It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome movie about Mars- Stranded (2002)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hey guys. I caught this movie over the weekend on Showtime and it was awesome. It was about a spacecraft to mars that gets shipwrecked, and well you need to watch it to see the rest. It has an awesome outcome.

Check it out.

Stranded: Náufragos (2002) More at IMDb Pro »
Photos (see all 3 | slideshow)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director:María Lidón

Writer:Juan Miguel Aguilera (screenplay)

Release Date:12 April 2002 (Spain) more
Genre: Drama | Sci-Fi more
Plot:A team of astronauts on the first mission to Mars crashes onto the surface, losing contact with Earth...

Awards:3 wins & 2 nominations more

[edit on 16-9-2008 by rocksarerocks]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I saw it 2 years ago and I didn't particularly like it, and I'm a huge sci/fi fan. I much preferred Red Planet.

But that's just my personal opinion

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
I saw it 2 years ago and I didn't particularly like it, and I'm a huge sci/fi fan. I much preferred Red Planet.

But that's just my personal opinion

Yeah this was a much much lower budget scale you could tell. You could also tell the whole thing was ADR, and the actors were all foreign trying to speak perfect english.

It was definitely 'B' or 'C' acting but had some cool ideas.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I've seen it, but it wasn't very memorable if you ask me.

I must ask though...is there something of a conspiratorial nature regarding the movie that you wanted to discuss? Or, and I know the answer, do you think the alien and UFO section is for movie reviews and discussion. Don't take that in a bad way, but this post belongs in BTS, not ATS.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
will check it out. my favorite mars movie.. was Mission to Mars. The end of that movie.. was just.. no. words.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
We should discuss the parts of the movie about the oxygen and gravity, those were things I didn't really understand.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well, what would you like to know about the oxygen (or lack therof) and gravity on mars? I will try to help as much as I can. For starters.

The atmosphere of Mars is relatively thin, and the atmospheric pressure on the surface varies from around 30 Pa (0.03 kPa) on Olympus Mons's peak to over 1155 Pa (1.155 kPa) in the depths of Hellas Planitia, with a mean surface level pressure of 600 Pa (0.6 kPa), compared to Earth's 101.3 kPa, and a total mass of 25 teratonnes, compared to Earth's 5148 teratonnes. However, the scale height of the atmosphere is about 11 km, somewhat higher than Earth's 7 km. The atmosphere on Mars consists of 95% carbon dioxide, 3% nitrogen, 1.6% argon, and contains traces of oxygen, water, and methane, for a mean molecular weight of 43.34 g/mole.

Mars' gravity is only about 38% of the surface gravity on Earth.

All found in a quick wiki search.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I was especially interested in how they tried to explain the pressure and oxygen in the sections that had it, do you remember how or if they explained that?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksarerocks
I was especially interested in how they tried to explain the pressure and oxygen in the sections that had it, do you remember how or if they explained that?

You mean in the movie? perhaps you shout go to the BTS movie section and pose your questions there.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I do mean in the movie but I was hoping you could maybe shed some light if you saw it.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Just watched it...thought they should have called it "Stupid" instead of "Stranded".

Acting from Vincent Galo, Maria de Medeiros, and Joaquim de Almeida was pretty good IMO, but they were let down by mediocre writing and plotline. It seemed that the other two actors had voice-over, and I was pleased when the first one ran out of oxygen.

In answer to the question of how they justify pressurized, oxygenated atmosphere, the movie was very weak. At one point, they postulate alien technology, as the captain deduces that certain corridors marked with a star are unsafe and unpressurized. Then towards the end of the movie, they imply that it is related to the depth of the canyon, and that is why the alien ruins are located there.

top topics

join