It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH and KY in State of Emergency with Absolutely NO MSM Coverage!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Hi All,

I have been watching the MSM to see if there's been ANY mention whatsoever of what has happened here in Ohio and Kentucky since yesterday afternoon and there's been not a WHISPER of it.

Almost 2 million people here were without power in both states, 700,000 in Cincinnati alone STILL without power due to the remnants of Ike blowing through yesterday afternoon. We had 5 hours of sustained hurricane level 1 winds here, with 3 hours before that of winds up to 35-50 mph sustained.

COLUMBUS -- At least three people were killed by toppled trees and more than a million homes and businesses lost power as the remnants of Hurricane Ike blew through Ohio on Sunday.

More than 680,000 Duke Energy customers were without power in southwest Ohio and northern Kentucky in the biggest outage in the company's history, said Duke Energy spokeswoman Kathy Meinke.

"It's going to be quite extensive," Meinke said. "Over 90 percent of our customers are without service."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Link on my LOCAL Cincinnati news station:
www.wlwt.com...

Here's the headlines just in Cincinnati alone:

Four Killed; May Be Week Before All Power Restored

So, here's the basic rundown of what happened Sunday and Monday:

# About 928,000 homes and businesses lost power at some point during the wind storm. From Louisville to Columbus, that number is 1.5 million.
# At 11 a.m., the number still without power was slightly over 600,000. (This number does not include 12,000 Owen Electric Coop customers)
# Duke Energy says it may be a week before all power is restored. All told, more than 90 percent of the company's customers lost power. This is the biggest outage in Duke Energy history. Check here for updates.
# Some Duke Energy crews were en route to the Gulf Coast to assist in Hurricane Ike recovery. The company said it's trying to recall some crews, bring others from elsewhere and hire contractors.

Gov. Ted Strickland has issued a state of emergency for several southwest Ohio counties.

www.wlwt.com...

Here's a link to see a slide show of the unbelievable damage here in Cincinnati. Just click on Wind Damage, Wind Damage Part 2 and Part 3...it's hard to believe this hasn't made any national news outlets!

www.wlwt.com...

So if you're trying to get in touch with anyone in Kentucky or Ohio and wondered why you can't reach them, that's the answer! I've been home from work today due to no power at my work, along with 70% of everything else being closed here in Cincinnati as well, and tomorrow, same thing, all the schools are closed, most everyone is still without power, luckily my area obviously has power but I am in the lucky few.

Unbelievable that not a word of this was on any of the national news shows on the 3 networks or any of the cable news channels either. Makes you wonder what they call news! Just thought I'd share this with ATS/BTS.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

The State Owned Power Company here in South Carolina is sending a bunch of crews to Ohio to assist...

Semper

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Virginia is sending crews to Texas.

Good post by the OP. Did not realize the extent of the damage there.

Starred and Flagged.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Hiyah Semperfortis,

Yes I heard that South Carolina was sending help! Thank you kindly

I drove around a little today, there were live power lines down on my street, every street I went on, traffic lights obviously out, looting going on, 2 mile long lines for gas at any gas station that's even open, millions of dollars lost at local grocery stores that had no power...the poor police out driving around trying to get people to stay off the streets, to direct traffic, to stop the looters and to help get downed trees off the roads so the energy crews could get to where they needed to go...fights breaking out over ice...then nice things going on too...in my parents neighborhood, neighbors helping each other drag and chainsaw up all the downed trees, etc.

I only lost a few garbage cans, it was garbage night and they blew off somewhere, but I was very lucky. I picked up shingles out of my driveway, but they weren't from my house, no clue who's they came off of, but it ripped siding off of houses, half the roof came off my neighbor's house, it's pretty unreal, I haven't seen anything like it really. I can only imagine what it's like in a hurricane right on the coast at full steam!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Keep your head down!!!!

And of course, get us some pictures if you can safely do that...

Semper

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here's some more news articles about the situation here...

Power Outages Causes Run On Gas & Groceries

If you're crying over the food you lost in your refrigerator, imagine grocery chains like Kroger – 58 stores just in the Cincinnati alone lost power.

That's millions of dollars they're tossing in the trash.

And that's more than half of all of their stores.

So, you can imagine the lines at those that are open.

www.wcpo.com...

Gov. calling Guard to help in Louisville cleanup

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Kentucky National Guard members are being dispatched to assist with the massive storm cleanup in Louisville following the high winds that pounded the region on Sunday.

