It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocks tumble after government bailout of AIG

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

This is a once in a lifetime event not even close to the savings and loan crisis of the 80s but much closer to the great depression. They mananged to stave this off the last eight years with the housing bubble, which caused consumption to increase greatly through home equity lines of credit ie money nobody really had. If you have an idea for another bubble I suggest you send it to the elite and the fed, as they have seemingly run out of their own.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pompano

I don't think it is once in a lifetime at all. We have no way to measure this because the market has never been this big before. Humans make mistakes. You suck it up and do what it takes to come back. I don't care for the man but how many times did Donald Trump go bankrupt?
I think there will be many more to come. We survived the great depression, I suspect we will make it through this too. Times get tough sometimes. Either you are a survivor, or your not.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Just to add:

Dow has plunged to a new low today, -450 points. Last hour everything just dropped without stop. End point is 10,609.66. Well, certainly paints a clear picture.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Just thought I would add this information, yesterday on the Alex Jones Show he had Joseph Stiglitz on his show and he was saying this could go on for a year or more like this, my question is will it take a year for things to get the worst or is it coming sooner and we are going to be in this for that long I don't know. And to the college student, (I am one to but online) are you in city? If so try to get out of there before the crazy uninformed panicked crowed starts to come out. If you can’t try to get stocked up on as much canned goods as you can and try to get some protection like a gun if you can. The way things are looking better safe then sorry.

A link you can go to, to see who Joseph Stiglitz is:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
They should have let AIG tank... In my opinion it is a big mistake to bail out these huge companies, as it does nothing to curb the fear in the market and the end result is correction. This will only devalue the dollar more than it already is and push inflation thru the roof. Really sucks..

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I have been watching the news and every now and then an analyst tells the truth. I saw Cramer last week say he doesn't know where the bottom is. Yesterday Mark (i can't remember his last name) from CNBC said there is no indication of a bottom. Interesting ........

I was reading an article today on MSNBC that said that many analysts say the economy is sound but I tend to think they are saying it is sound because they don't want to panic the public.
The economy is a disaster and many don't want to admit we are teetering on a depression. I do believe in the end we will not go into a depression because the government will bail out or broker deals to save each failing institution.

In the end we in the middle class will pay as we have done.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well, with all the houses that are owned by the Fed now (literally whole towns I'd guess) they can surely give people a free home if they just enlist. I see a war machine ramping up quite well from this position.

But then, the largest holder of Fannie and Freddie securities is China, so those soldiers may be neighbors to any neighborhood the Chinese decide to possess in lieu of their bond payments, lol.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Isn't funny how wrong the media is?

Govt. bailout?

the FED is a secret independant bank, it has nothing to do with the govt.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Many years ago,very few people had any money, and so the majority was poor. Then the opportunity for credit to the masses became available,which made the average joe a chance to get on in life, because his dreams were possible. His part was to work hard and long, and that, s how the peoples worth grew.
The problem became serious when most extended credit way above their means of repaying, (unaware of what dire situation was ahead) similar to the wall st. crash.
what happens if you owe on a car? the car gets sold ,you lose your car, plus you are in debt,finance company sells on car ,but don,t lose much cash because most of the debt is finance ,interest.
Houses,same situation but far worse who can buy your house that the bank reclaims,not many people who have the cash will use their own cash,the banks make money by lending depositors cash to others,wrong decisions on the banks part could make the situation worse.
Supposing you lose your house ,the bank resells, you rent it, then you lose your job (this follows recession)your landlord cannot pay the bank.
The government can print money and not tell the (full) truth, at the end of the day you, your family come first, when ever there are problems always go back to basics, food and water is far more valuable than property,cars,boats. mike

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well see, here we go again. People can never predict exactly what is going to happen with the economy. Now it might fall again next week but just goes to show you can't keep expecting the worst all the time.

World Market Soars

Stocks soar as officials confirm gov't rescue plan

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join