It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge: Riviera Beach 'saggy pants' ban unconstitutional

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beforetime
sorry
if you allow people to walk around showing there underwer...not here swimming trunk's.
big difference

we might as well say it's ok to go in public with nothing but our tidy whitey's on.

it's no different.

and yes i shouldn't have to explain to my 6 year old why it's ok to go around showing people your underwear.

instead i explain it's wrong to go in public to offend other's in any way shape or form.
be respectful .
and showing little kid's you underwear IS NOT respectful

I don't know about you guys but, I don't want to have to explain anything to my six yr old. I want everyone to be the same.Plus explaining is work and takes effort. If I am not careful I might give the impression that it is ok to be different and god forbid teach tolorance.[end sarc]

People that think the way you do end up being leaders of countries that kill alot of people. ehhemmmHITLERhuugg. scuze me had a cough.
I am all for people doing their own thing. Society will take care of them in one form or another. No need more more "F"ING LAWS!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Everone should wear a suit, shirt and tie. Short back and sides haircut. Go to work, smile at 6 'clock and bed by 8.30. Problem solved. Starting at the age of 5.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The 1950s is when I went to grade school, and it sucked. I don't want my grand kids to go to school in such a suppressive era. If you are a parent, it is your responsibility to answer such questions. You can say, hey it's a silly fad, or you can express your ethnic prejudices. You decide which is the right thing to tell them. Kids come up with crazy ideas about fashion every few years. It is silly but I did it too. 40 years ago some red neck small town cop, would've jailed me for wearing my hair the length that I do now. What good is freedom if you can't express it, by upsetting the straight laced old people.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
One of the most amazing details that hasn't been mentioned yet, to my knowledge, is that this law was on the ballot and passed by the voters of Riviera Beach. This was not something passed by the city council but the masses themselves! I live just south of Riviera Beach and remember when it was passed!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician
Someone explain to me how this law is unconstitutional.

It's just a city ordinance, and the state, county, and city have the right under the constitution of the United States (and State constitution), Article 10, to enact and enforce their own laws as long as those laws are not delegated to the United States, nor prohibited by the constitution. They are "reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

It was left up to a vote, and the people of the city "approved the law in March by a 72 percent tally." The people wanted it.

You missed the point: The bad law that was thrown out DID violate the Constitution: The Supreme Court decided what obscene conduct is and showing underwear is far from the legally defined offense. In other words, no local entity can make laws that go against the Federal decisions, and this issue has been decided.

Unless there are body parts showing that would cause the viewer to be shocked in their conscience and the body parts were exhibited ( not cloth) then there is NO ofense. I KNEW that this would end this way....all local laws done to placate the rich in their countrry club towns end up being tossed. Showing underwear is NOT the same as showing sexual organs in public, and until the lawmakers stop sucking up for votes by making bad laws doomed to failure we will see this nonsense all the time.

Bad laws...we have so many...time to sweep them all away. Stupid pigs and stupid laws...what a town!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join