It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Hack's Palin's Yahoo Email

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

WTH are you crazy? Why are you being so sheepish? She was not using her yahoo email for her government job, she has one for that. Jebus, what are you people smoking? Are you seriously going off the assumptions that some people have made? What govenment business was she using it for? It's like it's so easy to just say whatever and people will just believe. Do you even have any idea what you are referring to? Or just assuming she did something horrible? Do you read the National Enquirer and go OHHH NOOOO WAY, NO SHE DID'IN and take it as truth.

I'll cut you some slack here, it doesn't sound like you're out in the job force yet.

It doesn't matter. Her entire PC was compromised by a simple security hole. If she ever logged into a remote intranet, they have the passwords. If she has any saved confidential docs, they have them. They could have waited for her to let details slip that would allow them into other systems or gain inside information.

If it is just a personal account she shouldn't be discussing her job at all using an insecure medium and looking at the subject lines, she was.

The fact it made the media is embarrassing, it shows shes a weak link in security and she holds a high position. If she worked for me I would expect just based on that, stockholders would demand her dismissal. I'd can her first though

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician
Hahaha. It only took one day?

I was on the "anonymous" site the day before and read a thread where someone suggested hacking her email account and a few other people agreed to try.

That's too funny.

I'd like to see some proof of this claim. Anonymous is NOT an organization. It is a movement against Scientology. Do some research.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

It seems odd that the very liberals who claim to be the champions of civil liberties, one of which is the right to privacy, are enthusiastically gnawing their tongues off over this illegal invasion of a person's privacy. Hmmm....let's see, over the internet....that brings in the FBI.....a vice presidential candidate....that requires the Secret Service.

P.S. If it were Senator Biden's email.....I'm sure they'd have the ACLU lawyers crawling all over the place. Oh, by the way, the emails were obtained illegally without a warrant and thus, could not be used as evidence.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Originally posted by logician magician
Hahaha. It only took one day?

I was on the "anonymous" site the day before and read a thread where someone suggested hacking her email account and a few other people agreed to try.

That's too funny.

I'd like to see some proof of this claim. Anonymous is NOT an organization. It is a movement against Scientology. Do some research.

What is the title of this thread? "Anonymous Hack's Palin's Yahoo Email"

What is it that you don't understand?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Isn't it illegal to use a non-government issued email address for official business because it sidesteps oversight and transparency rules? I seem to remember Bush, Cheney or Rove did something similar. It's on a private server so it's no longer covered by Freedom of Information Requests. The scandal here is not that her email was hacked it was that she was potentially attempting to use it to keep certain information away from prying eyes.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sardion2000

If she was using Yahoo to bypass government transparency laws (whatever they are) then the hacked email would contain hundreds of messages between Palin and various parts of the government not a small amount that can easily be non-governmental communication.

All I see is more personal stuff being "exposed".

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper
reply to post by Lasheic

So we have potentially incriminating things that havn't been seen. We have a mess of assumptions and what ifs. All we really have as far as substance is nothing but personal emails, show me the incriminating emails. Yikes, you chumps are diving head first in to this thing like she did something horrible, yet she hasn't....as far as we know.....ooooohhhhhh. As some have said, this has failed to make her look bad and it has only furthered in making her look like a victim, which ofcourse she is in this case. Which email is it you would like to see her slammed for? The fellow politician using a public email to fly under the radar telling her to pray? Got to go through the proper channels for that kind of stuff huh?

You chumps? Which email would I like to see her get slammed for?

You seem to misunderstand. I'm just sitting back and enjoying the sweet drama of the whole mess, watching both the media frenzy and watching anon squirm from somehow snatching massive fail from the jaws of godly win.

Anon is not to be taken lightly. Anon is not to be taken seriously.

