It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

solid picture of a rod

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
First and foremost, I apologize, this is not my content but I feel like more should see and hear about this story... I'm just combing through the MUFON database and felt this was compelling enough to show the community. I wish people that post their sightings on MUFON would post them on here!

I'm just passing information

Here is the picture.
www.mufoncms.com...

Here is what the poster wrote.

"I saw, for the first time, a show on "rods" on the History Channel tonight; I had never even heard of them before tonight.

But upon seeing this show, I am very intrigued and realized that I had my own picture of one -- something I had never given much thought. But in the show, one of the most compelling arguments for their existence was the video filmed in a cave where there are rods, insects and birds all in the same shot.

Well, I have a photograph of a hummingbird eating at a feeder with a "rod" shooting across the image, taken from the deck of my grandparents' house... The hummingbird is nearly crystal clear, and the rod is... well, a rod. I did not think anything of it at first; I had not heard of "rods" before, and it just looked like something was coming out of the hummingbird.

I do not vividly recall seeing the rod with my bare eyes, but I cannot say that I didn't with certainty, as it was nearly two years ago now.

Please get back to me as to whether or not this can help and also what you think. The image can be found on my web site, here: techssupport.org...

The image was taken with a Canon PowerShot SD500 with a shutter speed of 1/20 sec.

Again, I hope this can be of help."

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by weknowyouknow

. The hummingbird is nearly crystal clear, and the rod is... well, a rod.

The image was taken with a Canon PowerShot SD500 with a shutter speed of 1/20 sec.

the humming bird is NOTHING LIKE ` crystal clear `

and 1/20th shutter speed is the reason why - you simply cannot capture action unless you use a ultra fast exposure

the " rod " is well ................ an insect

yet again

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Never seen any insect like that before... interesting. There appears to be segments and smoky plumes emanating from it. Did they say on history channel exactly what these were?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Never seen any insect like that before... interesting. There appears to be segments and smoky plumes emanating from it. Did they say on history channel exactly what these were?

they are the blurred wings of an insect flapping

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Wasn't there a reference to the humming bird in the segment on Rods on the history channel? Can't remember what it was now.. hmm

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   

they are the blurred wings of an insect flapping

Indeed they are, and here's proof!

See how the insects were transformed into "rods" when I used a slower shutter speed?

[edit on 17-9-2008 by JH80]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
As to your question about the History Channel show. They put two cameras side by side, one standard video camera and one high speed camera with high frame rates & shutter speeds. They found many different critters make up what were mislabeled as rods.

As the regular camera came up with the blurs incorrectly called Rods - insects captured multiple times in the same picture frame - the high speed one showed the same objects with the same timing but you could see they were known insects, birds or bats that were too fast for the regular camera to capture often.

I wish this subject would go away, but I guess it won't as long as the rods nutcases refuse to believe the truth and continue posting pictures and keeping their websites running. RODS are mostly insects.

BTW-I wasn't referring to you as a nutcase (yet) , cause I believe you were just misled like many of us were before we saw the truth. It's your choice - to join the truthers or the nutcases.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_

No, they did not say what they were. What did was show footage of rods exactly like these, and then the High speed footage revealing them to be insects. How do people still believe in rods, does noone understand how capturing images works?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I see a small problem with debunking this photo, i am no expert, but if it is an insect, wouldn't the amazingly fast hummingbird have a very similar amount of blurring?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

look @ the birds wings - they are NOTHING but a blur - the humming bird has INCREDIBLE abilities of stationkeeping - ie its body hardly moves . this allows it to feed from a single flower

the insect however is in forward motion - and far nearer the camera - thats why it occupies such a large arc

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
I see a small problem with debunking this photo, i am no expert, but if it is an insect, wouldn't the amazingly fast hummingbird have a very similar amount of blurring?

It does if you look at the wings of the hummingbird, they are almost invisible

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
ah ok, i just thought that the humming bird wouldn't stay still long enough to get this effect. I understand. In that case it a bug i will overlay a still of a bug at the end of the trail to compare.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Click for fullsize. Its a bug for sure

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Rods have been proven to be nothing more than a hoax on many occasions
Thats not a solid rod as it is merely a fly

Now thats a solid rod

rod is an insect caught in the act of flying by a video camera. Some hoaxers or very imaginative people have been maintaining that rods are actually some sort of unknown life form of alien origin. But, according to Doug Yanega of the Entomology Department at the University of California at Riverside and a member of the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board, rods are

a videographic artifact based on the frame capture rate of the videocam versus the wingbeat frequency of the insects. Essentially what you see is several wingbeat cycles of the insect on each frame of the video, creating the illusion of a “rod” with bulges along its length. The blurred body of the insect as it moves forward forms the “rod,” and the oscillation of the wings up and down form the bulges. Anyone with a video camera can duplicate the effect, if you shoot enough footage of flying insects from the right distance.*

Rods seem to be a favorite topic of UFO and cryptozoology buffs. One of the more outspoken defenders of rods as aliens is Jose Escamilla, host of the RoswellRods.com web site. Jose has even brought his story and films to The Learning Channel. Some hilarious photographs of “rods” have been posted on the Internet at the Escamilla site. My favorite is “the swallow chases a rod” which looks just like a bird going after an insect. “

www.museumofhoaxes.com...

[edit on 9/17/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Yes Altered_states ... but is that a solid 'fly-rod'

just messin' ... but I agree, they is bugs in flight on a slow shutter speed.

new topics

top topics

join