It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it ever "okay" to play Dirty Politics??!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I am writing this thread, not to talk about the current state of ATS, nor the campaign that is currently underway for President of the U.S.A. Please remain on topic.

A quick background;

Last night, I met my girlfriend's roommate, a graduate student who was gone for the summer on a geological study. We only had a minute together, and she explained that she would be gone until "after the election". Figuring it was about Sen. Barrack Obama, I merely asked what she was campaigning for.

She shocked me by saying that one of her parents (I won't say gender) was running for U.S. Senate!

Now, I have deliberately omitted the state, but I will say it is a VERY high profile campaign, against a very high profile Republican.

I am not a Republican, per say, but I definitely support the candidate in question, as oddly enough, I have actually worked with, and spent time with, that Senator in my youth.

So why this thread, and what is my point?

Well, this Sen. That I have known in the past, is under attack from many outside groups that are seeking the seat by spreading lies and half-truths.

Although I would never come on this board and use any information, I wonder if I have a duty or right to maybe share harming information (about the candidates child's lifestyle), if only to counter the effects of dirty politicking on the left. (in this case)

Is it "okay" because of my relationship to the Senator in question?
Is it "okay" due to the current false attacks against the Senator?

The truth is, as most of you may already know, I would never do this. But the rush to Alaska has proven that such information can be damaging, and those that may see the "overall good" in such a release would abdicate guilt in such an underhanded act.

Any thoughts?

Jason

[edit on 16-9-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Is there no response because the topic is rude, or am I not relating this to enough modern day examples?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It is never OK to resort to dirty politics.

Sometimes it is, unfortunately, useful to engage in a bit of dirt to get a desirable outcome that will benefit the majority of citizens.

Politics is a nasty business.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Fair enough.

So what leads to the mindset that this is okay in some circles?

Just curious.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
It is only dirty politics if the other side is doing it.

Yes that was a one liner.

SR

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Try reading 'The Prince' by Niccolo Machiavelli it's merely human nature my friend.

What the real question here is how do you profit or cash in and are the risks and final outcome worth it?

You may think that's strange and rude of me to say but put it in context with the situation and how others think.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SR

I don't think it rude. "payment" and "profit" are terms only loosely associated with money.

However, it would take the mother of all dirty campaign tricks for me to sacrifice my values.

Good question though!

top topics

join