Originally posted by projectvxn
Anonymous is completely focused on the destruction of Scientology. I'm willing to bet that this was done by a good hacker from the Church of Scientology just to deflect attention back on what is now their most powerful enemy. This just doesn't seem to be Anonymous' style at all.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by projectvxn]

Anon is never completely focused on anything. They are not the good guys. They are not the bad guys. Anon has been around for as long as there has been an internet, before they were even anon. The war on Scientology is only one of the latest projects, and it's not necessarily supported by Anon even though Anon wages it.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
This is not a privacy issue. This is not a partisan issue. This is a national security issue. There's a reason that there are highly secured government email addresses, and it was Palin's choice not to use them.

Newsflash, there are hackers in places that aren't the USA. Sensitive information, ANY information relating to government should not be on a commercial server. Yahoo is not a government entity.. If you read their privacy policy it basically states that while they won't give your information away - everything they collect about you, they will respond to subpoenas and legal requests, and in the event of a merger, will tell you before they give your information away, but will still do it. Yahoo's email service, like all web-based email services, also stores your mail directly on it's server - your communications are not simply passing through on their way to your machine, but they are staying on a corporate, publically owned machine.

This is NOT the way to security, which is the reason the smart people who run government servers don't just say "Hey, we could all save a lot of money if we just use Yahoo for our email".

It's all very well to blame the hackers for their illegal acts, but the internet is a world wide vehicle for communication. It's like you just built a military base in the middle of the ocean, but gave it no defenses, no guns, nothing. You didn't even put some soldiers on it, just put a few hired lackeys who could be bribed, or make money for their own personal interests by letting people on the base, and then you put a few billion dollars worth of gold on the base. It's all very well and good to say "That's illegal" when someone steals the gold, but you'd be laughed at constantly by people who realize that you just did something incredibly stupid, and it's your own fault.

So yes.. it's illegal for people to hack, but do you really think that hackers in China, for example, care about what's illegal in the US? Do you really think that someone supposedly ready to rule the free world has the national security credentials to do so, when they can't understand the basic stupid mistake they make by using yahoo for their personal correspondence?
The instant I saw that Palin's email address had been posted in a few places online, the instant I knew it would be hacked very shortly. Up to that point, her account was secure through obscurity, not for any other reason. She is completely and utterly culpable, and has no-one else to blame.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I salute you (?)

The funny thing is (?) or anyone can leak anything and claim to say that it was from her email, and Palin will deny it naturally expected of her really. But it will a lot make of people think.. after all they have made the news that this indeed did happen.

Think about that one..

Dissent (?/!)

Edit: Changed after all they had screen shots.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by conway21]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
The instant I saw that Palin's email address had been posted in a few places online, the instant I knew it would be hacked very shortly. Up to that point, her account was secure through obscurity, not for any other reason. She is completely and utterly culpable, and has no-one else to blame.

That's the problem with secrecy. Folks think that obscurity increases security. And this is one reason that Palin's email accounts were eventually hacked. Security through obscurity doesn't work. Some say that if a system that is designed to be secure doesn't take into account that the enemy knows the system, then that system should be avoided at all costs. The most secure systems "assume that the enemy knows the system".

Auguste Kerckhoffs' six cryptography principles:

The law was one of six design principles laid down by Kerckhoffs for military ciphers. Translated from French, they are:[1]

1. The system must be practically, if not mathematically, indecipherable;
2. It must not be required to be secret, and it must be able to fall into the hands of the enemy without inconvenience;
3. Its key must be communicable and retainable without the help of written notes, and changeable or modifiable at the will of the correspondents;
4. It must be applicable to telegraphic correspondence;
5. It must be portable, and its usage and function must not require the concourse of several people;

6. Finally, it is necessary, given the circumstances that command its application, that the system be easy to use, requiring neither mental strain nor the knowledge of a long series of rules to observe.

[Emphasis mine.]
en.wikipedia.org...

Bruce Schneier ties it in with a belief that all security systems must be designed to fail as gracefully as possible:

"Kerckhoffs' principle applies beyond codes and ciphers to security systems in general: every secret creates a potential failure point. Secrecy, in other words, is a prime cause of brittleness—and therefore something likely to make a system prone to catastrophic collapse. Conversely, openness provides ductility."
en.wikipedia.org...

