It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rice to make 'significant' speech on Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Rice to make 'significant' speech on Russia

www.breitbart.com

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will give "a significant speech" on Thursday about the consequences for Russia over its invasion of Georgia, a senior US official said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
One step further towards WW3...

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I will defer my judgement until she had her speech but I fear that you may well be right. A parting shot across the bow. Strange times, my friend.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Two words: Oh Crap!

But let's try not to immediately think the worst.

This is worded somewhat carefully. It implies that Rice will lay out what the consequences ARE for Russia so it doesn't sound like she' just going to get up there and shake her finger saying, "No, no, no Russia. You've been a bad boy. Now knock it off or I'll put you in your room" Obviously it will be more like, "You've been bad now GO TO YOUR ROOM."

What the 'punishment' will be is anyone's guess and purely speculative at this point.

Now I'd like digress and point out the utter stupidity that this is even happening.

What consequences does Georgia have to pay for attacking it's own people?

And how will we explain how what Russia did was wrong when we just went into a sovereign country, Pakistan, and attacked their people without any kind of communication with it's government that we were going to do this?

[edit on 17-9-2008 by nunya13]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
She just drags things out doesn't she?

It's been how long now since the conflict? That conflict has ended, Russia is back to peacekeeping procedures as agreed with by Georgia...

... and Rice wants to make a bigger deal out of it.

Something tells me she's upset cause she didn't get the shiny new war she wanted.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
will no doubt give stocks more reason to fall even more...but I guess it makes sense...if back in the 'closed door congress meeting' they knew things were going to collapse, whats the worst 'best' thing they can do...go to war right?

not long after Georgia happens and its like were head on trying to fire up the Russians, seriously its like we are going out of our way to do it....or am I just way off

something else to watch for tomorrow, I could be wrong; maybe she'll say how good friends we are with the Russians and we're not going to let a thing like Georgia get in the way of future peace and co-operation

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think it will be more along like the lines of expulsions and blacklisting of Russia within different organizations and such. War with Russia makes no sense.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
These bunghole political leaders we have in charge right now need to do one of two things:

1) go ahead and pony up and push the freakin buttons and let loose the "dawgs of war" on everyone they have a grudge against and get it over with, or

2) go ever so quietly into the night, never to be heard from again

I get sick to death of hearing about how they flirt with all of these political leaders to insure that they can sustain the most long term suffering on the people of the world. The US political leadership is currently no better than any political leadership in the world that has ever been condemned for crimes against humanity and its citizenship. I say round em all up and start clean. Out with the ole-boys club politics, In with new thinking and new structure. I would rather suffer a learning curve than deal with this same junk that has been the norm for so long.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Recently wasn't is Medvedev or Putin who was talking sternly about the US but called her "Our very good friend Ms. Rice" or something like that?

Hey, she's got power, and it's oil based, for sure, and I imagine Condi's smart enough to betray her masters at the right time. The world is hers...

Now might be the time for any reasonable man in power to cut a deal with her, I guess.

smallpeeps

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Medvedev promises Georgia enclaves protection; Rice's 'significant' speech

MOSCOW — Russia deepened its relations with Georgia’s two breakaway regions on Wednesday, even as the Bush administration was intensifying its warnings that Russia was “on a one-way path to self-imposed isolation and international irrelevance.”

In Washington, the administration’s criticism of Russia is reaching new intensity in remarks prepared for Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. In a speech she is to deliver before the German Marshall Fund on Thursday, Ms. Rice will challenge Russia in some of the most stinging language she has used in office.

“What has become clear is that the legitimate goal of rebuilding Russia has taken a dark turn with the rollback of personal freedoms, the arbitrary enforcement of the law, the pervasive corruption at various levels of Russian society and the paranoid, aggressive impulse, which has manifested itself before in Russian history,” she will say, according to her prepared remarks, which were pointedly released in advance to draw added attention to them.

So far only Nicaragua has joined Russia in recognizing the two as sovereign nations, as has Hamas, the Palestinian faction that controls Gaza. Ms. Rice mocks Russia’s diplomatic efforts in her remarks. “A pat on the back from Daniel Ortega and Hamas is hardly a diplomatic triumph,” she says, referring to Nicaragua’s president.

In her prepared remarks, Ms. Rice seeks to make the case that Russia has already paid a price for its actions by scuttling a nuclear cooperation agreement with the United States and undermining its chances of joining the World Trade Organization and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a multinational group that promotes free markets and democracies.

In unusually blunt language, she criticizes “a worsening pattern of behavior” that has made Russia “increasingly authoritarian at home and aggressive abroad.” While she places some blame on Georgia for attacking South Ossetia, Ms. Rice describes Russia’s response as “what, by all appearances, was a premeditated invasion of its independent neighbor.”

(Rest of the article: The New York Times)

[edit on 18-9-2008 by chips]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
In times like these I ask myself
WWRD? (what would Regan do?)
and in this case Reagan would bring down the hammer hard and draw a line in the sand, step up to the line and stare Putin dead in the eyes and say "bring it beeeotch!"

it is then that Putin will realize he has a paper machet military and Regan doesn't bow up unless he is ready to kick you in the head and Putin will rethink his badass stance and play nice with the rest of the kids in the playground.

Do we have someone in the whitehouse that can play Reagan this time??

Condy Rice???

for crissakes...we're doomed.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

In unusually blunt language, she criticizes “a worsening pattern of behavior” that has made Russia “increasingly authoritarian at home and aggressive abroad.” While she places some blame on Georgia for attacking South Ossetia, Ms. Rice describes Russia’s response as “what, by all appearances, was a premeditated invasion of its independent neighbor.”

Do some people not see the GUH-LARE-ING hypocrisy of this statement alone? I mean, let alone all the other statements the admin has made against Russia as of late.

--“a worsening pattern of behavior” that has made Russia “increasingly authoritarian at home and aggressive abroad.”

So spying on your citizens, stifling protests, and creating laws that circumvent the Constitution isn't authoritarian behavior on the US's part? How many countries are we in abroad? How many countries have we threatened aggressively with military action?

--Ms. Rice describes Russia’s response as “what, by all appearances, was a premeditated invasion of its independent neighbor.”

I almost don't even want to touch this one, but we all know, and it IS a fact, that Bush premeditated going into Iraq. He just needed an excuse and he got one (or let it happen).

Condi's "significant" speech wound up being a significant FLOP!

new topics

top topics

join