It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival: Breaking the news, how?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm planning to buy 90 days of emergency food, a water purifier and a solar-powered charger for in my home to prepare for a global breakdown, total costs about 1500 euro. Only i'm the only one in my household that keeps tabs on the alternative news and the conpsiracies involved, so how do i start a discussion with the rest without getting the 'he lost it' look? I mean where i life i can safely say that the general population is as oblivious over the whole 'it could go so very wrong' possibility as they can get (the Netherlands) and my dad does know something here and there because sometimes we talk about it but i think he still thinks everything will be ok without any calamity in the foreseeable future. The same thing with the rest of the family and my friends.

How do i convince the friends and rest of the family to do the same, get a food supply, ways for clean water and maybe some means to get electricity without scaring the crap out of them or walking in the 'don't listen to him, he's crazy' trap that springs when you try to pull them out of the comfort-zone?

I life in a heavily densed population area (randstad in the Netherlands) and that is about the second heaviest populated area in the world so goin out in the wild and providing for myself is an impossibility in a few hundred kilometer radius, buffing it out for a month while everyone that is not prepared starves or goes away to greener pastures is my only vialble option without moving out of the country. And moving out of the country is not what i want to do. Let me life or die with the people i care for.

Anyway, ow to get them to stock up?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
First off,don't 'try too hard' as that usually gets people on their guard.
People generally don't like to be 'preached at'.

I'm not saying that's what you're doing,but that's the way resitant people will perceive your good intentions.

All you can do is prepare for yourself.If it generates interest then that's all well and good.
Be factual and collected in your approach to your concerns..If asked what you are preparing for..Tell them
Unemployement/cash flow/flood/loss of amenities..You are stocking just as a precaution..not..

"OMG I Gotta be ready because the world of the world is nigh"

You're doing the sensible thing at a time that feels right for you..you have to let people start when it's right for them too.
You are also in a minority.you're different to others..So be expected to feel that way too. don't let it put you off.

It's good to be different.

Me? I'm just a loon and proud of it.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Ah thanks, that's pretty much the way i was leaning at. Make it a 'just in case' thing leaving the case itself ambiguous and hope it sticks.

In the daily life people do know what my hobby is to some extend and i do talk about it in an as light a sense as possible so i'll just keep on doing that.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
No probs. I don't like to talk about anyone's personal situation,BUT..

'This guy' I know is really into being a step ahead in awareness/preparation and can't even get his own family into considering anything remotely healthy or active,never mind fit for a bad situation.

Hints,jokes,encouragement,direct confrontation,factual evidence...NOTHING works.

Let's just say,he resigned himself a year ago that he is living with 'intentional victims' of ANY disaster that should happen,natural/man-made,whatever,and that should anything happen,he'd be starting out alone.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Harman, one thing you have got going for you is the Ardennes is not too far away. This could be a good place for practising skills and outdoorsmanship.
Now I've got my catche and BOB sorted I'm fairly relaxed about it all.
It is what it is and at least if SITX does go down then I'll of done all I can do to prepare for it.
I suggest you do the same. But keep it low key.
At the place where I'm staying there is a considerable stash of supplies and I don't broadcast it either.
Suggest you do the same.
In hard times if you've become known as the local eccentric hoarder you may be the first who gets pounced on come mob rule.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
In hard times if you've become known as the local eccentric hoarder you may be the first who gets pounced on come mob rule.

Starred ..
..and the biggest reason riding it out at home is not an option for me.
Not a good area and the idea of having to handle a couple of hundred kids who think they're the baddest 'gangstas' on the planet..even though they're skinny 'pasty white kids who think they're black'(Charlie Harper
) there's just too many who are already sub-human intelligence and mentality.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harman
...so how do i start a discussion with the rest without getting the 'he lost it' look? ...

I have had this conversation many, many times. Up until about 6 months ago, I would always get the "he's lost it!" look. In the last 6 months, I haven't gotten that AT ALL. People instinctively know, they just don't want to know they know.

