It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burst blood vessel in eye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hi,i have recently had an ultrasound examination.
When i got home i had a thin red line in each eye.
Today i have it in my right eye only but it nearly covers half of my eye.
It looks horrible.
Does anybody know if this is caused by ultrasound and if so why?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Ultrasounds aren't normally known to cause burst vessels. it's normally caused by some "stress" to your eye such as coughing, sneezing, rubbing too hard, etc. It is also a documented "side effect" of high blood pressure.

People are also more susceptible when taking medications or supplements that thin the blood. High doses of ginger, St. John's wort, ginkgo biloba, or cayenne may also increase your risk.

Personally, I'd say you just have lovely timing, but I'm not a doctor. Not knowing where they did the ultrasound or the circumstances of it, you may want to call your doctor to see if they can shed light on it.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Thanks for your feedback,i will definately get in touch with my doctor on that as it seems rather weird as i normally have low blood pressure but it hasnt been checked in a few months.
It also could be something dietry,i will have to have a look at what i have eaten over the past couple of days,maybe too much coffee.
I dont take medication but one i am meant to take is to thicken my blood i think although i could be wrong, Transenamic acid.Not quite sure what it actually does although it is blood related.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
diabetes or high blood sugar can cause this in your eyes too.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
No offense, but if you had a busted blood vessel in your eye, I doubt that you'd be on the computer. Busted blood vessels in the eye make it very painful to look directly into a light source.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I don't know about the amount of difficulty one would have looking at the computer with a busted blood vessel in the eye, I get them if I throw up or drink too much, and still get on the computer, it doesn't bother my sight at all nor does it cause any pain, it just looks bad.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Then it's not a busted blood vessel. You just have "red eye."

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I get them all the time too as I have asthma and allergies. A few good coughs or a big succession of sneezes will do it for sure. And no it does not hurt in any way nor does it cause light sensitivity. The vessels in the eyes are very tiny and it's not uncommon for them to rupture under strain or sudden change in blood pressure.

Get it checked by your doc but I doubt it's anything serious. I frequently get a small one that seems around my iris (blood sugar out of whack) and though it looks a bit freaky it's not at all painful. Don't even notice them half the time unless I happen to see myself in a mirror

And no it's not red eye

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
And no it's not red eye

A busted blood vessel or vein in the eye hurts!!! You cannot look directly at a light source without it being painful if you have a busted vessel or vein in the eye. You can argue all you want, but facts are facts.
G'day, matey.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Subconjunctival hemorrhage (broken blood vessel in eye)

Source
Definition

You go into the bathroom, look in the mirror — and you're stunned to find the white part of your eye is bright red. It looks frightening and painful, and yet it doesn't hurt, and your vision is unaffected. In fact, if you hadn't looked in the mirror, you probably wouldn't even have suspected a problem. What you're seeing is likely a subconjunctival hemorrhage, sometimes called red eye.

A subconjunctival hemorrhage occurs when a tiny blood vessel breaks just underneath the clear surface of your eye (conjunctiva). The conjunctiva can't absorb the blood quickly, so you're left with the equivalent of a bruise, except the blood is trapped under this transparent surface instead of the skin. This may create a rather frightening picture, but a subconjunctival hemorrhage is usually a harmless condition that disappears within 10 to 14 days.

Subconjunctival hemorrhage often occurs without any injury to the eye, or it may be the result of a strong sneeze or cough causing a broken blood vessel. No specific treatment is needed for a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

If you have recurrent subconjunctival hemorrhages or other bleeding, talk to your doctor. Be sure to tell your doctor about any medications or supplements you take.

No argument just facts thank you.

Pink eye hurts. Conjunctivitis hurts. Broken blood vessels do not.

Edit to add source of FACT

[edit on 9/22/2008 by justgeneric]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
FIY:

Red eye:

Burst vessel:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies there.
I can say that it doesn`t hurt and it has faded away into just a couple of thin lines that are barely noticable now.
It did look like your second pic there of the burst vessel schrodingers dog and yes i have been sneezing.I have the allergic rhinitis and anything can irritate my nostrils/lungs.Repetative sneezing,sometimes as many as ten in a row.
Unfortunately i cannot get to see my trustworthy doc until the 29th but sneezing does sound like a probable cause.
Thank you all.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I am an RN and you are totally off the mark with your reply. blood vessels do pop in the eye occasionally and do not normally result in pain. If you have them frequently though be sure to have your blood pressue checked or look at everything you are taking weither over the counter or prescription as there might be a blood thinning agent present.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

It's definitely not "RED EYE"
I have one, and I just got it checked out.. it's definitely a burst blood vessel,
so just stop.
it's not just considered as 'red eye'
- for someone who claims themselves as speaker of truths, you tell a lot of lies.

top topics

join