn on the lights for them - that should give you some insight into nature of what you are dealing with

No one likes the dark, especially those in it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join