It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you male or female? Can you tell just by reading one's post?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hi, not sure if this topic has ever been raised, did a search but apparently no.

I've been around here for a while, long time reader first time poster. I've been wondering lately whether the majority of ATS/BTS users are male of female.

I'm not raising an issue of gender discrimination here but when I read through the threads and try to figure out what sex the poster is, most of the time I think the post I read are written by a man, like 70-80% of the time.

I've heard that you can tell whether a writer is male of female by the style of their writing and use of certain words.

I went to the statistics page but there wasn't anything about gender.

So that's my curiosity, are most ATS/BTS users male or female?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK! found it found it. It's the Gender Genie I was talking about, paste a paragraph in and it tells you the probability of the author being male or female by using certain keywords. Give it a try.

The Gender Genie

Inspired by an article and a test in The New York Times Magazine, the Gender Genie uses a simplified version of an algorithm developed by Moshe Koppel, Bar-Ilan University in Israel, and Shlomo Argamon, Illinois Institute of Technology, to predict the gender of an author. Read more at BookBlog, The New York Times, and The Guardian.

Simply type or paste your text in the box below. Choose a genre and click submit for the results.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Gender Genie

I tried entering the above paragraph...It says I'm male, interesting.

[edit on 17/9/2008 by mandrake]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mandrake

Im female, as my avatar might suggest!..... what ive noticed is that i automatically make an assumption whether a member is male or female just by there avatar, yet alot of guys on here have avatars with females on them, so its actually quite a shock when finding out they are not the sex you assumed!.... would be interesting to know whether ats has more males or females, my guess is males, based only on the fact that i havent met many other female conspiracy theorists other than on ats....

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Very interesting thread OP. I always find it difficult to tell and I usually assmue the sex of the poster by their avatar also.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Still 79% males as of April 2007...I wonder when the females will take over!
We're due for a new survey to see!

...it is our plan!

[edit on 9/17/2008 by Givenmay]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm obviously a guy right? You can tell?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Yossarian

I've always thought you were a girl, atleast when you had the Pink avatar, and the heart mood!

...now I am confused lol!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Interesting, my choice of avatar and my choice of mood symbol can represent my gender to others. I won't disclose my sex just yet, this thread is very interesting.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the link Givenmay

Didn't see that one, sorry.

And you're definitely a guy Yossarian. Your avatar's manly enough

Avatars are another thing that I use to guess gender, forgot to mention that.

Oh! and I'm male, did anyone figure that out

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mandrake

Your avatar doesn't appear for me Mandrake but your name makes me think of a duck (must be because Mandarin duck/drake, weird I know) so I assumed female. Got you wrong there buddy.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Yossarian

A duck!?

That's a new twist for me today, thanks

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Uhhhh......what about those who can't distinguish between male or female?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian

Interesting, my choice of avatar and my choice of mood symbol can represent my gender to others. I won't disclose my sex just yet, this thread is very interesting.

*waiting*
Actually, when I first had a look at your avatar I assumed you were a lezbian!

...not that I have anything against them...hope I'm not offending you, just first thought is all!

Drake I think you are male, it's the name!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Funny song, a bit disturbing though, yet funny.

This issue has also been on my mind. Do girly men have the same writing style as women and do manly girls have the same writing style as men.

I didn't use the word gay or lesbian so I hope this doesn't turn out to be another gay-bashing discussion, totally not my intention.

Oh yeah, and I've finally found the thing I was talking about. The Gender Genie.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

The "Girl Peepz" starting to take over ATS? Nooooooooo, this just has to be a rumor!

Actually, I gave up trying to figure out a persons sex by their Avatar. If I follow their post I can tell because they will say comment that make it obvious of the gender.

The reason I stopped guessing based on Avatar was because I sent whatukno a U2U asking if that was really your picture, because I think you have very pretty eyes.

He replied with a very respectful laugh and said sorry to disappoint you, yes I'm a guy.

I joked back at him telling him it's a good thing, because I was about to fall in love with her based on her red hair and great eyes.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think it's pretty obvious what gender I am. Any guesses?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Givenmay
...I wonder when the females will take over!

Soon, luv, very soon! Might be hard though on the ATS side. Men are generally more paranoid and conspiracy centered than women, so we may have our work cut out for us there. But BTS, I think the women pretty much rule there now. muahahahahaha

And yes, it would be nice to get the demographics updated.

Doc and Spencer thought I was a guy from Australia.
lmao How? With that avatar? I will never know. Must be my love of koala bears.

I do tend to make an immediate assumption by someone's avatar, and I'll go the their profile and check out some of their posts as well, but even after all of that there are some that I still can't figure out.

Rush

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Mandrake: I believe I know which sex you are. It has to do with your SN, very interesting that you would create this thread. I think perhaps another thought you were something other than what you are because of your SN.

I know what mandrake is, and some of it's uses. Also, I noticed a post of yours. I also wonder if your ambiguity is on purpose. I have noticed avatar which has Stonehenge in it, which of course is was made by the Groove Ware People and later adopted by the druids.

It is also a Wiccan icon, which is a Goddess worship movement. I will say no more.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I am a male that is very much in touch with his anima. Hehe

I believe that most people whom visit this site are indeed male. I also believe your theory to be correct in saying that there is a more masculine way to writing as there is the opposite.

I believe men are better online in general, than women. A writing style of a man is generally laced with more facts and straight forwardness oppossed to a womans more emotional responses.

Its hard to debate emotion opposed to fact. Women when conveying emotion cannot be rebuttled with a fact that thier emotion is wrong. Where men can have a more forward debate because facts, quotes, and sources can be cited as ammunition to debate a fact at hand.

Women also choose to communicate thier feelings through body expressions and verbal talking, which means that the internet is really no place for a to communicate how she feels.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perfectenemy05
...to a womans more emotional responses.

...where's my tissues...I'm quite sure
that I don't know what...sniffle...you mean by that?

(I'm ok) Rush

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What about me? Am I a girl or a guy?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join