It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Anyone familiar with Linux willing to help me install it? I have installed before, but have had problems every time I install it. Maybe contact me via MSN/AIM or something so I can be walked through it? I can talk from my laptop because I want to install Linux on my desktop. U2U me if you are willing, or atleast can provide some insight. I have Slackware 9.1. Thanks

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
don't get slackware

if you're just beginning, try out knoppix live cd (based on debian).
you can boot up directly from the cd without installing anything.
if you like it, it has its own self-installer... this will automatically turn your pc into a debian system.

(previous version)
images.freshmeat.net...

mirrors: www.knopper.net...

slackware has its own live cd, but it doesn't have drivers for anything to work.

[Edited on 3-23-2004 by echelon]

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
What is your problem ? What kind of computer do you have ?

Dont use a slackware ! Installation is easier with REDHAT or CALDERA or MANDRAKE and even with DEBIAN...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Heh, I did fine installing. I got it to work now, just had to get xf86config right. I knew a general idea of how to install, my problem was getting startx to work which I worked out last night. Now, I need to get my USB mouse working properly and internet going. Other then that, no problems so far.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
if you have further problems, you should definitely check out www.justlinux.com one of the best forums with probably every single error known to Linux been worked out on their forums. If you get bored with Slack you should check out Gentoo, portage simply owns.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer
If you get bored with Slack you should check out Gentoo, portage simply owns.

yes, it does! And, so does Gentoo! My new fav distro

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by Bob88]

new topics

top topics

join