Tell them "Bad things are coming down the pike", then name examples from what they consider reputable news sources. For exampe, the Royal Bank Of Scotland predicting an economic meltdown in America in September or October. Then tell them to prepare, and give a quick list. Food, water (and water filter), guns, and ammo.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hi. I am in the same situation. My husband doesn't believe anything like a sit x will happen in our lifetime. For such an intelligent man it just amazes me. I am shaking my head as I type. About once a month or so I talk to him about it bluntly.

When we watch the news and right now with the stock market doing what it's doing I have an easier opening. I have talked to him about the economy collapsing, etc.

I told him today that this weekend I want to buy a gun. He looked at me oddly in that I have ALWAYS been against guns in the home. Our only child is now an adult and I just think it's time.

I also told him that this weekend I need to go to the store and I am going to buy about $300 worth of food to put back just in case.

The way I have resolved this situation is that I talk to him, but I silently prepare so that when things do go wrong, I will just look at him and say "Don't worry darlin, we are prepared." I am smiling as I type the next line, I wont say this but it will be hard to not say I told you so.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I gotta agree. don't bother to explain. Buy whatever soap and toilet paper and rice or whatever you believe is best and stockpile it out of their sight. Its a need to know game. They don't need to know you prepped until the neighborhood is burning and their is gunfire heard on all four sides.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Thanks for the great replies. I just got a phone-call from the website i visited to buy all the stuff, i put the things in my shoppingcart online but didn't buy it so he called me with the question if there was a malfunction, in the end he offered a 150 euro discount but i'll have to call him back on that one.

Maybe i will be able to get some more discount and i will ask him to send the goods on a thursday or friday so it will not be dumped at my neighbours house just to keep it low profile.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Good to see threads like this popping up on here. With the economic problems the world is facing, a Sit-x event may not be far off. Good to see people asking questions and trying to get their affairs in order.

As to talking with others about stocking up and planning ahead. Carrying a sandwich board stating the End is Near is always a good way. Lots of free vegtables that way.

I take the approach that most people cant and wont do anything at all until it is far too late for them. Harping on friends and family will further alienate them from the concept, the idea of stockpiling yourself and letting them ask the questions seems to work the best. Gives you a chance to discuss stockpiling for a possible event without coming off as a nut. Maybe.

On a different side, there are people out there who are allready close to getting prepared, but dont want to seem out of place in society. If you can find these people, which is difficult sometimes, its very easy to get them going. Sometimes just knowing they arent the only one out there is enough. When they start asking intelligent questions, then you know you have a friend is this matter.

Good luck convincing others to prepare themselves. For most its too much of a burden. Why spend time and money for something that may never happen when the mall and instant gratification is just down the street?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Harman

Unfortunately you really can't convince them. Stockpile what you can using realistic goals and try to get enough to help them.
Keep some of the more straightforward articles on the subject on file, possibly in a binder marked emergency considerations, and leave it in the bookcase where it might be noticed. That may slowly open up debate as others in the house will read it when you are not around. Be carefull to only include easilly referenced materials.
Do not preach, set an example by doing what you feel is right, be very discreet about issues others in your houseold will dissagree with.
Minor changes such as stocking prepared sealed foods and using them for quick or portable lunches as a part of normal daily life will encourage their
acceptance in the houseold.

Suggestion. We use 2 12v car batteries to power led lighting in the entire house as well as a night vision exterior camera and lcd screen, plus a radio and cell phone chargers. Lasts for weeks. The real beauty is that many generators will charge the batteries directly using far less fuel than trying to run your 110 or 220v appliances. We went through 13 days and 8 days without power after the hurricanes quite comfortably.
The night vision camera is a must for bad areas as you might need to blackout your windows untill you can move to a better location.
Pick one whose leds are NOT visible at night.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
nice topic! i have been wondering about this aswell for a while. i always pictured me just preaching about it then getting ignored but i really like the idea of keeping a binder labeled "Emergency Situations" around the house to start a discussion.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thanks to a documentary all the crises coming together at the same time (oil/credit/food) that said that it is coming our way it became a whole lot easier to 'break it to them' because the hypno-tube said it is possible

So my problem is solved but i tried to talk to a friend about it and he's not convinced ( tried to keep it lighthearted of course
). Maybe i'll just send him a link to the mainstream documentary 'Tegenlicht' ( in Dutch) that aired last night.

new topics

top topics

join