It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH and KY in State of Emergency with Absolutely NO MSM Coverage!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
my mom lives in western kentucky, she says she has never seen anything like this and she is 70 years old.

She says there are trees down everywhere and she is still without power... somewhere she got the information that there were 92 telephones down in her area.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Short update from Louisville. Schools were canceled in Jefferson Co until Monday. My sister's friend is still without power, although the apartments across the street JUST came back on today. My friend across town HAD power, but yesterday, hers went out, she says from someone digging (maybe trying to repair? who knows).

There was a death due to generator being inside these poor persons home. www.volunteertv.com...

And, my place of employment is still out of power, thus leaving me without a paycheck for this week. I hope they can get this mess straightened out soon.

But thank GOODNESS we have all the Ryder Cup footage to remind us that not everyone is suffering from this freak of mother nature storm!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Update: We just TODAY got the power back at my office....around 4pm EST...Duke Energy is running radio spots, thanking everyone for their "patience" etc and how they still have 500,000 without power throughout the region, but that hey look on the bright side, they have restored the power to more then half the population....I don't know if it was an old commercial from
a few days ago or what...

Interestingly enough, I was listening to talk radio today, they said that Duke Energy was holding meetings about a rate hike increase

Anyone know the numbers on Houston and Galveston with this storm? I still haven't heard firm numbers since the MSM fled when there weren't enough deaths or looting or "Bush" screwing it up....thanks!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hi Late. I thought I'd post an article off of the AP today, here's a couple of snipits from that article....

CINCINNATI - Facing a fifth day without power, the residents of a senior housing community in western Ohio took to the street with foam signs to protest the failure of Dayton Power and Light Co. to restore electricity.

Friday's protest seemed to get a reaction. Within three hours of residents heading to the curb with their placards, crews were working to restore power.

The protest was one of many indications that frustration continues to grow as utility crews work to restore electricity to the remaining 330,000 homes and businesses left in the dark since the remains of Hurricane Ike blew through Ohio on Sunday.

Full AP article

They just keep plugging away, but those poor seniors. It should have NEVER taken that long for them to get their power back as they should have been considered priority.

Rush

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I went out and took a few pictures, the batteries were low thus only a few. Also, FINALLY got to go back to work this morning. I have never been so glad to be woken up in my life! Unfortunately, even now a week and 2 days after this bizarre storm, some people still are without power. The wasted food is one of the biggest shames. I had my say about the Ryder Cup/Valhalla in my first post, however this evening my coworker mentioned this story to me.

www.wave3.com...

"With thousands of visitors, organizers had to have more than enough food on hand to feed such an army. Once the event was over, another army had no idea it would become the lucky recipient of what was left.

"We feed 400 people a day and I wasn't sure how we were going to make that happen Monday, and then we got this call," said Theodore Dues, executive director of the Salvation Army Center of Hope.

The call Dues was talking about was from Levy Restaurants, the caterer for the Ryder Cup. Several loads of food were available and ready to go. The boxes of fresh fruit, meats and vegetables were headed to the Salvation Army center on South Brook Street.

"It's going to more than replenish all the food that was lost," Dues told WAVE 3.

The Salvation Army had to throw out all its food last week when the power went out. Between their homeless population and needy families who also lost their food, there was still some 17,000 people to feed. They managed it with local donations, but Monday the cupboards and freezer were bare again."

I have nothing but highest praise for this decision, and it has made me even more proud of my city. I also found out from my coworker (I work in a snack shop cooking for golfers) that the Ryder Cup location was chosen four years ago, so there was no way to reschedule it. With the new perspectives( from a golfers pov) I am now less ignorant about the situation, and understand this better.

Now a couple of pictures. These were taken around the St. Matthew's area:

All from a storm that here in Louisville, produced NO RAIN.

I still would LOVE a weatherman's explanation for how this happened.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
It has truly been a trip. I think a cold front hit at just the right time for maximum damage. And damage it has been. I will never forget those winds. Trees ripped out by the roots. And no, it hasn't made major MSM.

With all the data available that was only a cat1. With 75 mph gusts. I couldn't imagine trying to ride out the storm in Galveston.

