It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would your faith be affected if Extraterrestrials were to come here?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I don't know if this is the right forum for this discussion, but I really couldn't find one that did fit.

The question for this thread is what effect, if any, would the undeniable evidence of intelligent extraterrestrial life, such as a UFO landing on the White House lawn, have on your religious faith? Could your faith survive such a revelation? Please state your faith in your post.

I am a Wiccan, and it would have no effect whatsoever on my faith in the Divine.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
oops mybad. ( Seeing Double Double)

[edit on 17-9-2008 by antar]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Religions and spiritual practices do not interfere with my personal path.

To equate religion with E.T. is a sign you are still looking outside yourself for the anwsers.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Since I have no particular belief in the supernatural, it wouldn't affect me much. I would just first think it was super cool...

... and then the mortifying dread would set in at the knowledge that we are no longer top of the intelligence or food chain, or necessarily anywhere near it. And that's a really bad place to be. Ask any chicken.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
What if these hypothetical ET's had come here to convert us to their faith, ( possibly with guns) After all they would be an interstellar race,probably a great deal older than us so their idea of a god or gods would in all probability be a lot older that any human theology. Would You convert? After all they where around first, right?
Oh sorry, I'm an atheist so no imaginary friends.
What If they had come with a 'convert or die' mentality? After all many humans do this, yes christians...yes really, Africa. Would you convert to their personal gods or god?
I hope for a visit by atheist Et's. I think I would feel safer.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by tonyJ]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I used to be a christian (one with a mind for science I might add) and I have always believed that intelligent life exists elsewise, even as a child. My beliefs contrasted with my peers quite a bit, but I could not rationalise that the entire universe was empty even when I was a fundie creationist. It was inconceivable that we were the only ones that God made.

I guess extraterrestrials making themselves known would strengthen my belief in God. I don't like the concept of faith, I logic and evidence I'd rather take.

I'm now agnostic.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Ha ha Nohup...Ask any chicken. That was cool. I see your point.

If an ET craft landed on the White House lawn and ET's got out and we affirmed it really was ET my belief in God would not change. God created the heavens and the earth.

But you can bet your bippy I would be praying hard and long that our new arrivals would be friendly.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
No! If anyting I would want to speak to the Extra Terrestrials and get my hands on their version of the Bible.

I would interested to see if Jesus visited them as well (A theory actually thought up by the Catholic church), whether their 'Adam and Eve' fell just as ours did, and how God went about creating their planet.

Most of these questions are ones that have been on my mind for years. I would also like to speak with their religious leaders. How were they able to keep religion and science together and not apart? (This is mentioned by one abductee who wrote a very interesting book.) It's all really interesting stuff to know.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It would confirm what I believe. Quickly, I'll state why from the Bible:
Daniel 7 states the last kingdom before Messiah comes to establish His kingdom says that it would be very diverse from all the rest; believe diverse is shenaw in hebrew meaning altered, changed. It says it three times in that chapter, so the point was strongly made. Daniel 2:43 says the kingdom shall be mingled/mixed with the seed of men:

Dan 2:43 And whereas1768 thou sawest2370 iron6523 mixed6151 with miry2917 clay,2635 they shall1934 mingle themselves6151 with the seed2234 of men:606 but they shall1934 not3809 cleave1693 one1836 to5974 another,1836 even as1888, 1768 iron6523 is not3809 mixed6151 with5974 clay.2635

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

... and then the mortifying dread would set in at the knowledge that we are no longer top of the intelligence or food chain, or necessarily anywhere near it. And that's a really bad place to be. Ask any chicken.

I'm wondering if you're kidding - or if it would really bother you?

I've wondered about that myself - for myself - and people in general

but seriously - how do we deal with the idea of a species - who we're NOT calling god - being so far ahead of us?

it's a weird place to be

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I've never had a specific faith - just an idea

which doesn't amount to much

but I've never been able to imagine a universe without them - kind of just assumed "others" exist

however people choose to see god - or use the word god - I see it as being bigger than all of us - even the ETs

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think the only thing that aliens landing anywhere indisputably will do is answer the "is there life out there" question, so it won't change anything (faithwise) for pritty much everyone.

But then It would spawn many more questions. The answers to those questions will have an affect on peoples beliefs.

reply to post by the_watcher

What if they didn't have a bible? What if they binned whatever religious books aeons ago? What if they said there was no creation event? Or even if they we polytheists?

[edit on 9/18/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It would affirm my idea that God is underestimated by all those on earth. We don't give him enough credit.

My faith tells me he has other works of art out there.. Many more.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
i would welcome them as one of the creator's/gods' children....

Unless they try to zap or probe me then its on and they just became gods red headed stepchild

Peace

Justice

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by the_watcher

Due to the fact that the closest place they could've come from is light years away it would be fair to assume they were far more intelligent than we are. That means that they probably ditched religion as anything other than curious fairytales a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away!)

Hopefully one day we as a race will be able to put religious nonsense behind us and we can finally progress as a species to their level of intelligence and technology.

Although if the spaceship looks like a DC-9 with rockets and his name is Xenu..........

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

yeah it wouldn't disturb my faith at all in fact it would probably make my faith stronger because all these alien creatures and races are described in all the ancient scriptures in the world. you can call them angels or demons from the heavenly or hellish planets or you can call them aliens but its the same thing.
actually i think the whole scientific revolution was just a huge coverup to hide the fact that these creatures exist so that we could be more easily controlled by them. if you go back 500 or so years everybody on the planet beleived in heaven and hell and the creatures that lived in them

thats it

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It would not affect my belief system at all. However it reminds me of something I read ages ago, a Christian was posting that if aliens arrived they should be converted to Christianity because Jesus is the Lord of all, not just those on Earth.

That might explain why aliens have not announced their presence to the masses, maybe they want to avoid hearing about it.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
It would not affect my belief system at all. However it reminds me of something I read ages ago, a Christian was posting that if aliens arrived they should be converted to Christianity because Jesus is the Lord of all, not just those on Earth.

That might explain why aliens have not announced their presence to the masses, maybe they want to avoid hearing about it.

Or that it makes them doubt our intelligence.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
personally I'm hoping the aliens do land. might just shut up all those crazy evangelists out there.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
personally I'm hoping the aliens do land. might just shut up all those crazy evangelists out there.

AMEN!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join