It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to escape the city in Sit X

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hi all. Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere you can find out through FOIA the roads that would be covered by police, military etc. in a sit X type scenario?

I live in a major city and know where I need to get to but it's 2 1/2 hrs away when there are no complications. I realize it would depend on what type of Sit X was going on, but a blocked road is a blocked road.

What roads would be blocked and how would a person find that out in advance. There has to be a way to find that out. Thanks Jane

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

What is sit X? Sorry I should google, but perhaps you can teach me something new. I live in a major city as well. Thanks

PS welcome to the board.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Early and prior to the onset of SITX is key here.

But if you aren't in time for that then get your motor running with a bicycle strapped to it with enough supplies in your BOB.
If you get into a jam and have to ditch the vehicle ditch it and take to your bike hoping luck and chance are on your side.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
What is sit X? Sorry I should google, but perhaps you can teach me something new. I live in a major city as well. Thanks

This is an excellent thread about Sit X or Situation X.

Basically it's when the poo hits the fan for real.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Jane, I don't know that there exists any specific plan as to what roads would be blocked off/guarded in a general sense. The plans for something like a massive hurricane would differ from the plans for something like complete economic collapse, viral outbreak, mass rioting, etc.

What you should do is have every possible way out of town either committed to memory or printed out and kept in a binder along with your other "gotta go" gear. This should cover main highways, backroads, and different combinations of the above. In times of panic or distress you won't be thinking clearly, so having printouts and maps is probably the better choice.

Also you should have plans for how to get moving if you have no access to a car. You might have to bike it or hike it.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
1 Power line right of ways.(carry bolt cutters)also good for crossing the countryside. Stay off the highways, maybe blocked by broke down cars?. Weeks into SITX may be subject to "bandit" attacks
Most people don't think of this type of roads
2 Flood control channels. (carry bolt cutters, gates)
3 Railroad right of ways. most have service roads.
a Motorcycle can always be run right down between the rails.
4 In some big cities you could escape viva the subway tunnels pushing a bike. Good for a NukeX.
5 Does your city have a river going through it, go by water.
6 Some big cities have large underground storm drainage pipe systems. good for a NukeX

Some of these can be mapped ahead of time using "google maps"

I live in the country.
I plan to use some of these routes to go into cities to collect needed equipment and salvage.

Think out side of the Box

[edit on 18-9-2008 by ANNED]

[edit on 18-9-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

What exactly is a sit x?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

All excellent ideas. Stay away from roads if at all possible. Everyone else will be looking to make their exit that way. Go where the others are not. Either by bike, by foot, or Ive seen some that are setting up dirt bikes to get out of a city.

Since you know where you are going, find a few alternate routes that avoid roads. Topo maps would help. Figure what you will need just to make it to your safety. Will there be any major river crossings? Heavily populated neighborhoods? And so forth.

Of course as was mentioned, it is best to get out before the masses if you can, just to avoid the panic and insanity that is sure to follow a sit-x happening. But if you are stuck, use your head and get to safety as quickly and with as little fanfare as possible.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
4 In some big cities you could escape viva the subway tunnels pushing a bike. Good for a NukeX.

[...]

6 Some big cities have large underground storm drainage pipe systems. good for a NukeX

I am going to throw a little warning in with this suggestion: Be careful in large drainage pipe systems and subway tunnels.

In drainage pipes, you are left with the very real possibility of getting washed out should you be traveling for an extended period of time through them. No need to drown on the way out.

Secondly, and this goes for both subway tunnels and large urban drainage systems: Know the population!

Are you in a big city with a large homeless population? Some people make homes out of these little underground places and in larger cities there is an entire, surprisingly large, underground culture. Some of the residents are harmless and incredibly helpful, but there is always the possibility of violent or legitimately insane people.

I am not suggesting you go seeking out the population; far from it. I am suggesting that, if you are thinking of all possible ways out, you should be aware of all the dangers.

In a true SitX situation, the smart survivor is warry of everyone.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerricksHeroin
What exactly is a sit x?

A disaster type scenario. Nuclear attack, hurricane, flood etc.

I seriously doubt you could get "plans" of what the police or military would do for certain events. It would mean people could work around them, and I'm not sure if the police or military would want that...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
i have a jeep that i plan on using should i need ot get out. I know all the wash, hills, backroads to get where i need to go.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Interesting thoughts. Just a few to add.

Trying to exit a major urban area will be very difficult unless you leave really early. Otherwise its going to be gridlock as everybody tried to do the same. Also who knows if the city would be cordoned off in the biginning to the scenario etc. making exit even that more difficult.

IMHO you are far better off (If you do not get out early) building your plan around sheltering in place untill the crowds dissapate. Food, water, defence, etc and make sure you have the means to go mobile after. By leaving later you may not have to fight your way out which is a marginal activity if you have kids etc.

On the flip side staying if there is radiological biological dangers is a poor choice as is a natural disaster like a flood.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Thank you for the replies. I was hoping some sort of civil defense maps would help me out. I live in a suburb of Columbus Ohio and have to get to WV. I can take back roads walk, bike etc.

I guess one thing I was wondering was this: If you saw a roadblock up ahead put it in reverse and went another way would whom ever was blocking the road come after you do you think or would they let the next road block stop you ?

I was also wondering if all roads would be blocked or if just major arteries would be.

I am talking about anything other than a weather related event. Or anything that the gov't did that restricted movement when I want to go.

