It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tried To Stall GI's Iraq Withdrawal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

www.nypost.com...

WHILE campaigning in public for a speedy withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, Sen. Barack Obama has tried in private to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay an agreement on a draw-down of the American military presence.

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

Obama insisted that Congress should be involved in negotiations on the status of US troops - and that it was in the interests of both sides not to have an agreement negotiated by the Bush administration in its "state of weakness and political confusion."

[edit on 103030p://pmvpm by yenko13]

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread Page):
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This is extremely interesting op, could you provide a source for the article? If this happened to be true it would really cast a bad light on Senator Obama. Can you imagine if he had really requested that kind of thing just to benefit his campaign? He really seems to be sliding recently IMO, I'm really starting to wonder if he really has it stitched up or not, after Governer Palin got on the scene I just can't help but thinking I'll vote Republican this November, especially considering all that Sarah has brought to the ticket. I'm thinking there is a lot of people feeling the same way.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Heres a link ....there is a lot on this now

www.nypost.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

Why would Obama demand that they withhold announcement until after the elections, unless he was afraid it would hurt his chances? It shows the surge worked, Bush was right, McCain was right, and Obama was wrong on this.

This appears to be a case of political maneuvering and attempted manipulation. It is troubling and makes me wonder how far he will go to get elected.

It is a good thing the Iraqi minister refused to be strongarmed.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
For reals? How come a thread this important has 4 replies while a thread about fellow politians wishing Sarah Palin their blessings has pages of replies? It's funny though, Obama has also tried to make this look like his idea, not that the war has been succesful and we can start coming home now, it was allllll him. What a chump.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I think he did it because he wanted to keep emphasizing his plan for Iraq. Ever since they started reaching an agreement, Obama has been mighty quiet on Iraq. Guess you could say Bush took Iraq away from Obama.

top topics

join