Gov. Steve Beshear and Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson say the guard will assist Louisville Metro government workers and power company employees in the recovery.

Officials say roads are blocked in more than 60 locations across Louisville. About a third have downed power lines.

Louisville Gas and Electric officials say that more than 215,000 customers remain without power. LG&E now has 1,100 workers helping with the recovery.

www.fox19.com...

CINCINNATI (AP) - Power companies in Ohio have called in hundreds of reinforcements to fix widespread outages and predicted that some of the 2 million homes and businesses left without power by the remnants of Hurricane Ike may be in the dark until the weekend.

Governor Strickland declared a state of emergency, which will allow the Ohio Department of Transportation to help local communities remove debris from roads.

Hurricane-force winds of up to 78 mph blew through Ohio on Sunday, causing damage in 84 of the state's 88 counties. At least five people who were hit by toppled trees or branches were killed. A sixth person was electrocuted working on a generator yesterday.

www.fox19.com...

[edit on 16-9-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The answer's simple: It's not Texas.

Plus, with the stock market having a bad day today, the MSM has other, more "entertaining" things to worry about.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm here in Columbus (posting from my girlfriend's house) my electric has been out since 3pm yesterday afternoon and they said it could be 5-7 days before the electric is back up. My brother and sister's got out of school Monday and Tuesday and they said the earliest they are having power restored to the schools is Wednesday. Our Wal-Mart lost electric yesterday and still is not back up and nearly all the stores alone one of the main roads in town are out of power. Needless to say the one grocery store that is in service is PACKED... its pretty messy here, and they say at least another 4 days until power is restored to some areas.

Edit to Add-- I heard that AEP in Columbus sent a bunch of crews to Texas and they have to recall all of the crews, which is why it is going to take a while for the electric to come back on.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Ketzer22]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Wow, people...please know that our thoughts and prayers are will all who are going through this ordeal.

Is it just me, or are these storms and natural disasters getting more severe?

Wishing you all well who are facing this...

~Blessings,
~Paula

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

Hiyah Ketzer22,

I sure hope you get power before the 5-7 days! My power went off Sunday afternoon but was back on by 8am Monday morning, so I was lucky. Did you guys up in Columbus have trees down everywhere too? I bet every other yard here has a tree down, no lie, it's pretty amazing.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sweet Paula

Thanks for the well wishes! It was quite a storm to pack that much of a punch this far North, that's for sure. There wasn't much of a warning beforehand either, so I think everyone here was caught unprepared to say the least.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Wow the remnants of Ike did that much damage in KY and OH as a tropical depression. Ike passed through the southwest part of missouri where i live saturday night as a tropical storm along with a strong cold front and did very little damage! we got some heavy rain and some localized flooding and some 50-60 mph wind gusts but no power outages or structure damage.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

We had 5 hours of sustained hurricane level 1 winds here, with 3 hours before that of winds up to 35-50 mph sustained.

Unbelievable... I live in Iowa and have never in my life heard of anything called a "straight line wind" where hurricane force winds 80-100 mph blow through in 15-30 min. This "new weather phenomena" gave me a glimpse into what it might be like to ride out a real hurricane. Frightening! 5 HOURS of Level 1 winds preceded by 3 HOURS of sustained 35-50 mph winds would drive me crazy. Bush better get moving and take care of business at home.
We may all be forced by this radical change in weather to live in caves/underground. Our current houses are too vulnerable and may soon be "obsolete".

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I took some really good video of our mini-hurricane here in Columbus Ohio, I'll make sure to post it, once I pull it off the camera.

I am amazed at the complete lack of coverage though. I don't think we've ever had anything this strong come through here, over such a large area. Our power was out from Sunday till late yesterday evening and the schools have been closed for two days now. There are still tons of people still without power.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'm in Cleveland and certain areas look like a war zone! I have a weather center mounted on my roof; temperature, hygrometer, barometer and anemometer, and I was recording gusts up to 75 MPH! We had sustained straight line winds of 35 to 55 MPH for about 4 hours.

Over half a million people lost power and almost 300,000 still do not have power 2 days later - that is just in greater Cleveland. CEI (our energy company) has had to recall 300 of it's line workers back from Texas to help out up here. Some areas are not expected to have power for another 3 to 5 days.