I am ready to bug out at the first sign of trouble, just wondering the best and safest way to do it. I do like the idea of a dirt bike though. That would let me go through corn fields if need be. Gonna look into buying one of those.

Thanks for the good advice.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
I guess one thing I was wondering was this: If you saw a roadblock up ahead put it in reverse and went another way would whom ever was blocking the road come after you do you think or would they let the next road block stop you ?

If it was an honest-to-god SitX going down, I would be exiting my city by way of anything but roads. Gridlock, thieves and police/military are something which should be treated like the plague: avoid them.

As far as whether or not you should turn tail after coming up to a road block...I suppose it depends on the number of people and urgency/hysteria of the situation.

If you approach a road block and decide to turn around while they are swamped with others, then you will probably be left alone. However, if you come across one at which you are the only person at the time...I can imagine that you may be approached.

In short: Avoid roads, and not just into/out of the city. If you can succesfully bug out to wherever it is you are going without using roads, or using them at a minimum, then you are better off.

Originally posted by seejanerun
I am ready to bug out at the first sign of trouble, just wondering the best and safest way to do it. I do like the idea of a dirt bike though. That would let me go through corn fields if need be. Gonna look into buying one of those.

Get a bike and start biking when you have the time. Learn how to identify and repair problems with it. If you can not take it apart and put it back together again, then chances are that you are going to wind up ditching it at some point.

Also, being on a bike doesn't leave you safe from those who would take advantage of your preparedness. People assume, in a SitX situation, that thieves and bandits will make their living on the roads and highways. While this is most likely true, I can not see any theif passing up the chance to have a bike...to ride or to trade.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
One day I was starring out my window and I noticed the heavy amount of bushes in my area.

One thing I thought of was to uproot one of the big bushes and build a small spider hole. Then use the bush as a fake trap door which has all the roots inside a garbage bag to keep the plant alive.

Something to temporarily hide in when the blue helmets make a visit.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Go to the National Geological Survey website and buy a local topographical map of your area or state... I bought both just to be safe. Then take it to a local copy shop and have them laminate it for you, that way rain, and just plain wear and tear wont affect it. Next purchase a military grade compass with a MANUAL, even if you don't understand basic land navigation you should at least be able to find which direction your heading by, "dead reckoning." You can look that last term up on wiki.

Anyways basically... vehicles are useless, avoid roadways, all of them, and only cross them if it's absolutely necessary. Plan a rout with your new maps that avoids roads, and anything man made. Rivers will be watched by air, as well as open areas such as open farm land, all open areas are hazard's. Think tactically, and move slowly when in cover... heading for high ground it a must... and I shouldn't have to go into a reason why. Make sure you have clothing that is durable and is in earth tones, or go down to your local Army Navy store and get some old Army fatigues. Pack light but smart... go get a portable water filter at REI. Pack WATER and some food... nothing that can spoil... IE caned food. Get a good knife, and you might want to learn some basic archery... a tomahawk or hatchet is also a must. Bury your trash, and destroy your campsite before you move on. A basic fishing kit is also a good idea.

Lastly... find a good place with a water source, and some high ground within walking distance. if you can join up with a militia group if you can find any.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
When we lived in the San Francisco area, I was always creepy-crawling various areas, finding different passages via car, bike, foot. When the Loma Prieta earthquake hit, I actually had to take my Honda Prelude off-road and over railroad tracks to get back home, to where my communications equipment was. I'd been in a supermarket, and cars were mashed together, and even secondary roads were jammed.

Thing is, people will abandon their cars with no regard toward those that might need to pass behind them. People panic and people are the primary danger, after the original event. If you can navigate a route that avoids mobs or gatherings of people, I'd guess you'll be better of, safer.

If I were in your position, I'd think about having a bike carrier for my car, and having a knowledge of alternate routes to my destination. Likewise, might be an advatage to have your BOB in a backpack, so if you had to abandon your auto and take to the bike, you could wear your BOB.

Many good thoughts on alternate routes in this thread. I love that about ATS..... we can all pool our ideas and benefit from them and most are more than willing to do so.

If you had to go it on foot or bike away from the roads, do you have good maps and compass/gps skills and equipment that you could get to your location even if you had to take to the country? Might be worth looking into. I think you're very brave and smart for thinking about all this and gathering resources before the need, even if it never happens.

Edit to add: I think Fred's ideas have very realistic merit. I've seen people fight to be part of the mass migration, and some of them not even knowing where they were going, just going.... a person might be wise to make provisions for both scenarios. I like Nobody's idea too.... it's just quirky enough to work! To be safe in your location until such time as one can move safely to a better location.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by argentus]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Once again. Thank you. I am going to get those maps on Monday and have them laminated. I have lived in this area for over 20 yrs and could actually get where I need to get to without a map but I hear my father's voice saying use the right tool for the right job.

I would have used the roads as far as I could. I now have a different outlook. Probably one that will keep me safer and allow me to arrive where I need to be, even if it takes me a week to get there as opposed to a shorter amount of time.

Thank you for opening my eyes. Jane

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Be careful how you plan to evade... major highways will be so hopelessly jammed that you will get nowhere. Dirt bikes - how do you plan to get gasoline ?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Small world. I too felt Loma Prieta (was at Candelstick for the World Series) It took me over 6 hours to exit the park and go 20 or so miles to my home by car the roads were so jammed. And that was lucky IMHO

top topics

<<   2 >>

join