It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH and KY in State of Emergency with Absolutely NO MSM Coverage!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is just mindblowing! Why will the msm not cover the widespread damage? They are all chimming in in positive and happy uptones about the hurricane areas in Texas as well, I cannot stand this.

They are treating this like our dirty little secret. They do not want the world to know just how bad this has affected us but why?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I would harldy call it a state of emergency. Heavy damage yes. That was one crazy ride. The winds were ripping. Many trees down. Power outages. Home and vehicle damage.

Nothing like what Galveston took though.

I was lying on the couch by the window in my bvd's because it was so tropical. Yes, I'm sure my neighbors just love me.

The winds were incredible.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Back from my little adventure out. No milk to be found in approx 5 mile radius from here ( Northern KY, just outside Cincinnati).
Our local Krogers has now got power... but all the cold areas and freezers are completly bare!
Amazing how many traffic lights at main intersections are still not working.
Going to be a while before things are anything like back to normal.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
We're in the same boat here in Western Pennsylvania. My house lost power sunday night at around 8:30pm and we're being told it won't be back on until friday at 6pm. Needless to say, we have a lot of food slowly rotting in our fridge and two freezers. To make matters worse, none of the gas stations have power either so I'm going to have to drive around tonight and look for somewhere to get gas as I'm down at 1/4 tank.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I do agree that there is no need to have a state of emergency in Ohio.
It just shows us all to be prepared for anything in any state and it gives a little taste of reality and not just what the media shows or tells us.

-Thanks
-Aaron

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
We're in the same boat here in Western Pennsylvania. My house lost power sunday night at around 8:30pm and we're being told it won't be back on until friday at 6pm. Needless to say, we have a lot of food slowly rotting in our fridge and two freezers. To make matters worse, none of the gas stations have power either so I'm going to have to drive around tonight and look for somewhere to get gas as I'm down at 1/4 tank.

Yeah, we lost all of our food. I went out the next day to get some fast food and every restaurant had a 25+ car line in the drive thru. I've never seen anything like it.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Cincinnati Oh - Roughly 3 hours away from where I live.

Columbus Oh - Roughly 2.5 hours away from where I live.

Yet there isn't anything on the local news that I've seen so far? What in the world is going on...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Sorry to have to say this if no one else has.

The midwest seems to be generally populated with people who can and will take care of themselves when necessary, instead of just sitting and whining about when is the government going to come and take care of them.

So, there's no real news story in that.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Yea.. I spent the day cleaning up branches and tree limbs yesterday and everywhere you went there were huge branches on the ground. My cousin saw a tree uprooted near Delaware. But yea, we're almost at 48 hours without power now (posting at my girlfriend's house) and I heard on the news last night that my houses will be some of the last houses turned on.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I am sure the only reason the governors of both states declared a "State of Emergency" is to be able to receive federal funds, if needed.

That's the reason Mallory our Mayor here in Cincinnati gave for the reason he called a city-wide state of emergency, but that was back when 1 million people here were without power including all the hospitals here in the Cincinnati area and assisted living centers, nursing homes, all the people with medical conditions in private residences... 900,000 + people in one large metropolitan area without electricity is to me, enough to declare a state of emergency, coupled with downed live power lines on virtually every street, according to Duke Energy 2 out of every 3 streets had live power lines down. Not to mention the fires that were raging all over the city Sunday night, and people getting killed or injured due to trees falling down on their houses....I think it's just a TAD newsworthy myself, if not tragic enough to call a state of emergency (ahem jpm
)

I am certainly not saying that it should take away from the devastation of the Texas and Louisiana coasts, but surely it should have been used to UPDATE the country about the continued devastation of tropical depression Ike. But then that would mean that there is responsible follow-up reporting going on anywhere in this country, and most of us here on ATS know, there isn't even BARE minimum reporting going on anywhere these days, and this just proves it IMO.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Sorry to have to say this if no one else has.

The midwest seems to be generally populated with people who can and will take care of themselves when necessary, instead of just sitting and whining about when is the government going to come and take care of them.

So, there's no real news story in that.

