It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bear-Proof Suit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
What a crock of sh*t

Who would walk around in the hot woods all day with that thing on just so they can be protected from bears?

Chances are you wont even never see a bear in the wild in your life, much less be attacked by one.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
There once was an episode of "the simpsons" where Homer made a bearproof suit, but he took off, then was attacked by the bear. Has anyone else seen this? I'm talking about the right show correct?

J.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Milton
There once was an episode of "the simpsons" where Homer made a bearproof suit, but he took off, then was attacked by the bear. Has anyone else seen this? I'm talking about the right show correct?

J.

I posted about tha one earlier. It turns out the episode aired they same day i posted it. Freaky. I love the simpsons.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
I don't think that it would be the best way to passify a bear.
how would you feel if you had optimus prime tromping through your neck of the woods to check you out?

Oh, I think just about EVERYTHING evil, be it bear, chupacabra, or even Decepticon, would run at the sight or sound of the mighty Optimus Prime.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I think its time for Optimus Prime to retire. Hasn't he been around for a few million years? Retire and turn the watch over to hmmm
perhaps someone in a Bear-proof Suit.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This is so funny. I read the link from the beginning and it gives all of the specs of the suit. Down near the bottom it lists what tests were done to the suit as follows:

Testing On Suit:

1. Truck: 18 collisions with a three-tonne truck travelling at 50 kilometres an hour (30 m.p.h)
2. Rifle: Shot at with 12 gauge shotgun, using "Sabot" slugs
3. Arrows: Armour-piercing arrows, fired from 45 kilogram (100 lb.) bow
4. Tree Trunk: Two collisions with a 136 kilgram (300 lb.) tree from a height of 9 metres (30 ft.)
5. Bikers: Assault by three bikers -- the largest, 2.05 metres (6 ft. 9 in.) tall, weighing 175 kilograms (385 lbs.). Biker armaments: splitting ax, planks, baseball bat.
6. Escarpment: Jumped off escarpment, falling over 15.25 metres (over 150 ft.).

How funny. Dontcha think that they should have given ones of these to a bear. None of the things they did simulated what a bite from a grizzly would do to that suit. What a numbskull

[Edited on 3-25-2004 by nyarlathotep]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Testing on the suit
6. Escarpment: Jumped off escarpment, falling over 15.25 metres (over 150 ft.).

I can see the suit surviving that fall, but someone inside with out injuries
yeah right

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   

What would these paws do to a bear suit? LOL... Oh yeah, this bear paws were 11 feet wide- his head the size of a beer keg.

The whole story is here

www.adn.com...

The paws are the size of a mans chest- This was a big brown killed past year here in Alaska-

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by Journey]

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Journey

What would these paws do to a bear suit? LOL... Oh yeah, this bear paws were 11 feet wide- his head the size of a beer keg.

The whole story is here

www.adn.com...

The paws are the size of a mans chest- This was a big brown killed past year here in Alaska-

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by Journey]

If I was wearing the suit, and saw a bear that big, they'd have to get me a new suit.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
There's only one way to test that...... you gotta get attacked by a freakin bear, and if it didn't work... you'd be sunk.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Yeah that guy is pretty funny...He is on real TV everyonce in a while and on Discovery channel.

The only reason he has not yet faced a grizzly is because the suit has na manuverability.

What a wimp!

Some bear attack tips
If a Bear Attacks:

- If it approaches slowly experts suggest two differing ploys. Try either or both:

- Talk softly, back away from the critter, don't make eye contact, don't threaten it in any way and it may lose interest. If not:

- Be aggressive, make a noise, wave your hands.

- If it does run at you and is up on its hind legs making unpleasant noises including puffing, teeth chomping, and snarling then here are your options:

Run to safety* - if you are absolutely sure that you can reach it in time before the creature. These animals can travel at the speed of a top sprinter.

*Trees are not a good refuge. Black bears climb them all day long and so do young brown bears. Older grizzlies are proficient tree shakers. Polar bears live in the Arctic Circle where trees are thin on the ice.
Water is equally useless. Brown and Polar bears love water, are excellent swimmers and will not get hypothermia or drown as a result of taking a cold dip, unlike you. Try your car.

- Roll up in a ball, protect vital organs and pretend to be dead. Bears who do not want to eat you may roll around on you for a bit, or just go away. If the bear is not showing anger - just hunger - this may not be a good choice!

- Spray pepper in its face. Just like humans, a painful spray in the eyes, works wonders against a bear 75% of the time. However their tolerance for pain may be such, that after just a few seconds they shrug it off and attack once more, even angrier, though more cautious.
Extra potent long range bear deterrents are now available.

- Fight back. It's probably not worth trying this option with a Polar or Grizzly in your face unless you have some kind of weapon, but a black bear may be put off his food by efficient ultra-violence.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Lets just forget the bear-proof suit and put this thing on, you could at least have a good chance of running from a bear

www.springwalker.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join