It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Policy: Technology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
2008 Presidential Candidate Platform Discussion

John McCain has a broad and cohesive vision for the future of American innovation. His policies will provide broad pools of capital, low taxes and incentives for research in America, a commitment to a skilled and educated workforce, and a dedication to opening markets around the globe. He’s committed to streamlining burdensome regulations and effectively protecting American intellectual property in the United States and around the globe.

www.johnmccain.com...

Presented for critical discussion and analysis by ATS members under the spirit of the new guidelines announced in This Thread.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I see this as a oxymoron. McCain admits himself that he does not know how to use a computer.....how can he properly make a decision on regulation?

Also, last night on Fox News I saw Dick Morris and Sean Hannity saying that it was dishonorable to question this because he couldn't use a computer from his war injuries?? Seems to me Stephen Hawking uses a computer all the time???
Just sounds like more false outrage to me.

Instead of looking at the issue.....pretend that you are highly offended by what the other side says to skirt the issue...and turn it into a attack. Gotta love Rovian tactics.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

how can he properly make a decision on regulation?

He doesn't need his hands to make a decision. His lack of experience won't affect his decision making in this area. Just like any other issue he will have advisors that will guide him on what would be the best solution.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

He doesn't need his hands to make a decision. His lack of experience won't affect his decision making in this area. Just like any other issue he will have advisors that will guide him on what would be the best solution.

Seems to me that that is a rather generic response. This can be said for any area a candidate is lacking in then.

With all the attacks on Obama's experience I would expect that this would nullify any attacks saying he has none, seeing how he can get " advisors that will guide him on what would be the best solution." Works both ways.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I agree with you. Obama experience is not the issue. But that doesn't mean what each candidate propose is not an issue.

The problem with that is that most of their plans are vague in nature.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Everyone knows that most geriatric senators and congresscritters don't even know how to send an email let alone dial a touch tone phone. Most of them don't have the necessary knowledge and skill base to make educated decisions in this field. Proof is in the DMCA. Written by a Republican Congress and Signed by a Democrat President. *phaw* Sound technology policy is going to have to wait a generation methinks.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Sound technology policy is going to have to wait a generation methinks.

What is "sound technology policy"? What would it encompass, and why would the ability to run a particular software application be a prerequisite?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

So, I guess I will post their actual policies.....and you decide.

Network Neutrality

Obama's says: "A key reason the Internet has been such a success is because it is the most open network in history. It needs to stay that way. Barack Obama strongly supports the principle of network neutrality to preserve the benefits of open competition on the Internet."

McCain's says: "John McCain does not believe in prescriptive regulation like 'net-neutrality,' but rather he believes that an open marketplace with a variety of consumer choices is the best deterrent against unfair practices."

Net neutrality is essential to a healthy internet.....otherwise we end up with monopolies....and companies like Comcast throttling my BitTorrent .

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Diversity of Media Ownership

Obama's says: "Barack Obama believes that providing opportunities for minority-owned businesses to own radio and television stations is fundamental to creating the diverse media environment that federal law requires and the country deserves and demands. As president, he will encourage diversity in the ownership of broadcast media, promote the development of new media outlets for expression of diverse viewpoints, and clarify the public interest obligations of broadcasters who occupy the nation’s spectrum."

McCain's says: [Nothing -- there's nothing about diversity or media ownership in his technology plan.]

Obama's plan: Good for everyone but Rush Limbaugh.
McCain: No plan.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

General Worldview Towards Technology

Obama's says: "Obama is also opening up the campaign and giving average Americans a chance to offer opinions and information on important policy issues and Americans have responded: over 15,000 policy ideas have been submitted through the web site."

McCain's says: "Offering simple common sense solutions to real problems is at the core of the McCain’s innovation agenda."

Obama's plan: Listen to the people
McCain's plan: One vaguely worded sentence.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

how can he properly make a decision on regulation?

By this logic, anyone (including a complete idiot) at all can be the next POTUS because a magic team of advisors will provide advice on any issue at hand, and it all will be in the best interest of American people. I hope you are being sarcatstic here.

I have an opposite view -- I value a leader whose has intuition, which in turn is stimulated by their own experience. Anyone who has interest in all things digital and is an avid user of all manner of network has a vastly better understanding of what people need than a computer-illiterate senator surrounded by a group of special interest representatives.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
A President barely has enough time to scratch his ass much less get intrically involved on every detail of every issue. That is why the President is surrounded by advisors. Do you really think Obama is running his own website? Do you really think Obama fully understand what every piece of technology is capable of? Do you really think Obama writes his own speech on technology? Yes, even a complete idiot could make it as POTUS, just depends how likable he or she is. Remeber most people vote on who they like, not the issues.

Vote for Pedro!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Technology is much, much more than just the internet. No POTUS can be an expert in all fields of technology. And network neutrality and media ownership are not even technological issues; they are more regulatory issues.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTopSecret.com

John McCain has a broad and cohesive vision for the future of American innovation. His policies will provide broad pools of capital, low taxes and incentives for research in America, a commitment to a skilled and educated workforce, and a dedication to opening markets around the globe. He’s committed to streamlining burdensome regulations and effectively protecting American intellectual property in the United States and around the globe.

It's easy to say something with no backing and no set strategy on how to execute these goals. Talk is cheap when it comes from a Repub.

Edit; And isn't McCain the one that can't even turn a computer on?

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I heard McCain invented blackberries. Now correct me if I am wrong, I know McCain is pretty old, but I thought God did that.

I enjoy blackberries...on an Oregon river, just reach for the shore-line and, yummy!

[edit on 18-9-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

What does your post add to the discussion? It's tough enough with the new guidelines; posts like that make it that much more difficult.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
McCain on technology = outsourcing.

He is ok with sending jobs overseas and has no intention of closing any tax loopholes for Corporations that send jobs overseas.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy
I see this as a oxymoron. McCain admits himself that he does not know how to use a computer.....how can he properly make a decision on regulation?

THis is more a question of whether you can believe the McCain will be able to effectively delegate authority. There are many many old timers who can't use a computer. However, This certainly does not mean they are stupid or ignorant.

The thing that needs to be observe is how he chooses his cabinet members, should he win the election.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
I heard McCain invented blackberries. Now correct me if I am wrong, I know McCain is pretty old, but I thought God did that.

I enjoy blackberries...on an Oregon river, just reach for the shore-line and, yummy!

[edit on 18-9-2008 by pluckynoonez]

I heard Obama invented dingleberries. Now correct me if I am wrong. I know he is young, but I thought evolution did that.

I obstain from eating dingleberries at all cost, and avoid drinking Evian.

LMAO..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join