It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List: Top Ten Best RocknRoll Songs Ever Written

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDemonHunter
Love most of the songs listed so far.

To the discussion I would add:

"Barracuda"/Crazy on You." by Heart

"Black Betty" by Ram Jam

Stop Hey What's That Sound" by Buffalo Springfield

GREAT Picks!!! I agree with Heart, they had some excellent music! However, I prefer Magic Man, to Barracuda or Crazy on You. Mostly because Barracuda never really was my favorite song, and Guitar Hero ruined "Crazy on You." for me...
But I prefer the Guitar in "Magic Man". The strings just bend for the intro (what 30 seconds)? and its got a rocking beat. I like it anyway.

Black Betty is also a great pick! We used to do Black Betty Shots, and everytime they sang "Black Betty" we had to do a shot. We pretty much had to have a bottle or two just sitting there ready. With one person pouring out the shots, and everyone else bracing themselves for it! And if you missed one, you had to do two. Great Song, great beat, I've always liked itt.

Any Protest song from the 60's would be a great addition. "Eve of Destruction" - Barry McGuire - is another of my favorites. His raspy, smoking-since-he-was-12-voice, realy suits the song.

"I feel like I'm fixin' to Die" - Country Joe and the Fish - is also one of my absolute favorites!!! I love the Recording from Woodstock...."Give me an F, Give me a U...." etc. A great be FU to the war in Vietnam, from everyone at Woodstock. Love it!!

- Carrot

[edit on 9/29/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

I'm glad you approve, Carrot.

I almost forgot about Eve of Destruction! Nice choice there, and you absolutely have to add Country Joe and the Fish if you're talking protests, I agree that they have to be included in the discussion.

As for Heart, Magic Man is really good, but I've never played Guitar Hero at all, so Crazy on You remains one of my favorites. That acoustic intro she plays (never the same way twice from what I understand) is a great opener, and is such a stark contrast to the heavier electric sound to come. Barracuda has a killer riff that I just can't get enough of. If I had half the talent with a guitar that Nancy Wilson has I'd be a very happy man, indeed.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Here's one for your minds to fathom.

Billy Joel - You May Be Right. I maybe crazy!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I believe The beatles should be on the list, in particular tracks from abbey rd such as 'something'...

Also CREAM - White Room another awesome track...why? mostly because the influence they had on the music of their eras

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
To fulfill the request for some Beatles to be added to the list.......

Here's the Beatles with Hey Jude.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
How about the old Kiss song "C'mon And Love Me" with the great lyric "She's a dancer, a romancer, I'm a Capricorn and she's a Cancer."

That's pretty good.

--Rollo

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I am surprised that I do not see any David Bowie on here. I am just appalled that no one has put Ziggy Stardust on here.:shk::shk: I mean, what kind of list would this be without some Bowie?

Here's Bowie and Fame.

Now, I know that we have some Clapton on here already. Not only is this song one of Clapton's best, if not the best. I have to post this song to bring up a question. If any one of us were to die today, would we know each other when and if the rest of us get to heaven?

Tears In Heaven.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
great idea carrot
although i am usually confused by terms like
rocknroll songs or pop songs
i never really judge songs for a certain genre.
i only can say: i like them and sometimes i also can say why!

you are right carrot bob dylan, especially blowing in the wind is an absolutly MUST for such a list!

usually i am not so very aware what songs i really like, but since i read through the thread and thinking of it, i become more and more aware that there are certain songs i absolutly can.t live without.
like rush mentioned don mclean "american pie" - my second bf introduced it to me , and since then it always gave me company, i love don.s version but strongly dislike madonna.s!

and hotel california is one of my dream songs, put it on itunes, switch on the loudspeakers and my mind is away

@gimme ELO outstanding!!

my certainly imperfect list:

peter gabriel solsbury hill
really love the rhythem
saw him performing it in berlin on the secret world tour
really great

when it comes to the beatles, i am never sure what to pick.
yesterday, let it be, lady madonna (the later mabye because a fellow student was able to performe it so brilliantly on piano)

don.t let us miss the rolling stones

angie

satisfaction
no party without it

honky tonk woman

the mamas and papas
california dreaming

simon and garfunkel
mrs robinson

a song a good friend introduced to me
kansas: dust in the wind

again memories of school parties - although i am not that old