It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH and KY in State of Emergency with Absolutely NO MSM Coverage!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Update on where we stand Day 3 of Hurricane Ike Wreaking Havoc in Ohio and Kentucky:

Ohio Governor To Tour Cincinnati Area Storm Damage

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland is coming to Cincinnati Tuesday to meet with Emergency Management Agency officials and tour areas damaged by Sunday's windstorm.

The Governor will be briefed by local officials at Noon at the EMA Command Center in East Price Hill.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.wcpo.com...

Palin Cancels Trip To Tri-State Amid Emergency

Some Indian Hills residents will not get the chance to meet and greet with Sarah Palin.

The Republican Vice Presidential candidate has cancelled her trip to the Tri-State.

Palin was expected to appear at a fundraising luncheon in Indian Hill.

www.wcpo.com...

Extra Duke Crews Here To Restore Power

More than half a million Tri-state homes and businesses remain without electricity, more than 36 hours after a massive windstorm that ripped down trees and power lines. The good news is this... hundreds of extra Duke crews arrived from the Carolinas overnight and are now working in local neighborhoods.

As it stands at 8:45 a.m., 509,000 Duke customers in the Tri-State are without power. The Southeastern Electric Cooperative for Indiana says it has 16,000 customers in the dark. 7,000 Owen Electric customers don't have power.

More Duke crews are expected to arrive from the Gulf Coast of Texas this afternoon to help out.

www.local12.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This exact same thing happened in Baton Rouge, LA and much of south Louisiana after Gustav hit. 80% of the city was without power for days. My own family only got power back on Thursday of last week. Over ten days without! This is how it will be in Texas as well.

The days of the MSM covering wide-scale human suffering in the U.S. are over. The psychic impact on the voting populace is too volatile for the PTB. The Republicans lost the Congress in 2006, a year after Katrina, in part because of the perceived failures of FEMA and the Bush Administration.

I'm not trying to be political but perception is reality in politics.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

WOW holy cow 30,000 pounds of dry ice?? Well good job to your business, I am just so glad that it's not 93 degrees here like it was a few days before IKE came through or there would have been some really desperate people out there!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Hiyah neighbor!

Yeah I can't believe what it's like and yes I drove around a little yesterday but got urged by several policeman who were guarding a downed power line to stay off the roads if I didn't have to be out, so I cut my drive short.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Hi kosmic,

Sorry to hear about Gustav wreaking so much havoc where you are. And, about politicizing this issue, the MSM is largely slanted to the left, so the only way we'd here about the millions of folks suffering in Ohio, Kentucky, Louisiana and Indiana is if FEMA and the local governments were NOT getting the job done. Then it would be splashed all over CNN and MSNBC and on Good Morning America.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

You better believe it.

And that figure is just for our Louisville location! We've got a distributor in Napoleon, OH that's moving it pretty well too.

I also got word from our guy in Louisville that power could be down for 10-14 days.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I live in Columbus Ohio and I have to say we have it easy despite not having power for a couple days. It is not the end of the world. Most people I talk to are complaining because they can't tape their favorite TV shows. It hasn't been life or death.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Awesome Dronetek, I can't wait to see your footage. Post it when you get the chance! There's some amazing footage on the local news sites but I myself didn't get any footage. The Bengal's game was called "the wind bowl" not that many people watched it I am sure
But I saw it right before the power went out, and it showed the beginnings of hurricane Ike rolling through!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Yes that wind Sunday night was pretty wild. I live north of Akron, OH and we lost power for a few hours, but others will be out for days. It sounds like southern Ohio was hit harder.

I did see a report on CNN about the Ohio Valley experiencing high winds from Ike. I think the high winds were because we had a high pressure front coming through from the North, and hurricane Ike was a low pressure zone coming in from the South and it created the high winds in between them.

My house didn't have any damage, but there were a couple of moments I thought for sure my neighbors trees were going to come down on it. I have a lot of debris to clean up yet.

Hope everyone gets their power back on soon.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hey LA! I hope you all are having a better day.

I just wanted to update from Indiana. I'm in central Indy and while we had 60 mi. wind gusts and lots of tress down, we were really quite lucky. However, more wind damage was in the southern part of the state while the very northern part of the state got the rain and flooding. There are still tens of thousands without power, the Carolina's have sent crews to help out here as well.

We have conflicting reports of six/seven deaths. This is a sad report:

(AP / MUNSTER, Ind.) — A father and son drowned in northwest Indiana while trying to rescue children from a flooded ditch as heavy rains from the remnants of Hurricane Ike forced hundreds of evacuations across the Midwest on Sunday.

Time/CNN

The Oh/Ky damage was reported in the same Time/CNN article:

Strong winds prompted the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport to evacuate it's control tower and cancel about 40 flights before resuming air traffic, airport spokesman Ted Bushelman said.

In Cincinnati, Findlay Market�the state's oldest public marketplace�and several adjacent buildings caught on fire. More than 542,000 Duke Energy customers were without electricity in southwest Ohio and northern Kentucky, officials said Sunday.

