It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to thread tagging?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I no longer see it at the bottom of threads? Were people abusing this, or they simply don't want to have it anymore?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I don't know, I asked about this in the ATS Issues thread.

I wonder about it too. Thread Tagging was one of the fun parts of ATS.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Weird... when did that happen?

If they aren't going to use them, I am going to stop wasting my time on them.
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Unfortunately, the tags were an amazingly under-utilized aspect of ATS. While many members did a great job of adding solid tags to many threads, the sad fact is that the effort has not resulted in helping new users find threads, or existing users search for threads.

Displaying the tags at the bottom of each thread was another "high cost" process from a database perspective. While the entire system still works, I've removed the query-and-display of the tags from threads for a few days to compare overall performance.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
You know honestly I would always forget the tagging function was at the bottom of the layout SO.

Maybe if we were prompted to 'tag' the thread during the 'reply'. Maybe display it above the textarea I am writing in right now? Just a thought. Perhaps that would increase its use enough to justify its weight on the DB.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Maybe if we were prompted to 'tag' the thread during the 'reply'.

Well, new thread authors could create tags at the time they authored their thread.

In any event, the real crux of the thread tagging code was to provide an alternative means to search ATS content and find what you're looking for. As it turns out, no one was using the tags for that... so it seemed counterproductive to ask our members to create content tags if they never get used.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I completely understand what your saying SO,
it is a shame that the thread tagging system wasnt being used as much as it should. If something is just not working, not producing results and creating a strain on the server. Well it's got to go. I will miss it though, it was fun in BTS as it became more of the urban definition of the word tagging.

new topics

top topics

join