It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyday Items to Prove you are from the Future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I have been reading all these threads about Titor and various other people claiming they are from the future so I thought it would be interesting to think about what I would take with me if I could travel back to 1908 and prove my claim that I was indeed a time traveller. (any further and I would probably be burnt at the stake)

If I can do this, surely the REAL time travellers could too? If not, I would really keep my mouth shut for fear of being locked up in a looney bin.

What would I take (items have to be able to fit in a pocket):
1. ipod with solar rechargeable cells.
2. ball point pen
3. my solar powered casio watch
4. my contact lenses

What would you take?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Hopefully the Time Machine I used to get there. All the proof I need plus the added bonus of being able to get home, or go sometime else.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Then why do people like Titor have such a huge following (almost cult-like) when they do not appear to have a shred of evidence? At least with UFO's we seem to have historical, photographic and video evidence.

This never ceases to amaze me.

I thought about taking something like a TV, but that would not work ... it would just be a useless box with wires. No signal and nothing to plug it into.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Like a certain movie I think Id go for the sports almanac

Although I think you could take something like a Iphone and convince them quite easily you are an Alien from Mars if you wanted.

Almost anything with an lcd screen would blow their minds thinking about it even velcro and zips would blow them away.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

Now that's more what I am aiming for ... basically what I am looking at are things that we take for granted these days, yet can prove their validity.

Of course I would also take back something like the sports almanac and make a killing (if I wanted to be a rich man in those times). I would be afraid of being the target of some mobsters wanting to take advantage of my "gift" for being able to foretell the future though... hmmm

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Hehe sorry dude, I was just pointing out the logical choice, but I guess Ill expand a bit further.

Initially I thought perhaps a TV or laptop but I realised the requirement for power would be difficult, though not impossible. Of course batteries and solar power are obvious choices but they don't have the "WOW" value I would want to impress them with. So a generator, or parts to build one, could be taken as well as any given electrical device that has WOW value.

One must be careful of what one took though. We cannot go polluting the timeline with paradoxes and ideas that are years/decades ahead of the time. My idea of just the time machine does not pollute the timeline as the evidence is taken back with you and the idea was there at the time.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Personally I believe going back in time is too much off a paradox anyway ... my personal belief is that we can theoretically go forward in time, but not backwards - if we could go back in time, it would not be to our personal timeline which has already run it's course, but to another timeline which has yet to run.

Therefore I could pollute all I want and that timeline would simply evolve in that direction without fear of causing me to simply go "poof" forever.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I've been thinking a bit more myself some other possibles

laser pointer
(well they impressed me when they appeared)

leatherman multitool
(they would never have seen anything like it)

coins
(not that effective probably but worth a go)

autoglock
(personal defence and impressive basicly a hand-held machine gun)

Tazer as an alternative
(stop the gun falling in the wrong hands this will at least run out of juice and safer which is probably quite important for timelines)

I'll leave it at that and give other people some chance but I think almost anything you can buy today including candy bars would be somewhat effective.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

ooooooooo laser pointer ... I love that one, wish I had thought of it .. especially the new high powered ones that you can buy over the internet and can be seen miles away. I would dine with royalty if I could show them that.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I would take todays newspaper with me.

The horse racing section.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Ahhh great line of thinking people. I would take an IPOD video with me and have the song/video "WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE" by Billy Joel loaded and ready to roll on it for the world to see.

Actually I would do a little research and teach myself to design and make a steam fitting so I could plug an air compressor powered device onto a steam producing unit - then I would take back an air powered Bostitch Nail gun - fun for the whole family and practical for defense.

Dorian Soran

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

The problem with trying to bring something "back from the future" is the paradox that once you arrive in the past the device you take has not yet been invented.Therefore you'd arrive empty handed.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I personally liked the 1986 penny from that movie with the former superman.

Excellent movie.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
What would I take (items have to be able to fit in a pocket):
1. ipod with solar rechargeable cells.
2. ball point pen
3. my solar powered casio watch
4. my contact lenses

What would you take?

I got to tell you, I first thought the Ipod things was genius, until I realized they had radios back in 1908. They would just assume you somehow shrunk a regular radio. Going from how skeptics react on here, I would also say that they would think it was just a "coincidence" that you played a different song, by choosing a different one.

