It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Finds Unidentified Object in Space, Scientists Puzzled

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ecidemon

Well put, I was thinking the same thing...stared and flaged though because of the sheer peek-a-boo factor. I feel there may be more to this event than we're being told, a little digging is in order.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

A couldnt have said it better myself

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Awesome thread!

Here's to hoping this doesn't evolve into some kind of Footfall scenario, although that minimum distance of 130 light years makes me feel pretty at ease.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
If a black hole was drifting around in intergalatic space,we would not be able to see it,could we?Now what if it met and ate another lost thing like a large planet or something? It seems to me that might make a flash that the telescopes could see.I rekon we might never know one way or the other.Its really interesting anyhow it happend.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Maybe humans shouldn't play with particle physics as one part of the universe is apt to effect another part. Or... maybe Jesus is coming back to the Earth. Or both.

Lol by what? A Imperial Star Cruiser?

But it is a bit strange that after the first test of the LHC this appears .. because I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed i doubt this has happen before .. at least on this level. As for the October ship i would love it if this were it but i doubt it only because of the distance .. doesn't make any since for the GFL to appear that far out unless they were giving a warning to our leaders first .. but still that far out?? As for the Nibiru theory i doubt that too because last time i checked the Nibiru nuts (don't mean anything bad by that) said it was near the moon then the north star .. i just find it hard to believe in that conspiracy. The NEw World Order theory (which id bet my life on) sounds more probable then the Nibiru theory.

My two cents.
Read & Flagged.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Mr.x211]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Wow! the mother of all unidentified flying objects

Could've been a portal to an impossibly far point in the universe or to another dimension altogether; maybe heaven or hell.

starred

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
The Gizmodo article doesn't even say when this occurred. Thanks for posting the more detailed article where it says this happened on February 21, 2006.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the LHC, but apparently not.

(2 years ago and we're just learning about it now, we suck).

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Electro38]

Opps ^_^

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Ok, Folks.

Everyone likes a little humor with their threads, but let's stay on Topic, please.

At least include some useful data with your jokes.
(as well, with your declarations of flagging and starring.)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Could be a wormhole that was opened up by an advanced civilization in order to travel to our galaxy. 100 Days..... Move the fleet in.....close it up.

-Kdial1

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It's foolish to think that we know everything there is to know in the universe. The universe is simply too large for us to even comprehend everything that can be in it and how everything works and etc. In fact, it can even be a problem to even imagine just how large the universe is! Although this is true, I am always surprised about stories where NASA and the like are baffled. I think of organizations like this one as one full of, well, smart people who know about the universe in great detail. I am surprised when NASA and the like admit they don't know something. It's nice, I guess, to know that even such organizations are not all-knowing.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
What if it isn't 130 light years away but only looks that way. Because it doesn't have the usual emissions, there is the possibility that it could be induced artificially. To traverse great universal distances, one might bend the fabric of space-time. So while it may have happened way out there, it could suddenly open up in our solar system with "greetings" or "let's eat!".

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
What if it isn't 130 light years away but only looks that way. Because it doesn't have the usual emissions, there is the possibility that it could be induced artificially. To traverse great universal distances, one might bend the fabric of space-time. So while it may have happened way out there, it could suddenly open up in our solar system with "greetings" or "let's eat!".

Very interesting point. If there are objects like this roaming through space, with the ability to pop up here and there and vanish just as quickly, what do you think the odds that we'd ever catch one 'on film' so to speak?

It's one thing to have somebody produce a picture of a UFO and have everyone scream 'Hoax' in unison, but to have the Hubble see something like this and then hear the brilliant minds behind it come away from the whole thing utterly perplexed is really, really thrilling.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by LiquidSun]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Novas, Supernovas and indeed quasars usually show strong 6563 Angstrom absorption lines. Note however, the paper states:

However, there is no significant H (6563 °A) emission
or absorption, which would be expected for the presence
of strong H and H features. (Although there is
slight evidence for emission at 6563 °A in the Keck spectrum,
this is not seen in the VLT or Subaru spectra

Other anomalies in the absorption lines seem to eliminate virtually every other known phenomena. Therefore, there are two possible explanations, as I see it:
1.) We have encountered a new previously undiscovered phenomena, which may be distinct, or merely a subclass of a known object
2.) At least one of the readings is in error.

