It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What series SF books are your favorites?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
My hands-down favorite is the Gateway series, written by the one and only Frederick Pohl. The complete list of his writings is here on his website:

www.frederikpohl.com...

It's very hard to believe that Gateway was written in 1977 (!) because it contains the most accurate descriptions of online avatars, even counting the current day, that I have ever seen. In-credible.

Another remarkable achievement: Gateway and its successor novel both contain amazingly prescient descriptions of global terrorism. How about that?

Runner-ups would have to include the Giants series by James P. Hogan, whose website is:

www.jamesphogan.com...

Also the Known Space series written by Larry Niven, whose fan-run website is:

www.larryniven.org...

So what are your favorites?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Hard to tell you, the only real series I've read was Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey quadrilogy.

2001: A Space Odyssey
2010: Odyssey two
2061: Odyssey three
3001: The Final Odyssey.

They were absolutely classic.

Another series by the Japanese author Suzuki Koji, was also thrilling.

The Ring,
Spiral,
Loop,
Birthday.

[edit on 17/9/2008 by mandrake]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Thank you for the info on Koji. I'll look up that author on Amazon.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Just with series? Hmm...

Love the "Revelation Space" trilogy by Alastair Reynolds (although that may dip too far into the fantasy/ space opera genre for some.

It's cliche, but I also love the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

Double cliche - the Dune series by Frank Herbert - can't get enough of those!

(I spend a LOT of time reading. Nothing better than books :-) )

[edit on 9/17/2008 by CeltAngel]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Manifold Series by stephen baxter.... prepare your headache medicine before reading this :bnghd:

By the way frederik pohl's books are just my style, thank you for posting about them

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Falken]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm a fan of the Area 51 novels from Robert Doherty. Nine books in the series. Ties together a bunch of stuff that should be well known to readers here.

Area 51
Area 51: The Reply
Area 51: The Mission
Area 51: The Sphinx
Area 51: The Grail
Area 51: Excalibur
Area 51: The Truth
Area 51: Nosferatu
Area 51: Legend

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Jack Vance is my favorite for pure escapism and I love his style.

- The Dying Earth series is a hoot.
- Tchai, Planet of Adventure is good too, a lot of the characters remind me of people I work with.

These were written in the 60's so don't expect quantum stuff or computers that are god, they're more like space serials or character studies. They can be funny too, good books for a long flight.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I really loved the Foundation series by Issac Asimov. A truly epic tale of psychohistory and one man's dream to unite the galaxy after the fall of the galactic empire.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
CeltAngel, your comment about the fantasy genre reminds me of how I never got interested in fantasy until someone gave me a copy of The Hobbit and told me to read it! Okay, so now I love the writings of JRR Tolkien, and I will never again diss an entire genre.

The rest of the suggestions in this thread are great as well. I was despairing of having enough to read (currently we take an elderly relative to hemodialysis 3x/week for 4 1/2 hours a session), and I have thus far avoided the 10 simple (not) steps to make my notebook computer securely wireless, so I'm down to reading printed text. Thanks, people, I'm saved.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Uphill, thanks for reminding me. The entire Hobbit/ LotR universe contains some of the best books I've ever read. I'm adding that to my list of good series too!

Great ideas from everyone else too - I'm taking notes on some of these!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel

Love the "Revelation Space" trilogy by Alastair Reynolds (although that may dip too far into the fantasy/ space opera genre for some.

Mannn you're the first person I've ever seen who has read these too! I loved this series and its now on my shelf of all time favourites.

My other sci-fi favs are the Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton and the entire Dune series.

Just finished Paul Of Dune the other day....its well worth a read if anybody likes the dune novels

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I liked Otherland by Tad Willaims a lot. Most of the scifi I read are standalone books, so I can't contribute a lot to this thread, but that four book series is awesome. It takes place about 100 years in the future on Earth (no space travel or aliens) and has a lot of computer and other technology stuff. It's got some great characters, and an amazing story. It's really complicated, and has a lot of subplots going on, which I like a lot.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
books
series

wow too many to mention, but off the top of my head i'd say

dragons of pern by mercedes lackey
the ender novels by orson scott card
the wheel of time series by robert jordan
hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy by doug adams

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If it's just science fiction we're talking about, it's a 3 way tie. In no particular order.

Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
Future History series by Robert Heinlein
Dune by Frank Herbert

It's hard for me to pick between these three, If you add in fantasy to the mix then without a doubt it would be all the Drizzt novels by R.A. Salvatore as evidenced by my screen name.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I always thought Michael Moorcok did a great job with his 'Eternal Champion' series featuring Elric.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Dan Simmons Hyperion series is my most favorite sci/fi ever

HG Wells
George Orwell
Jules Verne
Asimov

So many good writers

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Ian M. Bank´s culture novels are truly great science fiction-he´s got an amazing imagination.
If you´ve not read any then ´The player of games´ or ´Use of weapons´ is a good place to start as the books are in no discernable order.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The Dune series by Frank Herbert and also the prequel/sequel series by his son and Kevin J Anderson have been favorite reads from my bookshelf for several years.

Another Sci-Fi favorite series is the Gray Death Legion Saga, something about giant robots has always been fascinating to me.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Dudes?
What about the Rama series???

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Right on about the Rama series. I had totally forgotten!!! Arthur C Clarke rules.

<<   2 >>

join