It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many products contain the chemical BPA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Many products contain the chemical BPA

www.foxnews.com

Bisphenol A, or BPA, a chemical used in consumer goods, was the subject of a federal safety hearing Tuesday where new preliminary research suggested it might be linked to a higher risk of heart disease and diabetes.

BPA is used in lightweight, durable plastics. Products include some baby bottles, sippy cups and reusable food and drink containers, such as reusable sports water bottles and Tupperware, compact discs, DVDs, eyeglass lenses and sports safety goggles and helmets.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.niehs.nih.gov

en.wikipedia.org

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 9/17/2008 by JacKatMtn]

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Alter-Ego]

Do Not Edit Mod-Edits

[edit on 9/17/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
There is some good news:

Most recyclable, single-use plastic bottles, such as those made for soft drinks and bottled water, don't contain BPA.

Some manufacturers are phasing out BPA in some products and Tupperware's Web site says it does not use BPA in children's products sold in the United States and Canada.

But there is more bad news...

BPA is also in epoxy resins used to make paints, adhesives and canned food liners.

So, basically BPA is used in a HUGE varaiety of products and its almost in escapeable..but there are a few things that can be done..

Government toxicology scientists say that to reduce exposure, people can avoid non-recyclable plastic containers that have the number 7 on the bottom; avoid using these plastics in the microwave, and don't wash them in the dishwasher with harsh detergents.

___

Hopefully its not too late to fix this problem...but it doesnt look good.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title - same as source]

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is very interesting. It always amazes me how these substances are allowed to be used in products in the first place. Why isn't this type of rigorous safety testing done before manufacturers are allowed to use the substance? Especially when the products it's used in included certain types of beverage containers.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I totally agree, what caught my attention is its use in baby bottles and sippy cups! MY GOD..its bad enough we're killing off Gen X and above with the use of "untested?" or at least "unverified" chemicals...but we are also poisoning our children, the legacy or inheritors of this planet.

What are THEY doing to us, in the name of profits, low cost production and lighter weight materials? While all those things can be a good "business solution", for cutting costs they have overlooked the long term effects on the human race.

Make no mistakes about this people theis is a world wide problem. Plastics and epoxies derived from BPA are in use GLOBALLY. Can you say "de-population"?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
These news reports just hint at the magnitude of the problem. For a more in-depth and evidence-based understanding, see the research directed by Theo Colborn, PhD, Senior Scientist at the World Wildlife Fund. Here is a link to the Amazon listing of her 1997 book on the effects of plastics on our biosphere. Our Stolen Future is the book title:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221660914&sr=1-1

Amazon's "search inside the book" option is active for this book, so if you use the Windows Explorer internet browser, you can scan through some of the book contents online.

A great many public libraries carry a copy of this book if you want to read the book for free before deciding whether to buy it.

There is also a companion website set up by the World Wildlife Fund with more current information on further scientific discoveries since the book was published, as well as tracking what has been done by U.S. government sources, plus updated reports from news outlets:

www.ourstolenfuture.org...

While you are on the site, be aware that several important topics are collected under button options. For example, "Broad Trends" reviews scientific trends since the book was first published, and "Recent Important Studies" highlights important new research results.

Bottom line: While BPA risks are currently in the headlines, a longer list of other issues associated with the persistence of plastics in our biosphere has been well documented in the scientific literature.

What to do? First, read the above materials and follow up on particular topics of interest to you; stay informed on those. Second, take whatever steps you can to limit your future exposure to plastics. Since I first read that book, for example, I began reducing the use of any plastics at my home. Easier said than done! For example, here are some websites I used to acquire a lunchbox and food containers that do not use plastic:

www.pearlriver.com...

www.ebags.com...

Note: On the 2nd link above (eBags), remember to scroll down the page 1/2 screen or so to see the product dimensions. This product has a metallic lining.

Be aware that some metallic-covered soft-sided lunch bags have a plastic lining. (Sigh) So ask before you buy.

The above link shows an illustration of a "dinner pail" used through the mid-20th century in North America. Be aware that the term dinner originally referred to the midday meal.

On the issue of non-plastic can liners (for canned food), currently Eden Foods is the only food manufacturer who uses natural non-plastic materials as a can liner. The following link describes the can lining used for Eden Foods products:

www.edenfoods.com...

[edit on 9/17/2008 by Uphill]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

Execellent information there uphill, and very scary.

It goes deep and encompases much more that I originally thought, thanks for the fantastic contribution.

top topics

join