I prefer item 1.)
A similar experience happened in 1993:

The second brightest supernova discovered in modern times, SN 1993J, was found in the beautiful spiral galaxy M81 on 28 March 1993. From archival images of this galaxy taken before the explosion, a red supergiant was identified as the mother star in 1993 - only the second time astronomers have actually seen the progenitor of a supernova explosion (the first was SN 1987A, the supernova that exploded in 1987 in our neighbouring galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud). Initially rather ordinary, SN 1993J began to puzzle astronomers as its ejecta seemed too rich in the chemical element helium and instead of fading normally it showed a bizarre sharp increase in brightness. The astronomers realised that a normal red supergiant alone could not have given rise to such a weird supernova. It was suggested that the red supergiant orbited a companion star that had shredded its outer layers just before the explosion.

source:
hubble.esa.int...
In that case, it was helium that raised the red flag, that something didn't fit the known repository of information. I suspect a similar revelation as time goes on. After all, this paper is so recent, that there has not been much time for further analysis.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
We want more information!

Well if its a minimum of 130 LY out then it happened before you were born..

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
i may have missed this in the discussion, but have they said EXACTLY what coordinates this location is? i may have been scanning a little too fast and seem to have missed it.

Great Thread btw

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Came across this from SkyandTelescope.com

more in above link....must stop... hurts...

-----
Mod Edit: Added 'ex' tags
Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/9/2008 by Badge01]

LOL, yes that is QUITE a bit of number cramming and jargon tossing. Let me know if you want some help in clarifying any of it. Sometimes you just get people who love to toss around fancy terminology, but it proves little in terms of their actual knowledge.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Your posts are always great. This one led me to a photo that Hubble made, recently, that stunned me! Thanks for a great post, and the images they are looking at just might be our aliens. Lets hope so.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I can imagine God watching human responses to discovering something
"new" and laughing to himself. He would say to the scientist(s), "My
son, this event occurs all the time. Your species has only been
watching the skies for a brief moment and only across a tiny
fraction of the universe. You know nothing now compared to what
you will know if you exist long enough."

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grock
i may have missed this in the discussion, but have they said EXACTLY what coordinates this location is? i may have been scanning a little too fast and seem to have missed it.

Great Thread btw

Here are the coordinates as listed in the report:

The transient was discovered in the fourth epoch and is located at (Alpha) = 14h32m27s.395,  (Delta) = +33◦32′24′′.83 (J2000.0), corresponding to galactic coordinates l = 55.528943◦, b = 67.345346◦ and ecliptic coordinates  (Lambda) = 13h24m9s.067,  (Beta) = 45◦21′46′′.06.

Ecliptic Coordinates follow the path of the Sun's orbit as seen from Earth, over the Period of One Solar Year. (Basically tracing its route through the Sky). This is used as the Plane upon which this Coordinate System is based.

(Lambda) Represents Longitude.
(Beta) Represents Latitude.

Galactic Coordinates center on the Sun, and follow a Linear plane extending through the Center of the Milky Way Galaxy. This is done yet again from the perspective here on Earth, and is quite simple, seeing as it follows what you witness in the Night Sky. Picture the Milky Way "Cloud" as seen in a truly dark environment, and how it extends across the sky in a line. That is the Plane for this Coordinate System.

l Represents Longitude.
b Represents Latitude.

The Equatorial Coordinate System is based upon the Earth's Equator. Imagine viewing the Night Sky, and super-imposing the Earth's Equator and North, and South Poles into the Night Sky. Also remember that this is inclined in respect to the Ecliptic Plane, since the Earth has a 23.5 Degree Inclination in regards to such.

(Alpha) Represents Ascension (Longitude).
(Delta) Represents Declination (Latitude).

NOTE: Ascension is technically labeled as: Right Ascension (RA). This follows an Eastward Path emanating at the Vernal Equinox (Where the Sun passes Directly over the Equator in Spring for the Northern Hemisphere, and Fall for the Southern Hemisphere).

As for an "Epoch", it is a term used to reference a set period of time during which the observation was made, and it is a base point from which all future predictions and estimates are calculated. The "Fourth Epoch" is one of Twelve Total during which this "Anomaly" was under observation (Nine of those from the HST (Hubble Space Telescope)). The Date in accordance with the "Fourth Epoch" of this Observation is: 02-21-2006.

J2000.0 represents the date in Julian Years, from which the Observation Based Epoch was measured against, so as to calculate where the Reference Frame will be at any given Future Date.

J2000.0 Represents January 1, 2000, 11:58:55.816 UTC.

The reason for all of these fancy Numerical Systems is so Astronomers can plug them into equations, and thus reach Universal Conclusions (ie, a Worldwide Standard).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join