It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a truther?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I have been on this site a while now and have heard alot of name calling.
I was under the impression that most of us were in search of truth i.e."deny ignorance". It seems to me ignorance and truth cannot go hand in hand.
I understand what it means to call someone a debunker. "someone who debunks or is debunking."
But, what in the world is a truther? Can anyone honestly answer this? Is it someone who tells the truth? Someone who is searching for the truth? Someone who has a passing intrest in the truth.
Someone who wants the truth? Someone who IS the truth? Someone who has seen the truth? Someone who has heard the truth? Someone who believes the truth? Someone who doesn't believe the truth?

Anyone want to take a crack at this? Why is this phrase used in conjunction with those who have questions about or does not believe what their gov't is telling them about 911?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
A "Truther" is one who promotes untruth as truth. "Truthers" are used to convince others of a non-existent reality in order to control them. Al Gore is a "Truther." The "Global Warming" hoax is being used to maniuplate you.

"If I can control your thinking, I can control your behavior.
If I can control your behavior, I can control your thinking."

Human beings are incredibly easy to manipulate. Reality exists only in their own minds according to their perceptions. Control their perceptions, change their mind, change their reality.

Christians already believe in an invisible reality, which makes it difficult to change their earthly realities. They represent an obstacle to the New World Order. Hence the war against Christianity.
Muslims are easily manipulated in that their realities are whatever their Imams tell them. Imams are "Truthers." Islam is therefore the chosen religion of the New World Order.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
What is it? It's a really stupid name

But you kinda already nailed it. A "truther" is basically someone who believed 9-11 was an inside job.

I am a truther. Oh god did I just say that. I feel dirty, like I just abused the word 'truth'. Such a bad title.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
someone who has looked at all the evidence and come to the conclusion that the official story is full of holes at best

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
So if I don't believe my gov't then I am a truther? If I start believing my gov't will I cease to be a truther?
Can I be a truther and a patriot at the same time?
So many rules, I just want to know them all so I can play the game.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbass

For me, this is the whole reason to seek some sense of personal truth in the first place. The rules seem to change depending on which side of the board you're playing from. If the rules change, the rules aren't true.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
A truther is a misguided fool or a clever misanthropist, only having a fraction of any pertinent information. He considers what he does not know as lies and corruption. He injects untruths into what is known in order to create a plausible story in hopes of spreading an agenda and getting people to follow his ideas.

Many people do it for publicity, money, or books.

Most people on ATS do it because they don't know any better.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Actually I think it's a very good question. Truth is a good thing. To be sought out within your own needs for truth, and the scope you are looking for. Beware of some truthers however who base their facts on their own opinions. They tend to slowly taint honest truth, much like the telephone game that we played as kids. Never ending up with the same message at the end that we started with in the beginning.

Indeed, in many mediums, the truther movement has become nothing less than a popularity game of who can get the most "news" out with the most popular quip.

Stick with your heart and common sense, find good sources, don't get caught up in the truther movement to where you trust just anything you see. Challenge everything with common sense. And best, take action against what you see as a problem. I see more "truth" than action in the movement. And action is where it is at.

9/11 is a good example. Many stating that it was an inside job. We have seen the evidence that shows that it probably is an inside job. My point being that the first responders are in trouble financially because of no funding from the government, yet people are not reacting to that. A plausible action that is being ignored because truthers would rather spread "truth" that may only be theory or half truth.

Help yourself and others in need. Concentrate on the issues you can fix. Look into the American Drug War. Say No to the BailOut. Talk to people about the Republicrats and the option of the Third Party. Those are truths in change that can be acted upon.

Truthers, I commend what you think your doing, but in staying in your clique, are you really doing anything? Indeed, the cussing, namecalling, and such are just an example of how people want them to think like them. That is not truth at all. Truth is understanding individuality. Wiping out prejudice in thought and working together for change we need.

The movement is a distraction from action at best. IMO.

Stop being good truthers, start being good "changers".

Peace

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I would say a "truther" is someone still actively seeking the truth.

Where as a debunker believes that the truth has already been found.

From what i can confirm, the label was born out of the 911 truth movement...
and is currently used to define those who champion this cause.

Maybe in time, when the truth is finally established among the masses...
"truther" will be used to define others of similar pursuits in other subject matters.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by cbass
So if I don't believe my gov't then I am a truther? If I start believing my gov't will I cease to be a truther?
Can I be a truther and a patriot at the same time?

Contrary to what some would tell you, disagreeing with your government is not unpatriotic. Seeking more information when you're unconvinced is not unpatriotic. Asking questions if it appears things do not add up from what you have seen of the information provided by the government on a given subject is not unpatriotic.

Now, for the record, I'm not saying anyone on either side of any argument that devolves into "truther vs. debunker" is a liar. It is the responsibility of each sentient being to seek out information on whatever topic holds their interest. It is also the responsibility of said sentient beings to take all information into account, not just the information that fits their own personal theories. Check your sources and double check them. Then check the references made in those sources and double check them. If something doesn't add up somewhere along the way, look for more information until it really does all fit together. You cannot pick and choose arbitrarily.

Whether you're arguing about 9/11, or ancient civilizations, or whatever other topic you're looking at, always look for more information. If someone has an alternative theory and has any kind of information that can back up their ideas/claims, look at them with an open mind and do not discount the possibility that the new information may conflict with, and sometimes alter, what you've accepted to that point. You don't have to always agree, but take the time to digest the possibilities with an open mind, rather than immediately saying someone else's view is foolish or wrong because it conflicts with what you have always thought or believed or were taught.

That is the only way that actual truth can be found. Anything else truly is ignorance, and that's what we're supposed to be against here.

Deny Ignorance

top topics

join