It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-32

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Boeing X-32 is an experimental prototype demonstrator for the Joint Strike Fighter Programme. The aim is to develop an affordable next-generation aircraft with a common design that can be used in three different versions that will replace aging aircraft.
Boeing has built two concept demonstrator aircraft called X-32A and X-32B. The X-32A concept demonstrator made its first flight on 18 September, 2000, and completed its flight test program on Feb. 3, 2001. The X-32B made its first flight March 29, 2001 and at present is being tested to validate the Boeing direct-lift approach to STOVL flight.

The Boeing X-32 is has a simple, modular airframe design. The competion criteria set forth by the U.S. government is that the aircraft has to have a common design and to have the ability to be produced in three different versions:

Short take-off and vertical landing version to replace its AV-8B Harrier and F/A-18 Hornet
Conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) version to replace the F-16 and A-10, and to complement the F-22A Raptor
Carrier-based strike fighter to complement the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and to replace the A-6
Each of these variants must perform unique missions and flight characteristics and share a high level of commonality to reduce costs.

Boeing X-32 (JSF) Specifications

Type: Experimental Prototype Demonstrator for the Joint Strike Fighter

Main Powerplant: 1 x Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 turbofan

Empty Weight: 10,200 kg

Maximum Take-Off Weight: 22,700 kg

Length: 13.6 m

Span: 11,0 m

Wing Area: 55 sq m

Crew: 1

Maximum Speed: Aprroximately Mach 1.5
OOOPPPSSS can a mod move this too the Aircraft Projects forum

I was in the wrong forum when this came to my mind

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by The_Fiend]

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by The_Fiend]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
and your point is??????????????????

(why didnt u use the aeroplane section of the forum????)

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
and also it wont be used, it didnt win against the f-35 gosh maaaaaaaaaaaan.................

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
i love this aircraft. its one of my favorite ever. Am i correct to say this is the carrier version of teh f-22

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Am i correct to say this is the carrier version of teh f-22

no, you're not.

Lockheed-Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
the yf32 was fighting against the f35 in the JSF project. and the yf32 is one ugly plane.
The yf23 blackwidow was a much more beautyfull plane when it was in a battle for a contract with the f22 raptor. which is also a great looking plane, specially the fb22 (fighter bomber) variant.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Yet another stat page. Nice looking design and everything, but it didn't have what it takes to match with the now known f-35 jsf.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Hmmm...there are aircraft similar to this in Matthew Reilly's book Area 7. I guess its a good conspiracy book for the people here.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
great plane and all, but it lost out to the 35, and IMO is one ugly duck!

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the navy take a F/A-22 or YF-23 as their main plane - the reason: The Navy conntributes as much as the Airforce does in air combat roles because carriers allow for rapid forward deployment. Thus, our best F/A is only available to part of our air power. Personally - and I made the point in another thread - I think both the USAF and US Navy made a HUGE mistake in not going with the YF-23 as the main attack aircraft.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
its the x-32, not yf-32 because it was deemed that the performance winner between the two jsf types would not nessecarily the winner, so yf wasny used
a little known fact about the atf competition was that the f-22 was picked partly because it was easier to convert to a navy craft (the navy was involved at this point in the atf competiotion) by adding swing wings and a new cockpit, but three months after the yf-22 won the navy dropped its atf plans.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Copied verbatim from:

members.lycos.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
non the less I found another x craft its the x30 with a picture. go to this link and when the pdf is open go to slide 10

www.darpa.mil...

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This is has been discussed a hundred times before, you are wrong to say this is the Carrier version of the F-22 for the F-35 JSF has three Versions-
F-35a basic AirForce Model- Normal Air Supieriority fighter as well as strike aircraft.

F-35b Marine STOVL model- Vertical take off and landing capability

F-35c Navy Carrier model- Larger wing span

I'm not supplying pics, we all know what it looks like.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I heard somewere i heard that the x-32 is going to still be built but not for the armed forces. I think it was going to be built for nasa research. once i find out were i read that ill post it.

top topics

join