It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poisonous plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I can't say I know anything about this board, it's one I've always skirted around meaning to settle down one evening and peruse it for a few hours. I came across an article today that reminded me to check this place out. Here's the article:

Cute Killers: 16 Unassuming-but-Lethal Poison Plants
Written by Sara on September 16th, 2008 - Topics: Animals and Habitats, Food and Health, Home and Garden, Nature and Ecosystems.

Most plants contain some level of toxins (like alkaloids) for defense. After all, they’re plants. They can’t go anywhere. Through millennia of trial and error, both animals and human beings have figured out which plants are safe, which are lethal, and which are somewhere in between. For example, did you know that many grain-bearing plants contain a toxin known as lectins? And that the African staple, cassava, must be thoroughly boiled and soaked to separate it from its poisonous compound, cyanide? Even the humble lima bean has been bred to contain less cyanide.

Rest of article:
webecoist.com... -plants/

I was surprised to learn about the Rhododendron. I think a lot of people who have these plants in their garden have no idea of their toxic properties. If it came to the point where you needed to eat flora from your own yard it would be very dangerous considering the amount of poisonous plants on your land.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I guess a complete list of toxic plants by country would be too much work?

I know I´m not up for it.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
That would be brilliant. If I had the time to do I'd definitely have a go. In the meantime I'll look for a link.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Great post OP... I hardly ever look around in this section but this one caught my eye.

Heres a great site with a list of contact poisonous plants...

Here...

I'll look for a more complete list for you here in a bit

Peace

Justice

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Here's the wiki link to a list of the above.
en.wikipedia.org...

Also a good link from the US Army Centre here:
chppm-www.apgea.army.mil...

Please feel free to add any more articles/lists or stories of interest.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I was watching the movie into the wild and the guy dies from a poisonous plant.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by meadowfairy

First to the OP, you are correct, there are poisonous plants everywhere. People should really watch what they eat if they have never seen it before. Each state I have lived in there have been piles of books about the local edible plants, I strongly suggest buying one and checking before eating your lawn.

As to meadowfairy. There are alot of reports and ideas about how and why McCandless died. One is the poisoned plant idea, however, there are stronger theories out there than that one.

top topics

join