It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Policy: Disabilities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
2008 Presidential Candidate Platform Discussion

"We must build a world free of unnecessary barriers, stereotypes, and discrimination .... policies must be developed, attitudes must be shaped, and buildings and organizations must be designed to ensure that everyone has a chance to get the education they need and live independently as full citizens in their communities."

www.barackobama.com...

Presented for critical discussion and analysis by ATS members under the spirit of the new guidelines announced in This Thread.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

I'll bite.

The quote cited expresses a wonderful sentiment but does little to explain how America is to achieve these goals, which only serves to make what would be an inspiring statement into typical political claptrap and very typical Obama speech material - Long on ideals and buzzwords and short on instructions. Perhaps there's a reason for that...

I don't have to read very far down the page to get to something that isn't just a political talking point, it's an idea that I see as very potentially harmful to America. Barack Obama states that he wants the US to become a signatory and have the Senate ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. IMO, nothing that the UN has come up with is good for anyone but the organization itself,and they set the poorest example in actually achieving anything but bureacracy and wasted money - two things which Barack Obama feels quite at home with.

The Obama website goes on to (very vaguely) outline his plan to improve the lives of Americans with disabilities.

First, provide Americans with disabilities with the educational opportunities they need to succeed.

Second, end discrimination and promote equal opportunity.

Third, increase the employment rate of workers with disabilities.

And fourth, support independent, community-based living for Americans with disabilities.

Again, long on warm and fuzzy feelings and very very short on how much this "plan" will cost, how its goals will be achieved, and anything fact-related at all.

There's a link at the very bottom of the page (which most blind supporters will not bother to read) to the details of the plan which I will read and comment on further.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
as a person who is disabled i find it funny that he thinks that he can pander with out any actual policies on the matter. end discrimination? exactly how would you go about that , thats a mighty lofty goal but one thats unresonable to think you can accomplish. im a paranoid skitzoaffective with disasscoative disorders and bipolar affect. whats he goona do walk with me every where and stop people in my area from whispering "there goes that psycho who lives down the street and almost never leaves his house", he goona personaly tell parents to not takes their kids to walk across the street so i wont be near them? i dont think so.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

I agree with you on this issue, Krill. I've got virtually the same diagnosis.

I've gotten to where I can pose as a "normal member of society" for those who don't know my condition, but for those who do - there's always a bit of hesitancy when talking to me. It tends to make me severely self concsious, and as a result - I spend a lot of time at home alone these days due to social anxieties.

How does Obama plan to enact this vision of his?

Not everyone watches the news, and popular culture is so full of the "schizo is crazy" meme right now that it will undoubtably take generations to undo that damage - even if a large scale campaign to educate and enlighten gets pushed forward.

I'd love to think of a day where I'm not judged by hesteria and fear, I just can't fathom how such a change would come about.

But still, it's nice to see someone addressing the subject.

[edit on 9/21/08 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
i agree ge that its nice to hear someone talking about it, but its a war on a concept and they dont work. look at the war on drugs, the war on terrorisim, the war on crime. none have succeded because you cant defeat a concept. its like saying "im goona put a end to racisim, sexisim, ageisim" its a nice idea but realisticly its a impossible goal.

as far as trying to assimilate with normal society iv been trying sience my onset at the age of 12 and i just cant do it. i pay attention to my surrondings to a degree my wife calls my "skitzo sense" and i have weapons hidden all over my house ect.

im doing much better sience i went in to the psyche ward earlier this year to have my meds changed. i was way over medicated. but still im no closer to being able to blend in with everybody else, to help i try not to leave the house much and when i do its usualy late at night when theres very few people around.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

Uk Healthy Persona
No Buddy, I make you right . How is This Man even Fathoming at achieving half these disability goals? Well I`ll tell you how(ever seen Gatica?) well thats how. If you Healthy and I do mean 100% Healthy people have seen the film ,well My Friends that is only a small,and I mean very small sample of what is to come. Do you not think We"The Human Race" has out grown the planet?. Well So do They! And They will Try , every thing ,from MRSA to Bird flu ,HIV Etc to Eradicate Us. I Have`nt a clue on how were to stand up to Them .But Please be prepared Men and Women! I am not some fool ,I have done My many Years of research! All I Ask Is - PLEASE MANKIND DON`T BE TAKEN FOR AN IDIOT, PROTECT YOUR FAMILY,NUCLEAR WEAPONS ARE JUST A TOOL IN THERE AMO BELT. PROTECT YOURSELVES NOW! GOOD LUCK PEOPLE, AND GOD BLESS, LOVE YOU ALL HUMANITY!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

I too am bi-polar and cannot hold a job
Catch-22;if you tell them you are bi-polar they will not hire you;if you don't tell them and they hire you-you have no legal protections
and it is very stressful to work with people who keep wondering why you are a little strange
I hope politicians understand this
I just don't want them re-opening the old drug-and-dump institutions
Or forcing us to take meds

new topics

top topics

join