It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics in ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I'm really tired of hearing about all the bickering going on at ats about political threads. I think it's a little strange that AP was merged with ATS. They have always had problems with political mud-slinging when it gets closer to voting time. Why couldn't anyone realize that these problems would be multiplied ten fold by putting all these topics on ATS? Why is an alternative oriented website so focused on mainstream views?

ATS is losing its identity. But hey, at least it gets more pageviews now. :shk:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
They have really taken steps to curb the problem, and after November the issue will calm down conciderably. THANK GOD.

BTW im writing a stinging expose on the candidates wanna take a read?

I personaly think that it would have been smarter for them to merge AP to ATS after the election. But hey its not my board.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I don't see it as a problem really.

Granted I was initially upset with the decision to merge PTS with ATS, but I soon calmed. What we have here is a case of "if you don't like it, don't read it." Very simple.

Politics are not for everyone by any means. The new rules have and will clean this up quite a bit until the election is over though.

I'll agree with you there are more garbage threads than quality ones in the political arena here, but that could be said of several boards. There are however, a few of us on this site who take politics seriously, and treat the discussion as such.

In the meantime though, if you don't like politics, stop opening the political threads.

There is still plenty of other stuff going on at ATS right now. Trust me.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

In the meantime though, if you don't like politics, stop opening the political threads.

Who said I was opening them?
I don't know it just seems strange, because BTS would actually seem much more fitting to house these topics, would it not?

ATS gets most of the traffic, and when non-members come on to read some of those outrageous political claims, they feel compelled to join so they can debate those claims. Politcs really seem to get a lot of people riled up. A ploy to get more members signed up? Probobly not, but the conspiracy theorist in me screams the question, "Why?"

What's next? Since we are going to start adding non-conspiratorial content to ATS, why not throw in religious topics as well?

I'm in no way complaining, let me make that clear. I'm just stating my opinion. ATS used to feel like a community to me, now it feels like a business. Although I always knew that ATS was a business, and the point of a business is to make as much money as possible. It just never really felt like one until recently.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well...we do have a Religion forum here.

Just because ATS is/was founded as a conspiracy site, does not mean it cannot harbor discussions about a broad range of topics. Thus we have the usual suspects, Aliens, Paranormal Studies, NOW, etc… Then we have other topics such as Politics, Religion, War on Terror, Survival, Technology, Space Exploration, Medical Issues, etc...

All of these do not necassarily induce conspiracy discussion, although they could. Some people feel that ATS should only be used for this reason, or only for that reason, and I don't see that. What ATS strives to be in my opinion is a place where people can come to have intelligent discussion about any topic they find interesting. This is a place where serious minded people can get away from the white noise of internet discussion, and have some real conversations with other serious minded people.

I also don't agree that ATS feels like a business though. It feels more like a tight knit community to me today than it ever has.

I guess it's all what you make of it though.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I hate the bickering as much as anyone, but families fight...

See that is what has happened here at ATS. We have far surpassed the Conspiracy only forum board and have become a community of all aspects of life. A family as it were.

As in any community we will have our glitches and as in most families, our fights.

I see all of this as positive in a broad sense. Instead of squelching and limiting our members to one form of discussion, ATS has broadened and grown to include all interests that are relatively common to most cultures. Again, a community.

Here with all of the varied and interesting forums, we are allowed, even invited, to discuss anything; only limited by the Terms and Conditions and the basic rules governing polite discourse everywhere.

There are places to go on ATS where we can "Get away from it all" or "Get in the middles of it all" and everything in between.

We can post our emotional stories, life events, sightings and theories. And yes, mixed in with all of this is the politics of the day. Many people are interested in politics, myself included. Not just the conspiracies involved, but the basic tenants and underlying effects on us all.

If you can embrace the diversity, you can embrace ATS

Semper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well said Semper, and I completely agree.

ATS is truly a wonderful place. I'm proud to be a member here.

I also think family is a good way to describe things here. There are a few people here who are as close to family as anyone I only know on the internet is ever going to get.

I love the diversity here.

top topics

join