I don't think we were hit as hard as southern Ohio - but we were sucker punched right in the mouth - without warning! I too am suprised that I have heard nothing in the national media about this.

God Bless everyone who suffered losses in this storm. I pray that recovery comes swiftly to you.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
We were hit pretty hard too where I am (Right across the street from WPAFB). Surprisingly enough, I haven't heard ANY activity in the skys around here, so I don't know how bad the base might've been hit. There's still about 200,000 people without power in the Miami Valley. Ice is impossible to find for the most part (I work at a drive thru). People are trying to find a way to keep their insulin (sp?) cold. There's at least 9 gas stations that are DRY, and those that do have gas don't have electricity to pump it out of the ground. The grocery stores are out of power, and so are most of the resturants in the area. People are just barely hanging in there...
Personally, we lost part of our roof and gutters. The kids playhouse in our backyard is MISSING (if any of you see it, let me know lol). There's trees down everywhere and power lines still down. Luckily, I'm on the one block in Fairborn that has power...and the rest of the people are full of envy towards that fact.

It's certainly scary to see this happen. I've been in Ohio all my life (29 years) and I can say that nothing like this has happened here in MY lifetime. The people here are such a mess that I would hate to see what would happen if some MAJOR would actually happen. Needless to say, it's certainly shown me that regardless of how prepared I was for this (thanks to the fellow atsers making me paranoid lol) it's still not enough if something major does happen in the future.

The one thing that keeps crossing my mind in all this though is how lucky those of us who experianced this are. Can any of you imagine if the hurrican would have been a level 4 when it hit texas????

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kyanther

Hiyah kyanther and kozmo!

So sorry to hear about your roof and gutter kyanther....you are exactly right, I have lived in Cincinnati and Texas, been through a few close calls with tornadoes in both states (tornado alley, you get used to it) but I haven't ever seen anything like what went through Ohio either. And yes, after a taste of this, I can't imagine a category 3 or 4 hurricane.

Any IDIOT that would stay through a category 2 even is NUTS in my book if this was a category 1 that went through Cincinnati. I think of the poor rescue workers down in Texas having to risk their lives to save the people who were too stubborn to leave and it makes me extremely angry!!

I just called my boss, our phones, internet and electricity are still out at work. Day 3 and the power still isn't on in Cincinnati. My mom just called, her power- still out...it looks like a war zone still, there's still the scrolling ticker going across the bottom of my TV telling of all the closings. They opened Red Cross centers, 6 of them, here in Cincinnati.

Thanks you two for giving us updates on what it's like in the Dayton and Cleveland areas!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Yeah, I saw you mention the massive power outages in Louisville as well. We've been dealing with that big time at work so far this week.

One of the products we sell is Dry Ice. Our Louisville branch has had lines 4 blocks long since yesterday morning waiting on dry ice. We've gone through almost 30,000 pounds since 8 yesterday morning.

The devastation is real in KY and OH and it is strange how we haven't heard about it. I had no idea Louisville was hit as hard as it was until I got to work yesterday!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I live in Cincinnati and I am one of the very fortunate ones to not have lost power...(I did lose internet for 3 days, Gasp!).

There was not a single drop of rain, and it hit without many people noticing, that is until you hear that there are hundreds of thousands of people without power, with that number continually climbing.

I decided to drive around some of the older parts of town (I live around 10-15 minutes outside of the city), and it looked like a mini tornado hit.

My family got off pretty easy (minimal damage), but I saw some brand new homes losing half their shingles, windows busted, and a few unlucky people who park their cars under trees (some houses got smacked by a tree too in the more woody areas).

edit - After this though...as you all have said, I can not believe how strong winds are at a speed like this. I have never experienced a hurricane, but I sure know to take them a lot more serious if just some winds can do this to us :O

[edit on 16-9-2008 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Northern Kentucky here, just outside of Cincinnati.
Amazingly, we have power and only suffered a few minutes that we were without it. Even though, many businesses and the local Kroger round the corner is without power. It was truly frightening and the length of time the storm/wind lasted. This coupled with 90 degree weather and full sunshine while we got battered! Strange.
Shingles were lifting up and flying through the neighborhood, luckily no damage here apart from a neighbors tree had several limbs deposited in our yard! We were lucky.
I heard that in the big hurricane that hit the coast in the same area in 1900, it resulted in the same weather up here too.
No school here today for my son, going to try going out in a few to track down some milk!
Take care everyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join