It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH and KY in State of Emergency with Absolutely NO MSM Coverage!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mav3rick

I don't know about Columbus, but in Cincinnati, there were too many downed power lines, fires and looting prevention going on for the cops to do anything about the record number of traffic lights not working, except at the busiest and most dangerous intersections.

Plus the usual number of shootings, those never stopped

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
As people begin to regain power more reports like these shared so far will continue to flood in I suspect.

My main concern is not for those that are in the upper middle class that can simply call their insurance agent, and use a credit card or their bank reserves to resupply when its over, I am worried more about the lower classes and their inability to refurnish their food supplies that are rotting right now and they have not a dime to go buy ice to keep it cold.

The majority of people today live from month to month or check to check and they are doing as much as humanly possible to remain responsible with their budget to stay afloat.

Even the most seemingly insignificant event such as loosing power and the ability to earn a living during a catastrophe like this (and yes it is a catastrophe, the whole darn thing is a travesty of preparedness and effectual management on behalf of our supposed highly technological age where with just a little more money spent on preparedness and safety issues and more importantly information and live satellite images and MSM coverage for the G.P. would make all the difference in the world for people to be more able make it through successfully) can affect us for years to come, I have still not fully recovered from the Ice storms and subsequent power outages in subzero freezing temps in 2006. I am however still trying to catch up to the rise in the costs of everything since that time.

I was not out to make issue with anyone from my previous posts just freaked out about the direction that this is headed, this is just the proverbial tip of the ice berg as we move into a very unstable future for humanity as a whole.

And hurrah for the good ole boys that can shoot themselves up some grub, they are the least of my concerns...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Yes, it is very interesting indeed. We were hit pretty hard in NW Ohio as well. Trees down in virtually every yard and power outages everywhere. For a while we were baracaded into our own driveway. The harsh weather is new to us since we are from Seattle but the past couple days were beyond anything we have yet to experience. It was almost as bad as the inauguartion day storm in the Pacific Northwest 16 years ago.

Yet not a whisper. Nice.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm from Ohio and so yesterday, when I heard the state mentioned, I listened up. They said there were 250,000 without power at that time. That was MSNBC. I heard it several times throughout the day.

It could be that Ike itself (on the coast) and the financial meltdown took over most of the day's news coverage.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Parts of southern Indiana are in a state of emergency as well. There is a tree laying on my neighbors house, can't really tell if the house is damaged or how badly since it is still there, and I have one laying on my porch. Lucked out and it didn't cause much damage, but still a scary thing to happen. We did get lucky and get our power back within a day, but I have friends and family that are still without power and most likely won't have it for at least a week. I had to drive through the wind to get to my kids since they weren't at home with me when it hit. The tree fell on my porch not long after I decided to take the dog with me in case a tree fell on the house and left. Had a bit of a premonition there I think.

I haven't read the entire thread yet so I'm not sure if Indiana has been mentioned, just wanted to make sure it was. My apologies if so. Going to go finish reading the thread now!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the tree on my neighbor's house was a full grown living tree, was at least 50 years old, and was completely uprooted before falling on their house.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Jenna]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Jenna,
I used to live in Lawrenceburg, do you know if they were hit hard?
BP

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I live in Louisville, KY. I was without power for 2 days. I couldn't sleep at night without ATS

It's not too bad in my area. A big tree fell on the fence in the back of my apt. My window was broken. Shingles everywhere. But that's pretty much it in my area.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well if they meant in all of Ohio they are wrong as usual, it's more then that here in Cincinnati alone...as of noon today there was still 518,000 here without power, let alone elsewhere in the state. Typical, but at least we got a mention, 2 days after the fact

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

A few of my family members drove through when it was being hit on their way back from a Renaissance festival in Ohio. They said that there wasn't any power there at all and that the trees were coming down when they went through. I'm not sure how much damage there was there. But I'd imagine it was probably much the same as here, power lines down everywhere, trees in and on people's houses, no power.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I spent yesterday at home on the computer catching up on work. I had the news going for noise all day. They mentioned what was happening in all area's many times throughout the day. Both CNN and Fox were reporting it. They even mentioned it on our local news. I don't see any evidence of a blackout???

Best wishes to everyone hit by this. I hope the recovery goes quickly for you. You are all in my prayers.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

