It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In The Event of A U.S Meltdown Where Would You Go?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Just wondering if people here have any ideas of where to go in the event of a complete United States collapse.. obviously I can see the possibility of riots and civil disorder.. Congress reportedly met in secret for this situation earlier this year
If you are in a country\place you think is ideal please post here. Somewhere where English is spoken and there is a descent economy would be a plus.. This is looking more and more likely with the way things are going..

[edit on 16-9-2008 by thefreepatriot]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Not in the USA (Merry England instead!).
If I was it would depend on what SITX it was and how close I was to the nearest border.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Honestly, I believe it would unfold like a few tv shows with a little more realism displacement within the individual. Cause if the USA was to meltdown, there would be survivors and those survivors would do what it takes in a country using 3rd world means to get by, cause that's how the USA would be. Jericho was about many little bombs that went off at the same time all over the USA, you get the idea of how to survive or what might happen to your means of survival by watching that, not from a Hollywood standpoint but from a realism view. Jeremiah is also another show that wasn't about a nation meltdown but a global meltdown, but the same scenario played out for the individual groups and people that survived and what they had to do to live on. They didn't find themselves running off to another country cause getting around in a time like that will make traveling extremely hazardous, unless you have a solid team of survivors that are banded together like true brothers and sisters. But even then the hard times would take a serious toll on even the most strong. People would try to make it to the safest spots, or take over spots and call that a safe spot till it's no longer safe due to people wanting what they got. People might try to run to Canada or Mexico, would they let us in? Would we make it that far if you lived in the middle of the country? Once the pumps run out then what?

To answer the OP's question... I haven't the foggiest idea where I'd go, it would all depend on what and who was left I suppose.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'd head for any one of the national forests here in oregon...guarantee I wont be found unlesss I want to.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

I like oregan very good idea... A financial meltdown will take place for sure.. and people will panic.. riots will ensue. especially in low income neighborhoods I know police depts are hiring like crazy down south and even removed age requirements..accepting officers with past records etc.. this is a possible sign that cities have been advised of what is possible in the next year or two...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

England will probably close borders.. I understand they have an immigration problem now.. if too many Americans try to go there for sure they won't let them in... It would be good if we get there early.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

i live in TN on the border of alabama and have noticed they are hiring a bunch more police officers here to and increased there jail system by 3 times the size it once was.
this is about too get crazy really quick, my wife friend just got on as a correctional officer in huntsville AL

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I live in Brazil, and in the case of a completely US meltdown I would go...

...nowhere.

Well, maybe not "nowhere", but most likely not outside the country and definitely not outside south america.

Peace

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
I'd head for any one of the national forests here in oregon...guarantee I wont be found unlesss I want to.

Man you just gave it away, everyone will be flocking there now, I know of a state that has lots of abandoned cabins that I surely would be able to use year round and grow lots of sustainable veggies, plus wildife to shoot for meat.......

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 38181

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

Man you just gave it away, everyone will be flocking there now, I know of a state that has lots of abandoned cabins that I surely would be able to use year round and grow lots of sustainable veggies, plus wildife to shoot for meat.......

The thing is, people can flock to the oregon forests all they want. Unless you are somewhat acclimated to them, you wont survive for very long. It is a temperate rainforest, full of preditors and danger.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Hee, my first response is what christopher titus says: to the lexus dealership.

But honestly, I would just hike a few hours east to the shore. This is a great area, not too bad of a winter,summers are hot. But lots of trees, food, farmable land, etc. And not a lot of disasters.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I live in the country.

I'd just stay home.

Me and my food, water, generator, wood stove.

There can be riots in the cities but when the crowds move towards the country, they will need to bring something to barter with or be better armed then the country folk.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I would have to get a feel for what was happening.

if the US gov. just stopped one day. a neighborhood full of friends and true neighbors would be better than a survival kit.

if it was a sit x and marshal law were declared then its a toss-up. Staying in would provide sustenance and maybe a wait it out approach would be best.

if it were a foreign army invading, I hide my guns in my car so that no one can find them less they dismantle the whole damn thing (and if they are going to do that you are in trouble any ways) and head to the hills and find a militia.

so, it depends.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Hee, my first response is what christopher titus says: to the lexus dealership.

That is fantastic....I just watched the first couple episodes of season one of his show last night on DVD

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
There would be no where to go. It is not possible for a US only economic meltdown. It would be global meltdown. Look at the would markets this week. You might as well stay here. I would rather stay here and tough it out somehow then to be an outsider elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Im in AZ. phoenix to be exact. Id just head up north. Its cooler for the summer and id move further south of the forests in the winter. Have a few different places mapped out. Not paying attention too much to property lines since in that situation property owners may or may not be around. I will most definately bug out though even if i have to wait a week or so first.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Stay put and don't panic.

First rule of thumb in any economic depression: cash is king!

2nd rule : Buy your essentials in bulk if you can but as the ED sorts itself out , find out what folks really need ie non-hybrid seeds, lead for bullets, herbal treatments for longterm illness.

We live in the digital age. We can network faster than any gov't agency can possibly respond to. This is where we will find out how well folks can truly govern themselves.

This is the 2nd time in living memory that we've faced economic depression, let's not let the bastards in Washington give away the store to the rich like they did during the '30's.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The Rockies or the Wichitas, I know the wichitas like the back of my hand because I grew up in them, but I know how to survive in the Rockies as well because I stayed there in "roughing it" conditions alot when I was younger so just depends on situation.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

I will stay right where I am;I will clean up the mess which was created by other people. If America were to go through a difficult time, the happy people would remain happy and miserable people would remain miserable. Anyone expecting America to deteriorate into Mad Max or the Road Warrior will be disappointed.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by riggins44

I think you're statement is spot on. Unless a person or group/family has ties and connection to a different area, or has made plans/provisions for a bugout, why would you choose to thrust yourself into an unfamiliar terrain or area?

In the event of U.S. meltdown, I think that basically means a global metldown. Not trying to overvalue the U.S., but at least financially, many countries' monetary systems are closely tied to the U.S. We would stay here, and it's perception of possible patterns that lead us to move here 14 years ago. Sure, a small insurgency could take us over, but then what? nothing to export, and few natural resources for those who don't understand the life here. It's not an easy life, but it's simple, and I value that above many other systems.

You want to eat? Here's a coconut. Over there, that's the sea. Fish live there, and lobster and whelks and conch and other critters that I'd try if I were desperate. I'd eat a LOT of things before I'd saute a sea cucumber, having seen them several times at night, twisting and gyrating, looking like a giant ......... NEVERmind.

It's a good thing to think about these things. I would guess that most places that people think of as their "bugout place"..... well, there might be several folks that also think so. In a collapse, property rights and borders belong to those who can hold them, those who can take them.

Good thread.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join