[edit on 9/23/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Hey, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer a few years back, everything west of Delhi is Indian Land, the lands of the Shawnee, Arapaho, etc. Been thru this before with the '74 F5 tornado. Was kind nice not to have that damn TV. Bucketed water out of the cistern, heated it on a fire for kid's bath. Learned to get used to cold water hair washes. Cooked the perishables on the grill as to not waste them, then went to non-perishables. Powdered milk ain't bad coffee creamer, and the camp fire percolator made some kick-ass joe. Pulled a five-gallon bucket of water up to flush the john. Saw the stars as not seen for years without all the light polution. Hoped the people on municipal water's pumps didn't go out in the city or they'd be screwed and not know what to do. Counted the deer, wild turkeys (big!) rabbits and squirrels, all good populations. Yes, Bocephus, country boys do survive and cull their skills for the next incident. Found an old 1870's ice-making device that uses and old pitcher pump for vacuum pulling water vapor out of a bottle over calcium chloride (winter Hot Salt) to freeze the water in the bottle without electricity. Gonna put it together and try it out, if it works as it says, put it in storage for next time.

Took the electric company a while, but I'm not surprised. You know what Boss Hogg used to say about them Duke boys!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

This morning DP&L here in Dayton still had 28k people without power.

We went 5 days with no power or water at my house, some people I work with are still sitting in the dark..

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well, MSM must not be much in the way of a news organization then, because every other news outlet mentioned this damage and the deaths.

But on the scale, the damage in those two states was so minor when compared to Texas, that it really doesn't matter all that much on a national scale. It is a LOCAL problem, to a large degree.

And I live in Kentucky, by the way.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I suppose that the lesson is...why would anyone depend on MSN for news? Only a half dozen people would even know about what was said even had they broadcast the information.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickinVa
my mom lives in western kentucky, she says she has never seen anything like this and she is 70 years old.
She says there are trees down everywhere and she is still without power... somewhere she got the information that there were 92 telephones down in her area.

Tell her that her memory is working just fine. You might not want to tell he about what is probably causing all this thought.

I think Scott Stevens called this one quite well and certainly better so than either the MSM or the MET departments...

It is this” RELATIVELY LITTLE TRANSPORT OF WINDS ALOFT DOWN TO THE SURFACE.”

This has my attention. It is this lack of transport… this phenomena of Ike
greatly concerns me. In a typical hurricane wind profile the greatest wind speeds are just off the surface and contained within, or very near, the
eye-wall of the storm. Ike’s winds are simply more expansive in both the vertical and horizontal. Ike is sporting a massive wind field that means hurricane force winds will impact the coastline over an area at
least 130 miles to the east of where the eye eventually makes landfall.

As a greater percentage of the momentum of this hurricane is ‘aloft’ and not at the surface, Ike WILL NOT SPIN DOWN as quickly as would a typical non- manipulated storm. This means that the downward transport of this energy will continue long after the hurricane makes landfall. Without surface friction below the boundary layer, there is little reason for
the hurricane winds aloft to spin down as quickly as we have come to expect from past examples. The net result will be hurricane damage much, much farther inland than anyone is expecting. I can easily see weeks without power and utilities over a huge chunk of territory just to the right of the eye and for a great distance (compared to usual) inland. Look at

Haiti now for what Houston and environes will

present us in 5-days.

weatherwars.info...

Either way his either bloq comes highly recomended to those are in the firing line on the US east coast.

Stellar

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
accident. wrong thread. didn't mean to bump. so sorry.
edit on 7/2/2012 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Northern Kentucky here, just outside of Cincinnati.
Amazingly, we have power and only suffered a few minutes that we were without it. Even though, many businesses and the local Kroger round the corner is without power. It was truly frightening and the length of time the storm/wind lasted. This coupled with 90 degree weather and full sunshine while we got battered! Strange.
Shingles were lifting up and flying through the neighborhood, luckily no damage here apart from a neighbors tree had several limbs deposited in our yard! We were lucky.
I heard that in the big hurricane that hit the coast in the same area in 1900, it resulted in the same weather up here too.
No school here today for my son, going to try going out in a few to track down some milk!
Take care everyone.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join