Ball point pens were patented in 1888. They would laugh at you for thinking this was "futuristic", when it would be 20 years old.

The watch could be said to run by some secret winding mechanism. You'd have to take it apart to "prove" that it was run by solar power.

The laser pointer only SOUNDS like a good idea, because you know exactly what a laser is actually made up of. However, to anyone who has not seen one, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, because all you have done is shine a red beam of light, which they could do with lanterns and red lenses (How do you think the term "red light district" came about?
)

Contact Lenses were first described (the idea) in about 1507. The first pair were made in 1887. And you thought they were a new invention!
(To be honest, SO DID I!) So, another 20 year old invention that you would think was "new".

Think about how FAR you would have to bring technology back, to PROVE you were from the future for our time frame.

The only thing I could think of would be transporters (like in Star Trek), but guess what? They are doing that NOW! They have transported several cesium atoms (if I remember correctly) 6 feet across a room.

Quantum computers? There's a company that claims to sell that exact thing.

I think a laptop computer, with several games, and a solar charger would prove it more than anything. But only because they have never even THOUGHT of something like that.

Think about that for a minute. We've been exposed to such technological leaps, that things like "star drives (aka warp drives/ftl speeds) wouldn't make us go "My God! What are you?", it would be more like "Whoah! Can you take me to Jupiter?"

I'm not talking about the actual inventions here, but the IDEA of the invention. It would have to be so alien, that there's no way we could comprehend how it was done.

Bioengineering and/or cyborgs? Been there, done that. (scientifically speaking. Saw a blind guy drive a mustang around a parking lot once with a prototype "visor" that allowed him to see.)

Clones? Been there, doing that.

Genetic Engineering? Been there, doing that.

Faster than light travel? According to a quote attributed to Werner Von Braun, been there, done that, too expensive at the moment.

(btw, those were all generic for the human race, not me specifically, just so no one is confused.
)

Let's say that you DID bring the next 10 days worth of newspapers. How are the people going to distinguish between you being a time traveler, and you being a prophet? You'd fit both descriptions.

When you sit down, and REALLY think about it, proving you are a time traveler would be much, much more difficult than you think at first.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

What an excellent post, and hey I have learned a few things too ... thanks! But you have grasped my point exactly! To prove you are a time traveler with all the items people have mentioned here is going to prove difficult.

Which brings me back to my original point - why the hype about Titor and such folk with NO concrete evidence? Any believers care to answer?

This may sound like I am bashing certain people, but I am genuinely curious. I watched a show by a guy from the UK the other day where he went to the States and tried to convince 4 major groups to endorse him (simply through slight of hand and various other tricks and things that people have been using over the years to fool people). He convinced people that 1. he had been kidnapped by aliens and was given the gift of being able to diagnose medical problems and history 2) he was struck by lightning and at a touch could make sceptics believe in God 3) that he had paranormal powers and was able to remote view and 4) he was a medium and could speak with the dead.

His only point was we should be very careful when dealing with people claiming to be or be able to do certain things.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Simple....Depends on how far back you are going.

1. A set of Walkie-Talkies ( it needs no plug, network, sat. has it's own freq.)
2. A hand held Camcorder w/ color screen- you could record them and play the video back on the integrated screen.
3. Barret light .50 cal with scope - I don't know shoot through a bldg or something impressive.
4. Flashlight
5. Battery powered Laptop- I would crunch some serious numbers for people in the math/science fields.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Pictures of the place im traveling too
World map
Malibu Coconut Rum
..Condoms...
Updated Science textbook

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'd go back to the biblical times with a cordless drill and 3 2-1/2 inch screws....I'll stop, I'm sure you can all figure out the end result.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
wow I am not religious but I am guessing what you want to do with that cordless drill ... somehow I get the cold shivers. Call me
'higher-power fearing".

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Here´s my ABSOLUTELY USELESS list of things to take:

* Handheld GPS unit
* Portable digital radio
* Credit and ATM cards
* Cellphone
* External HD with 1000s of movies on it
* Some CDs and DVDs
* Decaffeinated coffee
* Tinfoil hat