I first heard of Kerckhoffs' principle seven years ago from Bruce Schneier.

Anyway, this goes to show that just as someone eventually revealed the location of the Bush Administration's documents that authorized illegal wiretapping of U.S. citizens, so did Sarah Palin's use of personal email to conduct government business was soon discovered, and her email account eventually hacked. (Palin would not cite executive privilege for purely personal emails.) Both scenarios required secrecy as the full force of the security, and both involved more than one person knowing about the secrets. Should be easy to understand how both systems were eventually compromised and suffered catastrophic failure.

Secrecy makes liars and cheats out of people. It also fosters dissension and jealousy among those in the know. Secrecy imperils integrity.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Areal51]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CreeWolf

That's why Democrats like big government. They need big government to step in because they can't behave themselves on their own!

GWB hasn't exactly behaved himself. Don't blame the party without looking at the facts. Research, the Democrates are for the common man, the Republicans are for the rich - elite and corporatioins who pay for their loyalty in campaign funds.

"Can't behave themselves" Bush lied and manipulate us into a trilllion dollar war to avenge his father.

I won't even go into stealing the first and maybe second elections.

Smear campaign, what about Clinton and Monica? Yes it was true, however when Clinton left office we had a surplus. What do we have now? Ask yourself that last question. I don't expect politicians to be morally perfect but however I do expect them to be effective in running our government. The Republicans have shown themself unable to run the country as well as having always resorted to attacking personalities vs policy (and side tracking everyone) and now the Democrates are being forced to answer in kind.

When Bush leaves office our children's children will still be paying for his lies.

Party prejudice is easy just flip the switch and poof your done. Research and educating yourself as to what is really going on is a bit harder.

If anyone out there can still vote Republican after the last eight years, millions of jobs, millions of home foreclosures, millions of tax breaks for the rich and companies taking their jobs overseas..........you are absolutely nuts the Republican's have already got us living in a police state.

and Palin, not a good choice. Just as vindictive, dumb and corrupt as GWB, but prettier.

If the Republicans are a party of "small government" then how come we have a 400 billion dollar deficit this year?

Your ideas are decades out of date the Democrates are the ones shown to be able to balance the budget when they control the presidency.

Lastly. The American people are again being side tracked and kept busy while things fall apart and the real issues are not being addressed.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 18-9-2008 by ofhumandescent]

[edit on 18-9-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

wikileak and its mirrors are bieng ripped down minutes after opening

the pirate bay torrents still active just none of the websites

either there really are that many people rushing to every mirror and killing them in thier eagerness or somthings going on, and considering the seeds/pers are both below double figures (thats what my utorrent is telling me) hardly seems like the mass rush needed to kill the sites

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
(W)orld (o)f (w)arcraft, I didn't know Johnny Anonymous was a hacker.

Getting serious, I've noticed the lag on wikileaks, and on one point I couldn't access it at all (as I cannot right now). It might be the heavy traffic but it could be something else too
It seems like purposeful, wikileaks needs alternative servers quickly! Also this word needs to be spread - Palin is endangering the governmental confidentality by using personal emails for her work

-v

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by shipovfools
Sounds like Mrs. Palin may be in some hot water

GOVENOR Palin isn't in 'hot water'.
But the idiots who broke the law by breaking into her account sure will be.

The emails were all personal and had family pictures... etc.
No 'hot water' there.

What I find amazing is that the same people who get all uptight over the Patriot Act and privacy laws are now applauding that the Govenor has her personal emails and personal pictures hacked into and splattered on the internet. :shk:

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
Privacy ? You mean i cant look at her email but she can watch mine?

The only reason the government would look at your emails or listen to your phone conversations is if you were conversing with terrorists overseas. Are you? If not, then they aren't listening in. They don't care about your family pictures or your day to day discussions with your grandma about her arthritis. (*for example)

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
You’d have to be pretty careless to be someone of her stature, involved in possible criminal activities, using yahoo to communicate with people.

