It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sky is smiling- Upside down Rainbow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I saw this great story in my local newspaper and having never heard of the phenomena before thought I'd share it.

EXCEPTIONAL atmospheric conditions created a rare and stunning display in the skies above Cambridge.

At 4.45pm on Sunday, a circumzenithal arc - which looks like a bright, upsidedown rainbow - was visible above the city.

Cambridge-based astronomer Jacqueline Mitton captured the stunning sight, caused by sunlight being refracted through ice crystals high in the atmosphere, with her camera.

The phenomenon is rarely seen outside the polar regions.

She said: "I've never seen anything like it before - and I'm 60.

"The conditions have to be just right: you need the right sort of ice crystals and the sky has to be clear.

"It's quite surprising for this to occur somewhere like Cambridge, usually it is in places that are colder.

"We're not sure how big an area it was visible over, but it was certainly very impressive."

The intensity of the colours in the rainbow was heightened by the sun being at the optimum spot in the sky - 22 degrees.

And the sky was made even more dazzling with the presence of "sun dogs" - gleaming spots on a halo around the sun
* appearing near the phenomenon in the afternoon sky.

Dr Mitton said: "It was just an amazing combination of factors that happened at the right time."

Jacqueline's husband Simon, an astronomy writer, said:

"The circumzenithal arc is a quarter circle, pointing toward the setting sun.

"The 'rainbow' is much brighter and more concentrated than a rainfall rainbow."

A Met Office spokeswoman said: "They are fairly rare.

"It is convex to the sun and is formed by refraction in suitably-oriented ice crystals and may show vivid rainbow colouring, as in this case."

Here's a link to this story..

www.cambridge-news.co.uk...

Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to see it myself, with sundogs as well it must have looked awesome. I did manage to photograph a sundog last year though which looked pretty cool.

I've searched for Upside down rainbows on ATS and the only thread I could find was this one which is pretty old and no photo was available..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please feel free to leave comments and even share your own photos of this kind of phenomena.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
wow!
never saw a rainbow like this :-)
thanks!!!
Nia

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Looks lovely... shame there are no other pictures as I could do with a new desktop background.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to blame this on the LHC

However I do vaguely remember watching some random science show a few years back, which showed that rainbows are in fact circular. The demonstrated it by firing a hose with a fine mist from a tower, and observing it from above. Sorry I can't remember which one it was, I tend to watch lots of science programs.

join