It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lucid Dreaming - The Ultimate How-to Guide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It is very hard for someone who hasn't has a lucid dream to understand what it is. For those who have had a lucid dream, it is an experience like no other! I'm putting together a quick how-to guide for those interested in the truly alternate reality! Share your experiences here or watch some of the Videos below for a quick how-to guide. It's easier than you think.

Some background:

A lucid dream is a dream in which the person is aware that he or she is dreaming while the dream is in progress, also known as a conscious dream. When the dreamer is lucid, he or she can actively participate in the dream environment without any of the limitations that otherwise would feel natural to persons who incorrectly believe they are in the "real" waking world. Lucid dreams can be extremely real and vivid depending on a person's level of self-awareness during the lucid dream.

One problem faced by people wishing to lucid dream is awakening prematurely. This premature awakening can be frustrating after investing considerable time into achieving lucidity in the first place.

Stephen LaBerge proposed two ways to prolong a lucid dream. The first technique involves spinning one's dream body. He proposed that when spinning, the dreamer is engaging parts of the brain that may also be involved in REM activity, helping to prolong REM sleep. The second technique is rubbing one's hands. This technique is intended to engage the dreamer's brain in producing the sensation of rubbing hands, preventing the sensation of lying in bed from creeping into awareness. LaBerge tested his hypothesis by asking 34 volunteers to either spin, rub their hands, or do nothing. Results showed 90% of dreams were prolonged by hand rubbing and 96% prolonged by spinning. Only 33% of lucid dreams were prolonged with taking no action.[45]

Once the initial barrier of lucidity is broken, the dreamer’s next obstacle is the excitement of being conscious within a dream. It is key that the dreamer immediately relaxes upon becoming lucid. There are many methods that work, but in general saturating any of the senses with stimuli from the dream is important. Vision is usually the first sense to fade away, with touch commonly being the last. If the dream starts to fade, you can grab a hold of anything close by, making sure to feel the tactile sensation. Other techniques include shouting in a loud and clear voice, “INCREASE LUCIDITY!” inside the dream. People are often reluctant to do this, but it significantly stabilizes the dream and increases its vividness. The well-known author, Carlos Castaneda, suggests that the dreamer touch their tongue to the roof of their mouth, an action that greatly increases the realness of the dream.

It is my belief that lucid dreams could allow us to tap into a reality that carries an in valuable source of information and experience. Take advantage of it!

Lucid dreaming has been researched scientifically, and its existence is well established.Scientists such as Allan Hobson, with his neurophysiological approach to dream research, have helped to push the understanding of lucid dreaming into a less speculative realm.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by NightVision]

MOD EDIT: Adding link to the above source. Please go here for the full article.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by TheBorg]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Umm...Hate to disagree, but not the ultimate guide...FAR from it. How about you tell me and the rest of ATS how to achieve this state of conscious dreaming.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixBaller04
Umm...Hate to disagree, but not the ultimate guide...FAR from it. How about you tell me and the rest of ATS how to achieve this state of conscious dreaming.

It's explained in the videos. What did you do? Gloss everything over? It would be a waste of time for me to simply quote them. If you had watched them, or perhaps some of the applied principles to your experience then it is likely you could have experience a lucid dream by now. Given your apparent lack of an ability to study or do your homework on this topic, it seems unlikely you will. If you've made it this far reading this response, consider yourself as having improved in your comprehension skills.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision

Originally posted by MatrixBaller04

It's explained in the videos. What did you do? Gloss everything over? It would be a waste of time for me to simply quote them. If you had watched them, or perhaps some of the applied principles to your experience then it is likely you could have experience a lucid dream by now. Given your apparent lack of an ability to study or do your homework on this topic, it seems unlikely you will. If you've made it this far reading this response, consider yourself as having improved in your comprehension skills.

Even with the videos, it's far from an ultimate guide. I'd classify it as simply a guide. The tips on how to maintain lucidity are nice, though.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hey, just gotta say that this post has certainly caught my eye.

Over the last few months I've been experiencing these kind of dreams more and more often. One in particular when I experienced falling and I awoke with a start in my bed... I could swear I was awake...

It certainly made my heart beat faster tho haha

It'd be good to keep an eye of this, so continue posting, I'd love to hear of other experiences!!

TheSecretTruth

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The idea is to keep adding to this thread to help make it the Ultimate Guide. It can also double as an OBE experience thread.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
For me Lucid dreaming is triggered by interrupted sleep....

If I have slept for a good 3-4 hours, I somehow awaken and fall back to sleep.

This brief intermission lets me grasp the dreaming world more clearly than before.

Its really difficult to explain how to lucid dream......Lucid dreaming is more of a sensation then anything else.

How can you describe sight to a blind person?

Its really a matter of personal perspective.....

Good luck to all the dreamers out there!

new topics

top topics

join