Iam sorry you had to say that too because for every person who is as prepared as they can be there will be hundreds or even thousands that trust far too much to feed their children or diaper a baby in a extreem emergency like this.
Remember that we are in a market decline, the food prices are over the top and most people ran out of credit before the last shame of a Presidential election took place.
You my friend and your comment is exactly what this is all about, desensitizing the the G.P. and the world to problems unless they directly affect you personally!
Now go drive down to your local gas station, get a big 44ozer and a galllon of milk, bag of ice and fill up your tank, then come back home kick up the ac as high as you can and go ...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Right on my friend and if people think that their electric bills will reflect the time out, think again it always causes surges before and after that raise that bill up sky high and there is no compensation and all the complaints fall on deaf ears.

Furthermore you can count on your bills going up by at least 23-24% very soon. Mark my word on this one.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

You assume too much - especially that you know anything about me.

I lived in Ohio and still have close relatives there.

I lived in Iowa (where they had severe flooding that no one really paid attention to) and still have close friends there.

None of these people will whine or wait for government handouts. They will just get to work and take care of themselves.

I've also been to New Orleans and the Texas Gulf coast, several times. And sadly, saw plenty of people that live even in the best of times off government handouts.

I don't presume to know what your personal experiences related to these disasters are, but I do know what you can do with your personal insults.

[edit on 9/16/2008 by centurion1211]

link   
Looks like HAARP is working perfectly!!

link   
There are lots of videos posted on youtube. Most would probably think its funny, because its just wind. We just aren't used to this kind of thing here!

reply to post by centurion1211

I agree 100%. Self reliance and personal responsibility are definitely corner stones of Ohio culture.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well, this explains a few things....

My (ex) company (I just was forced to quit today) sent out a message yesterday covering which fuel stops were to be avoided and why, and it included more from OH and KY than from TX. Most were due to power outage, but some because they were out of diesel until "further notice".

A friend of mine was in Indianapolis when the weather hit, and he saw a line come down across the road in front of the Celadon main terminal. He said it was shooting fire everywhere and had it been a few yards closer, he couldn't have gotten into or out of the terminal. He also said the winds and rain were incredible.

My sincere hopes that things get back to normal as quickly as possible. The Southeast seems to have been spared the disaster that apparently happened, but even here the winds are high enough to make driving a high-profile vehicle hazardous.

I have never heard of a hurricane maintaining that much power that long over land... what in the name of Robert E. Lee is going on here?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Probably havn't heard much on the news about ohio or carolina because Texas got absolutely hammered toa pulp, sorry but 8 people and a massive power outage is dwarfed by the tens of millions in Texas that lost EVERYTHING

not saying that you don't deserve help or news coverage, but honestly Texas in combination with the banking collapse that happened yesterday/over the weekend are way more important to the media at the moment

I mean, the biggest financial collapse + the biggest hurricane to tear Texas apart piece by piece is pretty huge stuff, its not surprising Power Outages are not being covered unless its Local news

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm in Louisville, Ky. We were hit pretty hard, I happened to be out driving when Ike hit us as a category 1. Transformers were blowing on the power lines left and right on the main stretch of highway through the city, I had to pull in a meijers to get out of the wind. Weather men said it would be nothing to worry about.... shows how much they know.

237,000 homes without power, 6000 downed power lines. Uprooted/ downed trees blocking streets all over. Many gas stations without power and the ones with power are running out of gas, quick. Had to drive outside the city to fill up today.. City looks like a bad scene out of Resident Evil minus the zombies 3 days later still. Kinda wierd how the East end(rich) all have power where as the rest do not.

Glad I bought that gas powered generator a few months ago, I'm the only one withint a 5 mile radius of my house with electricity...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Reporting in from Columbus here. I just got my power back on. Frankly I didn't think it was that big of a deal. It actually made me think about how reliant I am on electricity and how technology has taken too much of a precedence in my life.

It was actually quite enjoyable to sit around in the dark with candles and bull# with friends and family.

The thing that surprised me was that there were NO cops at any of the intersections without stoplights. I would have thought there would be at least a traffic cop in major intersections. It seemed to me that almost half of the traffic lights in Columbus were out. It was like giving everyone a big slab of concrete to drive around on and say "hey try not to hit anyone".

I almost saw an escalade T-Bone 3 cars going through a 4 way stop and there were like 6 cop cars in a blacked out gas station parking lot. Shouldn't they have been doing something?

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Mav3rick]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join