It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's use of brain scans in courts dismays critics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The new technology is, to its critics, Orwellian. Others view it as a silver bullet against terrorism that could render waterboarding and other harsh interrogation methods obsolete. Some scientists predict the end of lying as we know it.

Now, well before any consensus on the technology's readiness, India has become the first country to convict someone of a crime relying on evidence from this controversial machine: a brain scanner that produces images of the human mind in action and is said to reveal signs that a suspect remembers details of the crime in question.

For years, scientists have peered into the brain and sought to identify deception. They have shot infrared beams through liars' heads, placed them in giant magnetic resonance imaging machines and used scanners to track their eyeballs. Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the United States has plowed money into brain-based lie detection in the hope of producing more fruitful counterterrorism investigations.

More...

Brave new world...

Any bets on how soon before DHS begins to use them?

[edit on 16-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Trust me, they cannot tell from your brain, if you are lying. The people who believe this are dunce. Like minority report who is to say thoughts go into reality and action.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

You think we're above prosecuting thought crimes?

Give it time.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I am example of it. My life was destoyed for thought crimes. Trust me no doctor or scienctist can tell from scans of your brain if your lying. The brain is to complicated.

I know because i live with this stuff. I have been monitored since 1992, and they do this sh*t pretending they can interpeet your intentions.

"THEY CANNOT UNDERSTAND PEOPELS INTENTIONS"

Anyone here that uses this tech, i have two words for you if you think you can interpret peoples thoughts.

"YOUR DUNCE"

Trust me everyone that reads this, they cannot undertsand thoughts and intentions, like i said i have this sh*t since 1992, and they have tried desperately everything, to do this too me.

[edit on 9/16/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I would bet that Tom Clancy would have a very, very difficult time passing one of those "lying" tests. Can you figure out why I would say this?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Are you talking about brain scans or lie detector tests?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I don't really see how this is any different than a high tech polygraph. If you believe you're telling the truth, would the scan read that you are lying?

What's really Orwellian is that people really will start believing that 2+2=5 if this brain scan becomes a commonplace police investigation tool. They will have to in order to be able to stay sane, much like in the book.

top topics

join