It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Advertisements Attacking Party Leaders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The past two or three weeks has shown a trend that I do not think I can continue to handle until the upcoming election. These Canadian advertisements that are attacking our party leaders are pushing me over the edge and I'm too the point where I've been simply turning the television off. I can not continue to watch these attempts to recruit the bottom feeders that buy into these petty scare tactics.

I'll show you a few of the advertisements that I refer to.

...you always pay more with Dion!

Now other than the tiny text at the end of the video that you need a microscope to read, there is no claim to the advertisement at the end like we see with American commercials. None of that, "I'm (whomever) and I approve this message" or "This has been paid for by (whomever)". Just this blatant attack on a party leader with these absolutes and scare tactics.

I'm not a Dion fan coming to his rescue here. I am a Canadian and I really have not considered who I would support in this upcoming federal election. But what I am sick of is these advertisements. They are on countless networks and are being displayed at least five times an hour during prime time television. What is this costing? Who is paying for it?

Is it a stretch of the imagination to think that tax payers are possibly funding these cheap attacks on the opposition?

Let's have a look at a Harper advertisement that typically goes hand in hand with these Dion attacks.

...we're better off with Harper!

We're better off with Harper? That's the slogan to inspire voters? Better off? I'm sorry Steve but I'm hoping for a little more than just "better off".

Aghh!

American politics is frustrating enough let alone having to endure this.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
The past two or three weeks has shown a trend...Canadian advertisements that are attacking our party leaders

I agree completely, and it is just another page from Steve's GOP playbook. Bush Lite, indeed! It makes me crazy to see these Tory attack ads play to the basest frames of mind...sucessfully!? They appeal to the same folks who think the world looks like the Toronto Sun says it does.

"We're better off with Harper"...what kind of inspirational slogan is that" "He does't suck as much"?

An American on ATS recent voiced the sentiment that he wished they had a government they could be proud of. I say the same of Canada.

Arggh!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
"We're better off with Harper"...what kind of inspirational slogan is that" "He does't suck as much"?

Can we argue that it is the one bit of honesty that we're seeing from this party? "Hey, we're not great.. but we're better than that guy!" ...maybe?

I was caught off guard the other night when I had noticed a television advertisement against Harper. But it was approved by the NDP party and Layton had a little speech at the end of it. I haven't come across any advertisement attempts to speak against the opposition on behalf of the Liberal party and Dion. Has anyone else?

I know currently I respect the fact that they haven't, unless I'm proven wrong and they have actually funded the same tactics. But these maneuvers are truly diluting the character of the people that are on the aggressive.

Canadian politics isn't about being the best person for the job. It's about being a little better than your opponent. It's that old joke that you don't need to outrun the lion, just anyone who is running with you. Our federal government has diminished to a group of men who just want to be a little bit better than each other and spend their days attacking one another rather than talking to the informed Canadian public and telling us why we should vote for them.

But like anything else, they aren't going to speak to the minority. And in any election, the informed are the vast minority.

How's that for optimism?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler But like anything else, they aren't going to speak to the minority. And in any election, the informed are the vast minority.

How's that for optimism?

Well, you know what they say..."He who laughs has not yet heard the news..."

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

But like anything else, they aren't going to speak to the minority. And in any election, the informed are the vast minority.

You said it.

chissler, I think you're giving the public too much credit if you think they actually want to hear a well-reasoned list of why we should vote for a particular candidate. They just don't want it. If they did, a very small fraction of people currently holding office would still be there. People want to be lied to. They beg for it with their votes. As an example, I hold up Toronto mayor David Miller. He's not only a terrible mayor, he's a sorry excuse for a human. Yet he gets elected and re-elected.

Politics in general is not about the best man for the job and I don't think it ever has been.

As for some Liberal ads, here you go:

Harpernomics
Please click ad #1 if it doesn't start automatically.

This other Liberal ad is just plain dumb. These guys should fire their ad agency.

clapping
Please click ad #3 if it doesn't start automatically.

It's the same tactic the Conservatives have, but very poorly executed.

new topics

top topics

join