- It's not 'careless' to use Yahoo. A lot of Americans do. Gov. Palin is an American.

- There is no evidence that she's involved in 'possible criminal activities'.

Especially if she uses it to also discuss issues she faces as Governor.

It was all personal information such as pictures of her kids and her childrens cell phone numbers.

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Hackers especially with this M.O. perform a community service.

No, they commit a crime. But they may be performing community service in the future to pay for their crimes.

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
It was reported by the NY Times that Palin and her people were using personal email accounts for government business .

The NY Times is unreliable and is extremely biased.
And obviously wrong in this case.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

HAhaha! Nice try. Well, since here on ATS speech is free(no cost?) you can say what you want.

Hackers indeed are doing a favor for community - but you are correct. If they get caught, they will be in trouble too. But you are not right about Palin's being in hot waters for she is. Using personal mails for governmental affairs is at least dupious and reckless. I hope as many people as possible will regonize this and spread the word. I at least blogged it in my crappy blog, even tho I am not citizen of US (which should tell something about my objectivity about this matter).

Good luck with you Flyers Fan.

Sincerely,

-v

PS. I kinda hope that Sarah Palin is not so stupid that she really chose such e-mail address (gov.palin@...), and this is merely political mud throwing. It would be very sad if there would be such idiotic people in such high places of government.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
looks like they wernt all personal after all

source www....__._/wiki/Wikileaks_exposes_Palin%27s_private_e-mail_account

as well as what looks like proof that Palin was indeed using personal e-mail for state business.

Among the emails in Palin's account were several from (GOV) addresses belonging to her aides, including a draft letter to California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, a discussion of nominations to the state court of appeals, and several bearing "DPS", the acronym for the Alaska Department of Public Safety.

DPS, as it happens, supervises the Alaska state troopers

Wikileaks may release additional emails should they prove to be of political substance
could be more to come guess we wait and see

p.s. wikileaks appears to be back up ^_^

[edit on 18/9/08 by noobfun]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CreeWolf
Wow. Now its ok to hack into people's email to get dirt on them. Coverup? Yeah right. More like trying to prevent a leak of someone's privacy. This goes to show that if you are not on the side of the Left, they can do whatever they want to you.

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.......means nothing to you people?

Exactly. Thank you for this post, it soothed the irate out of my demeanor, and saved me a possible warn

For real, so many people are just so 'typical' with their attitude.. and I don't even care that much about US politics. I just smell rats where the scurry.. oO

Star for you, my friend!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Originally posted by noobfun
p.s. wikileaks appears to be back up ^_^

Not from here. Altho my friend was able to access it once, but I haven't. I guess it requires some luck to get through.

-v

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

im accessing it through www....__._/leak/tibet-protest-photos/index.html then just removiung everything after .org and reloading the page seems to work fine

this will get you to the front page just scroll down a bit to find the Palin info

[edit on 18/9/08 by noobfun]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone has consider that, in this time of epic financial turmoil fostered by broken government policies, if this story is just one more manufactured distraction?

Consider the timing -- in the midst of a new wave of news describing the worst financial crisis since the great depression.

Consider the amount of mainstream coverage ramping up regarding this issue, and the attention taken away from much more critical national problems.

Consider the longish list of other "issues/problems" this so-called "hack" suddenly addresses --
-- Palin's admitted email problems
-- Some media are already calling the hackers "left wing"
-- Raises computer crime issues to high prominence
-- Raises anonymous online pranksters to high prominence
-- Refocuses attention on Palin as it was waning
-- Provides opportunity for new discussion of the merits of online anonymity
-- Opens the door for countless other online law enforcement opportunities

Consider previous known efforts of FBI CoIntelPro and it becomes no small stretch of thinking to speculate that this simple "hack" came from such operations, and convenient "anonymous/4chan" patsies will see a harsh response -- and calls for a broader harsh response for all online activities that are anonymous.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join