It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily Show & Colbert Report - Sept., 16, 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hi Everyone,
I was watching the Daily Show and The Colbert Report respectively last night. I didn't know where to post this, other than current events but here it goes:

During one of the Daily Show's skits the topic was the economic meltdown in Wall Street. what was odd (and I know it's comedy) the skit ended with a clip from the movie "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind), something about aliens are the only ones that can save us during this rocky economy.

Half hour later, on The Colbert Report Stephen Colbert gets financial advice from Gorlock (obviously a reference to Scientology)

Strange how 2 political shows (albeit in Comedy Central) had back to back references to "Extraterrestrials" and our economy. Anyone finds this strange?

Please, only post replies with your views. No flaming or rants. I'm just trying to find out if anyone had any opinions or am I reading to much into it?

I can't post the links here because my computer does not allow me to but you can find last night's shows on comedycentral.com

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are very close friends
They tend to work off each others shows often just because it has aliens
doesnt make it a conspiracy or even odd

Thats comparable to saying Carebears are obvious references to gay pride because one of them has a rainbow.

Just my two cents
I know its fun to stare ten feet deep but sometimes your staring at a puddle and you should go find the lake

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
All i could think of is that most of the best people in the financial markets, would have a spiritual side to them to put that lightly. They are probably joking about that.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. How 'Gorlock' said "We're putting you into an economic crisis before our species can come take over" or something to that effect. I wasn't the only one who found it kinda odd.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Same, it's like people say how they hide it in plain sight or whatever but that's what I was thinking when I saw it. Both of them making the same referance on the same night, back to back. Just odd but only time will tell.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by newguyhere2

Strange how 2 political shows (albeit in Comedy Central) had back to back references to "Extraterrestrials" and our economy. Anyone finds this strange?

Colbert started on the Daily Show. Him and Stewart work closely together, sometimes intertwining both shows. They've done it many times before, I particularly don't find it strange.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis

Originally posted by newguyhere2

Colbert started on the Daily Show. Him and Stewart work closely together, sometimes intertwining both shows. They've done it many times before, I particularly don't find it strange.

I understand the history of both shows. Colbert and Stewart are very close friends, and even if they share writers, which i think they don't, the oddness here is the reference to "extraterrestrials" as saviors of our economy. I mean, this came out of waaay left field. Even if "extraterrestrials" are used as comic relief in these uncertain times, doesn't that say something about our attitude in the mass media towards "them".

As you all know, sometimes these shows are much truthier than the real news.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This would make more sense to me.

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events which are causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner.
The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by their meaning.
In order to be synchronistic, the events must be related to one another temporally so as to rule out direct causation.

visit the link below for full definition.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join