It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Researcher Unveils Warcraft Terror Plot

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Yep. Pretty much how you just described it!

"Yeah, that bit about them 'flight training' on flying mounts was priceless!"

lol

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
newxt up on warcraftmovies

Al-Qeada does hogger

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

LMAO Lvl 1 40-man Al-Qaeda raid on Hogger. That made me spit my coffee out hehe.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I like how the WoW free trial ad was on the side while I was reading this thread

But really, there are far safer and more secure ways for terrorists to be communicating and planning. I think this is just paranoia.
On second thought... With all the millions or however many players are on WoW on a daily basis, I'd imagine it'd be ridiculously time-consuming to go through all the chat logs and whatever looking for evidence. Hmmm...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
You can't just turn your back on the world... of warcraft...

sorry couldn't resist

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForestSanctuary
With all the millions or however many players are on WoW on a daily basis, I'd imagine it'd be ridiculously time-consuming to go through all the chat logs and whatever looking for evidence. Hmmm...

Remember, though. All those people are broken down into servers of about 20,000 subscribers per server

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Brilliant, once we've deployed the device the Orcs will raid the financial district while our Troll Shamans enact protection wards around our...

You know what, this topic isn't worth a sardonic response.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by chimpy38

Well this definitely means they're going to "counter-measures" They obviously find millions of people logging on to play a game as a very tempting platform for some kind of government experimentation or data collection. This concern they are pretending to have, is designed to force Blizzard (game developers) into allowing the government access of some form to the communication which happens within the game.

It's obvious to me that there cannot be any real concern about WoW being a platform for terrorists to meet each other. Are they aware how many MMOs there are on the internet! there is hundreds if not thousands of them. And lets not even get started on chatrooms or forums.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Why WoW? Possibly because it's widely known yet not really understood by a majority of people. The common observations I suspect are 1) It's a game 2) It's fantasy based and 3) It appears addictive. Relatively harmless on all counts, in my estimation, but it reminds me of the "Devil Worship via AD&D" phenom of the 80's. This type of propaganda serves only one purpose, intentional or not in my view, to further alienate those that don't "fit the model" and to disseminate fear and suspicion, making isolation easier.

But stupidity is just as fitting an explanation.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

so they can start logging wow convos in echelon???

God I hate our #ing government.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSurrender
so they can start logging wow convos in echelon???

If they aren't already

I'm just saying things of this nature just give people more reason to be suspicious of each other. Whether that was the intention, I have no idea.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I caught something on CSPAN yesterday on this ... it seems it was being aired to help substantiate the use of the Patriot Act. Some of it was to give warning to online bloggers.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Ahh, sure. Let's bring up the imagined WoW terrorist plot coincidentally right after the terrorist DVDs were planted in our newspapers.

And the propaganda race to the White House continues.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
we're not even safe in WoW..

who's gonna save us now?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This could be the end of the world...................................

of warcraft....

[edit on 16-9-2008 by b4christ15]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hmmm... being an ex hardcore player of WoW, I would expect the median of communication to be Teamspeak or Ventrilo instead of text as most raiders utilize one of these voice over data programs.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
OK so to put this plot together we need a Mage with a plus 2 wand of death, two rangers and a barbarian.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You know, it could be a new angle for the government to really get their hands onto the internet. By saying that you could be playing with a terrorist and therefore, since terrorists like video games, the US will have to put up watchdogs. It could spread like wildfire, especially if no once says anything because it sounds so ludicrous. Think about all the young people and their ideas that are never heard. Truthfully you could spread propaganda to any youths who, would most likely be, at an impressionable age. It does sound stupid, but just think of what they could control. Every network server for online game play recording everything, and best of all recording IP's to get identities. You could track anyone. To tell you the truth it is kinda scary. What's next, the government looking at what books anyone is reading and then watching them. Heck even enforcing game companies to put certain trackers into games that would be dependent on gameplay. I often wonder about XBOX live and if there is anyone recording activities for "national security". It just sounds too fishy to me.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I can't see this being feasible, a terrorist group using their WoW characters to plan an attack. First of all, the only ones engaging in terrorism in the USA (doing bad things and blaming muslims) are always brain washed idiots, and likely a mind control Vatican/CIA/NSA puppet, who would be incapable of operating a computer, let alone use a massively multiplayer online game to coordinate some sort of attack on a structure, person, etc.

And as someone said, why would terrorists discuss their plots in a video game where everything is recorded, when they could just send email using an unbreakable encrypion algorithm like PGP, which I believe is a free download from their website. Wake up people. If there is a terrorism attack against the USA, the government will have known about it, allowed it to happen, or have been directly involved in its execution.

Its funny to see the government working so hard to keep everyone safe from the "bad guys", when ironically is their lack of leadership and genuine care for the people whom they treat as biological production units. They are the true creators of this illusionary boogeyman we call terrorism.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jmilla

I'd imagine if Al Queda did play WoW, it would be on a PvP server as lvl 70 rogues ganking people on the isles.

Just imagine the carnage - no one would be able to finish their quests. Their true plot has been unveiled, and to think we thought they couldn't attack us any other way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join