It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we take all our shares out of banks????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Should shareholders take all their shares out of banks because they make them no money at all at the moment?
In the 1930s we militarised and spent cash on that. That led to war.
In the 1990s we invested in mortgages and spent cash on that. That led to chaos.
In the 20 naughties, do we power up and invest in energy?
Like renewables? Is this the new way to spend out of a recession, like heating us all up without oil?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
as soon as all collapses your money and stocks are gone...

so investing it on something else wouldn't be a bad idea.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

I don't know what else we can do, what else is there? everybody is telling no to panic.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
as soon as all collapses your money and stocks are gone...

so investing it on something else wouldn't be a bad idea.

So you reckon a few photo-electric cells to sit on may come handy at some point in the future?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

for example, though I would stock up food and something to defend yourself with first.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
reply to post by redled

for example, though I would stock up food and something to defend yourself with first.

Yeah, but the lies are going to bear us out and we need a new direction for behaviour. My stocks are gone, I've got no food, but credit cards are still viable and I'll get myself some food, and a photo eclectic screen to sit on, and wonder, how is the government going to spend us out of this? What do they get in return? Maybe off oil? Maybe that's ambitious and I should stick to your plan of buying some mash 'n' beans........

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If you personally have enough excess money to spare...
i would buy or increase my positions in the "Regional Bank" stocks,

only because the thread topic is about 'banks'

my local BB&T bank (shares) will most likely 'weather the storm'
but... i won't make it a point to 'buy' BB&T stocks from the git-go !

my view is that 'investment banks' will all lose value...
and many other 'commercial banks' will follow suit...

Hey !.... it's your call

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
James 5:3
Your gold and your silver have rusted; and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh like fire. It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure!

I have read many are suggesting converting your monies to gold but...

Godspeed

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
No actually now is the time to buy certain banks. This whole deal is by design and the survivors will make a mint.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I honestly believe those of us that stayed clear of the investing are going to be better off, even though we are all in the same boat on the grander sceem of things.

People ask me all the time, should I sell my stocks? What if I loose my butt over that... and I respond, well, I'm fine, I don't have stocks, I don't use unsecured credit cards, as it's a waist of resources. I have 1 secured card for car rentals / plane tickets then it's paid off before interest kicks in, so I have nothing to loose when the market crashes. I'd rather stock up on food, water, survival resources, hunting gear, camping gear, etc.,

Buy Silver, it can be used for more as a resource verses gold, and it's not as big of an investment, weighs about the same, but...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
No actually now is the time to buy certain banks. This whole deal is by design and the survivors will make a mint.

ya, picking out the survivors is a crapshot though. depending on what you own, you would probably be taking a big loss if you sold now....hopefully you aren't so cash strapped that you have to. Mind you I don't play the stock market, and thus, really have pretty much limited knowldge of it. But, I do have a rather bad feeling about what is going on. and well, I do know that you don't sell on a low at least. at least wait till the new sec rules come into play and see how much or the chaos eases up when the leashes are put on the short sellers. I think we might get a clearer picture of what we have then. I mean, how can a market where people are buying stock that they don't have, don't have really a clue where they are getting it, who are just plain betting that that stock will go down so they can buy it then and deliver it to their buyer....how can such a market be close to having accurate estimates of value?

but, I wouldn't sell, I wouldn't buy, I just be sitting...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROO-meh
I have read many are suggesting converting your monies to gold but...

...it's too late.
www.cnbc.com...

The traditional bullet-proof piggy bank got dusted off like 5 days ago after losing some 50 bucks of its 1 September value. Now you need to shed out about $200 more for an ounce.

Which way things will go is anybody's guess. If ATS Global Meldown thread was syndicated with Wall St Journal, I would buy a gold mining pan, a tent, . . .

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by redled

I don't know what else we can do, what else is there? everybody is telling no to panic.

I have to make this short, using my Verizon Card for this internet time (costing me something like $10 a min at the mo) We just got power last night after not having it since Sun morning, and internet is still down and not expected to be back up ...... and im missing all the fun at the end of the World.

Let me break it down for you Marge, and all others in the same situation.

DO YOU NEED YOUR MONEY? If yes, take it out or re-invest into more secure banks (Barclay, Bank of America, all reletively secure) .. stay away from banks like Washington Mutual which will be dead in a matter of weeks, if not days.

IS THIS INVESTMENT FUNDS? NOT NEEDED IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY? keep them IN BANKS .. there is NO point in dumping a stock you had probably purchased for 300% it's current value!!!

It's called riding the waves, just sit back and FORGET ABOUT IT .. most investments in institutions like banks are meant to be 10-50 year investments where you collect dividends and only cash in for retirement, or a splurge on your self.. money kept away for a rainy day. I repeat DO NOT THROW AWAY GOOD STOCK FOR PENNIES KEEP IT AND PUT IT OUT OF YOUR MIND.

If you are invested in a bank you are certain it will collapse, after consulting a licensed adviser, you may be better off taking what you can get and run.

Many bank stocks fell flat on their face after big funds dumped the stock to try and keep a "not-so-bad" portfolio after taking massive losses. 401K investments, long term goals, these are ok to invest in banks.

All the time I got folks, hopefully I will be online for good soon enough, but then again I never expected 4 days with no electricity or water either....

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
if you actually need the money (i.e money is tight)
take your money out if it is in an investment bank. SELL most shares

as long as housing prices go down bank stocks will follow !!!