That's funny because I too, was home all day, with a television 2 feet to my right as I sit here LOL...and I had it on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, Court TV and checked their web sites as well, and Fox had something on the front page last night but it was after midnight and watched and DVR'd the national news and only saw Galveston and Houston mentioned. I was off of work, as I am today, due to no power at work
And I was specifically monitoring it all, looking for any scrap...because as I have seen even in this thread, people I chat with on the internet that only live a few hours from me, hadn't even heard one thing about it in their local news OR the national news, and I had others here in Cincinnati commenting that it wasn't anywhere to be seen in the news they were watching and reading.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hi all. I live in Columbus and as of yesterday am there were 253,000 without power in Franklin Co,Oh (Columbus). My power went out at 4 pm Sunday and came on this am at about noon. According to the news there are still 150,000 without power in Franklin Co still. Thank God mine came back on. I was going a little crazy. No stores open, no gas could be pumped etc. These numbers don't count the surrounding counties either, I am very thankful for the help that was sent. We sent people to TX to help with Ike then we got it. It was an incredible storm. The news just said 2,000,000 in Ohio still have no power. The Columbus Dispatch this am had a headline that said "Got Power? If not it may take 6 days to get it back." I almost cried. I also figured out that I have to be better prepared in the future. We had all we needed, but my husband lost 14 bottles of insulin due to no refrigeration and the ins co says it's not their fault and will not replace it. Oh well We survived. Live and learn. But I must admit I am far more addicted to modern life than I thought I was. Need to reassess.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I've got three uncles that all live in Southeastern Ohio and they missed the rain and wind. As far as I know they missed the rain and the wind by only sixty miles or so. Where I live at here in West Virginia, i'm not even fifty miles from where they are at. I also have an lives down in western Kentucky about thirty to thirty-five miles from Bowling Green. Far as I know, he did see the rain and wind. He hasn't called us yet but the power may be out down that way.

How we missed the remnants of Ike here in West Virginia is probably due to where we are on the map.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In southern Michigan we had at least one tornado spawn from Ike remnants. Lots of rain and some flooding. The tornado hit about 30 miles south of where I am, but in my direct location we only had strong winds and 3 days straight of heavy rain.

It is essential for people to be more prepared for loss of power and less dependent on electricity and other services. Get a camp stove and several small bottles of propane to cook with. Stock up on non-perishable or freeze dried foods that you only need to add water and heat. It can be a hassle but one can survive indefinitely without power if you are prepared. I know it isn't easy for everyone to prepare like this, it takes a certain amount of disposable income (which I don't even have anymore lol, I am currently unemployed for the first time ever and have been living on what I have in savings for the past few weeks, which will run out by October! Temp agency here I come if I don't hear back from these companies I interviewed with.)

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I am surprised by the amount of people from Ohio on this board. We could almost put on our own convention.

I live on the north side of Columbus on the Ohio State campus. It was crazy. My window got knocked out (top floor) and my room was like a wind tunnel for hours. It was filled with leaves and branches. My power luckily stayed on but there were like 500k people without power in Columbus(whoever had AEP, I get my power from the city).

I actually had fun. My friends and I took a long walk to the only store that was open and got some beers. We drank as we walked and met hundreds of people in our neighborhood.

Another funny moment was when yesterday we turned on all of our lights and blasted a stereo when all of our neighbors didn't have power. It was kind of like LINK

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Yes and these are just the ones WITH power

Hopefully soon everyone will have power though...so you're at Ohio State huh? I had some good times there on High Street back in the day...I didn't go there, but on our way up to Halloween at OU we'd stop and pick up a few friends at OSU and head to the real party

I forget the name of the freshman dorm skyscraper there but ahhh...good times
Ok back on topic....that's great you didn't loose power...study hard and stay out of jail

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I forget the name of the freshman dorm skyscraper there but ahhh...good times Ok back on topic....that's great you didn't loose power...study hard and stay out of jail

Morril or Lincoln Tower. I have had some good times there.

High Street is the slam, it is out of power still, though. OU Halloween is where its at.

On campus, Buckeye donuts is out of power and closed. It never closes. If you know what I am talking about, then you know that's a big deal.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
Hi all. I live in Columbus and as of yesterday am there were 253,000 without power in Franklin Co,Oh (Columbus). My power went out at 4 pm Sunday and came on this am at about noon. The news just said 2,000,000 in Ohio still have no power. also figured out that I have to be better prepared in the future. We had all we needed, but my husband lost 14 bottles of insulin due to no refrigeration and the ins co says it's not their fault and will not replace it. Oh well We survived. Live and learn. But I must admit I am far more addicted to modern life than I thought I was. Need to reassess.

This was a very big wake up call for sure and it has been systematically making its rounds all through out the country for the past 2 years. No matter how well supplied or prepared you are it is never enough, at least sheltering in place one has a chance, yet if what most of us can learn from the many catastrophes and weather related events has taught us anything it is to never depend on any services to help when you need it most.

I am not by any stretch making light of the endless heroism and charitable aid of the American people and the world network but it just in its self is never enough.

The biggest problem I have is with the desensitization people are showing unless it directly affects them.

I am very glad that you and your family are doing Ok.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
All I want to say is thank you SO much for posting this.

I have family in Columbus and I had not heard of this. I haven't been able to get ahold of them in a few days. I am on the other side of the country, but I read the news, I watch the news every day and I had heard none of this.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by philosopherrose

Well, now you know, their electricity is probably out
I hope you are able to get through to them soon and that everything is fine, I am sure it is and you're welcome! So you had no idea either about the remnants of Ike? Shakes head, pathetic. Well good thing you are on ATS

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join