Time/CNN

But what I want to know is what are your gas prices like? They soared here yesterday, I spent $4.19. It's cheaper in California and Texas. And this after prices dropped under $93 a barrel. The national average is approx. $3.84 and gas prices in Texas is on average $3.85 a gal. and $3.60 in California! Since when is anything cheaper in California? Of course, the attorney general is promising to investigate any and all reports of gouging in Indiana
as if that ever does any good. Prices will drop before he can even sharpen his pencil. Even President Bush said that gouging will not be tolerated in the wake of Ike....yeah, I feel better.

CNN Money
Article
National Gas Prices

We even had one gas station post $5.99 gal. just to scare customers away because they ran out of gas. That the heck?

WATERLOO, Ind. -- A gas station in northeastern Indiana wanted to scare customers away after it ran out of gas, so employees posted a price of $5.99 a gallon for regular unleaded

Article

Well, I hate to gripe in the midst of so much destruction, but it's just another example of people getting taken advantage of when disasters like this happens. But my thoughts are most definitely with everyone as they continue to clean up from this.

Rush

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Great thread here. I read through the whole thread and hope everyone in these areas are still fairing ok.

Here in Northern Ontario we never get serious weather, so I would not know what you're going through.

I found a little piece on cnn.com about your area but still not enough about this devastation is being told.

cnn.com

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Yes I am fine,
So the MSM finally puts some blurbs up about the situation up here! Gas was $4.22 a gallon when I finally got some yesterday, after the 2 mile lines finally died down yesterday afternoon....

This is the BP station near my house I told you about Rush that I went to last night...good thing I gassed up huh?

Stores, Gas Stations Running out of Supplies

The big blackout is causing problems for the gas stations that have power. Several local stations are beginning to run out.

The BP at the intersection of Beechmont and Five Mile Road in Anderson Township is completely out. Signs warn customers about the shortage. The station has been out of gas since at least 10 o'clock last night.

There is no word yet on when it will receive a new shipment of fuel. If you can find a gas station that's open -- be prepared to wait in a long line to fill your tank. Prices are up in the wake of the storm.

www.local12.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Hey LA. I reminded hubby to gas up before he headed over that way today.....yes....he went. Do ya have any limbs he can stop by and pick up?

Rush

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Hi Rhain,

Yes but we were so lucky compared to the people in Texas and Louisiana, at least all of our houses are still mostly intact, just missing shingles and gutters and siding, or at worst, a tree in a living room.

Like I said, this is the first time any of us this far North got to experience anything close to what an actual hurricane is like. Scary stuff!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Gas hasn't shot up much in my area of KY. I'm in the Lexington area and gas is still $3.86.

I went down to visit my family in Knoxville over the weekend though, and the cheapest we could find gas there was $4.99. Of course that area has their gas supplied from TX where the pipes were shut down.

But not much change where I live.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

That's not bad. Ours is starting to drop back down to just under $4.00 now.

Rush

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Ok, I got the video off my camera. I could have sworn I recorded more footage though. Probably because I started slamming beers and relaxing in the storm.

Its hard to see, but there are whole corn stalks flying through the air. The damage to the surrounding houses was pretty crazy. Almost every house had large amounts of siding ripped off. The tree you see in my front yard survived, but many were ripped right in half.

It doesn't look like much, but we don't get winds like this very often if ever around here. I should have gone aroud and shown some of the houses and their missing siding. Note, I took this video right when the power went out and dint realize at the time the amount of damage this was causing. I only recorded it because it wasn't normal weather for this area.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

More than 3,600 still in the dark

Source

NY got a little taste to.

I don't know if it was unexpected or under estimated..but I don't think anyone expected what came through..

Even tho there were some wind advisories that stated 30mph winds with 50-55 gusts...I went outside for a while and was easily thrown around my street for a few minutes before going back inside..more like 40-45 with 60-65 gusts where I was...we don't have any weather station where I live, closest is Fort Drum I think...anyways, not as bad as some of you guys..good luck to everyone

The remnants of the storm that blew through the area Monday morning cut power to more than 100,000 customers in Central New York.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Awesome video Dronetek,

That was like it was here as well, for HOURS, with gusts up to 75 mph, wrought iron tables were blown away....I had had a few beers while watching the Bengal's game
And when the power went out, I was helping a friend chase down her whole screened-in porch, the screens were ripped out completely, cushions, furniture went flying, we were chasing them down the street and dodging shingles that were raining down from all the houses. We collected box fulls of shingles from her yard and driveway!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I live in the akron area and there are about 20,000 still without power and about 10,000 without power and they are stating it might not be on for another 3-5 days.

In our county we sent about 150-200 workers to help out in texas. I think that is good, they need more help. It is just that our infrastructure(spelling) is not set up for 70 mph winds even though we get "bizzards" the winds generally do not get that high.

We just should be glad this did not happen during the winter months in Ohio.

-Thanks
-Aaron

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join