If you don't really need the money, well you may want to keep it in, but i got to admit i would prob sell them anyway, they might just go under.

The pundits on tv will hardly ever tell you to pull your actual money out of a bank , because they don't wan't to incite panic! Banking is a confidence game, it is a mind F%$K. The banks loan out so many more times there reserves that falling collateral (house prices) and pulling deposits restricts there ability to lend by a factor of 10. concerning deposits make sure you are FDIC insured but REMEMBER it will take alot of people a while to get there money back cause the fdic does not currently have the money to back up much deposit losses.

If you have a good safe i would put it there. But what is good advice for an individual is not good advise for the country, if everyone followed that good advice all the banks would go under.

The REAL PROBLEM is that the top of the economic pyramid is having trouble pilling more debt on the bottom of the pyramid (upper middle down thru the lower classes) . This is the perspective you will rarely hear.

think of the economy as having two sides. A production (industrial side) and the FIRE sector (finance, insurance, and real estate). The fire sector has been growing as the corporations and lobbyists in these industry's have gained more and more control thru lobbying $$ the politicians over the last 70 years. They succeded in getting wonderful reductions in there taxes , the federal gov't basically went from taxing these groups to borrowing from these groups (and paying them interest) this must be understood and told. there is a revolving door between public and private sector employment in washington which leads to the "regulators" being mostly nothing more than the "foxes guarding the henhouse". .

the top of the economic food chain (the creditors) are finding it increasing difficult to generate more and more debt to keep the ponzi scheme going. they can't really pile much more on the lower classes, (not like the lower classes could take on much more anyhow!) they pulled out all the stops. Deregulation, extraodinary high leverage, loaning to people much more money then they could ever pay back, almost like they were taking full advantage of what they knew was going to be the last hurrah. They did not do this because they thought it was going to be good for the economy, they did this out of greed and because they could. Make no mistake, the system has worked great for the wealthy "money changers", it has not really "failed" it worked as they wished for as long as it can. You will not hear this perspective on TV and you will not read it in any college economic class (which are given generous endowments from the fire sector beneficiary's)

you have been taken for a ride

the MAGIC of compounding interest makes it nearly impossible for the majority of people to pay all there debts. Fractional reserve banking at interest always ends the same way.........with debt slaves. I believe The feudal system of debt peonage is returning. Kind of like the way things worked century's ago. Intelligent powerful people know this eventually happens, and they have been planning for a new social infrastructure in this now " global" economy for a couple generations......this will be the NWO.......this will be a process that unfolds over YEARS and not an event.

p.s due to this county's (and many others btw) dependance on easy credit and dependance on the service sector for employment , the real economic (insert D word) has the best % to take hold when the upper class, (top 75-95%) of the money earners get pinched HARD and LONG, the downward re-inforcing spiral of unemployment and less consumer lending/spending will be .............sobering........and even historic ..........the depth of this plunge IMO will be determined by the TIMING and enactment of a massive GOV'T WORK program generally related to clean technology. lots of pain must be handed out first to get the wheels of change to sense the urgency to turn. This is the BEST and most likely PATH given the puzzle pieces in place. You will probably have to play by the NWO's rules to get a job in the system, should this materialize. (this will probably mean getting a "chip' as well as having less freedoms") but many people should do well in this job sector, depending on there preparedness and connection.......you may want to get a leg up on the competition (education wise) or try and build connections in this area!

l

[edit on 17-9-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
The pundits on tv will hardly ever tell you to pull your actual money out of a bank , because they don't wan't to incite panic! Banking is a confidence game, it is a mind F%$K. The banks loan out so many more times there reserves that falling collateral (house prices) and pulling deposits restricts there ability to lend by a factor of 10. concerning deposits make sure you are FDIC insured but REMEMBER it will take alot of people a while to get there money back cause the fdic does not currently have the money to back up much deposit losses.

If you have a good safe i would put it there. But what is good advice for an individual is not good advise for the country, if everyone followed that good advice all the banks would go under.

Just go ahead everyone and pull your money out. But don't be surprised when your foreman fails to show up on Friday with your paycheck. ("Sorry, Joe. Not my fault. The banks screwed up.") Just quit your job -- you won't work for free, right? -- use the cash in your safe to get by and then . . .

Well, there are a few options: Robbing banks is silly, there is nothing in there, so get what you need by repeatedly robbing your local liquor store -- if it's still in business.

[edit on 9/17/2008 by stander]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

There is a great quote about this

Well, there are a few options: Robbing banks is silly, there is nothing in there, so get what you need by repeatedly robbing your local liquor store -- if it's still in business.

but I can't remember it. Something along the lines of "the dumb man is stealing cash from the bank, the smart man knows it's worthless (and is stocking up)" ... I hate butchering quotes!

While I don't think it will get that bad, people need to realize that we live in a society that collapses when a thunderstorm knocks out the power for a few hours. Most people would be insolvent without credit cards within a matter of days. Few people have enough food, especially non-perishable, to subsist for more than 3 days. The truly poor know what these conditions are like already, they should fare rather well. I think the middle class, as many have suggested, will be the ultimate victim here. The mortgage payments they couldn't afford, the car payments, the credit card payments, they/we could be wiped out. And no one is stopping it.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Invest in banks that have the most currency backed by gold. Swiss francs is backed by the most gold, I suggest you invest in swiss banks.

top topics

join