It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain mocked for saying economy still 'strong'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

McCain mocked for saying economy still 'strong'

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

(CNN) — Democrats are pouncing on John McCain's comments at a Florida campaign rally Monday morning that the economy is “strong,” even as a major Wall Street bank filed for bankruptcy protection and another was sold to Bank of America.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Another lost out-of-touch comment from 'senior McCain'.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I can understand them pouncing on it as it does show that McCain is really out of touch with the economy. But we can't blame the guy after all he admitted:

"The issue of economics is not something I’ve understood as well as I should,” McCain said in December 2007. “I’ve got Greenspan’s book.”

And
“I’m going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated.”

So please leave the guy alone. He doesn't want to be president to fix the economy. He knows it's not his strongest skill but wait until Iran crosses the line then he'll shine.

I'm still in shock about Fox pressing Tucker Bounds about McCain

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The US government has been using this for some time now.

The thing is, in the past, they used to be able to stand in front of a camera, and make an obvious lie... and people would believe the president. Why? Because people back then were uninformed outside of what the media says.

The few who saw the lies, couldn't do anything about it, because quite frankly, they don't have the audience the president does, and the damage has already been done, the lie is irreversible. They looked like nut jobs, or whiners.

Now that information can flow freely with the internet, and new independent press groups are starting up who are not bound to any federal censorship, the lies are now quite obviously lies, and the public as a majority can see right through it.

The hilarious part is, the government still thinks that lying works.

They still think that we are just as blind as the public was before the internet.

In fact, that point has become so comical, that COMEDY shows have been created in the main stream media, with the ENTIRE premise of the show based on that single fact.
That the government still thinks we're buying into the lies...

The US government is just that, a joke.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by walkinghomer
I
So please leave the guy alone. He doesn't want to be president to fix the economy.

ummmmm wouldn't his job as president be to run the country well and FIX the economy, to make sure people get jobs and get paid and in return pay taxes

He knows it's not his strongest skill but wait until Iran crosses the line then he'll shine.

vote for the one that can ruin another country if we ruin theirs more then ours gets ruined (by ignoring the economy) we can still say we are better..

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I can see where this story we keep getting told has merit. If we were told that the dollar is worth less than 50 cents, and there is no end in sight for the housing collapse, then the americans who haven't started to panic will go into full spaz mode. The truth is if america started spending the trickle down affect would help us all, but who wants to be the first to invest what little hasn't been lost already? The country needs some really good news about something. "Lassie found the little lost boy in the well!" or "Osama Bin Laden has been found and shot right after we found mountains of real evidence that he did in fact cause 9-11"
Both are just a plausable, but seriously, all you rich folk, start buying up the houses. Start an upward trend. Help a brother out.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It really wasn't the government that got into the 'we can get away with lying' habit on it's own. Media became the Hollywood tool to 'make lies into reality' and the politicians just took it all for granted.

You hear these politicians on their soapboxes pandering to local injustices and talking about how they are going to 'fix it'. But truthfully, do any of them KNOW anything outside politics?

When did these politicians become 'experts' in economy, global strategy, and the human condition?

The answer is they never have been. It's all theories from highly paid (of course) consultants within the most glamorous and socially attractive elites - in their think tanks and foundations. (None of whom pump there own gas or do their own shopping. Like they would know.)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's one thing to not fully understand intricacies of various economic models or arcane detail of dividend taxation in foreign countries, and not being able to tell a strong economy from one that by most accounts is in recession.

McSame is either totally uninformed or did lose his marbles. Or both.
Scary.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

ummmmm wouldn't his job as president be to run the country well and FIX the economy, to make sure people get jobs and get paid and in return pay taxes

I think he was being sarcastic. I say I think because I have been wrong before on assuming that an obviously ridiculus statment was sarcasm.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't understand why he said that.

I'm reminded of that scene in "The Rocketeer" at the airshow when the airplane has trouble and sputters and crashes as the audience is gasping and screaming... and the announcer can be heard over the loudspeaker saying, "Don't worry, folks... It's all part of the show..."

It's like this thing is falling apart right before our eyes and Bush and McCain (and Paulson) are saying, "Don't worry folks. Don't believe what you're seeing with your eyes and hearing with your ears... Trust us! Have we ever lead you astray"?

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

reply to post by harvib

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ok.Ok.Ok ..That was my poor, really poor attempt at sarcasm. I thought it was obvious but I guess not..

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by walkinghomer

Ok.Ok.Ok ..That was my poor, really poor attempt at sarcasm. I thought it was obvious but I guess not..

Not a poor attempt. It was obvious. However there as been several times (more so recently) where I assume someone is being sarcastic and it turns out they are serious. Here is one:

I think it's funny that all the Anti-McCain people think he's going to blow his top and order a nuclear strike.

Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, if this happened one of his advisors would put a stop to it?

Turns out this guy was serious.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
After today's headlines I don't think even McCain can stay in that state of denial. Most Republicans can't really affirm that everything is ok......can they?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
McCain backed off that comment, saying that by "fundamentals" he actually meant the American worker.

Interestingly, he and Bush have been saying for the past 8 years that everything's fine, the economy is strong. It's in our heads... Go shopping! Sounds like something Hoover said right before the Great Depression:

Herbert Hoover Revisited

Depressions don’t instantaneously explode in a country — they creep up. The big financial crash was preceded by years of financial manipulation by Wall Street hucksters, wage declines for the majority of workers, a growing epidemic of farm losses and malign neglect by President Herbert Hoover. Even when it came, Hoover continued to insist that the economy was undamentally sound, that Washington should simply stay the course, and that the market should be permitted to work its magic.

Whoa! It's Deja Vu all over again...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Seriously, if you vote for this candidate, I hope you and your children are homeless and hungry because that is what your stupidity is wishing on the rest of us!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Apparently we all forgot how to read our check book and figure out the buying power of the dollar as soon as Clinton left office.

I don't blame all of the economies woes on Bush, but I certainly don't appreciate him patronizing us by pretending like we are all stupid.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   

reply to post by noobfun

reply to post by harvib

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

my bad sorry

the last thread i read before this was a kid who seems to find it totally impossable that innocent civilians were dying in iraq/afghanistan and that it all has nothing to do with oil

miss read the tone of your post and just went ooo goodie another one -_-

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Talk about a twisting of context and wording. McCain said the FUNDAMENTALS of the Economy are strong. He then went on to elaborate even further by describing how "Fundamentals" was a reference towards the "American Worker". Be more specific when tossing around allegations, and do a little more research before jumping all over a candidate's words.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantaInsider1
Seriously, if you vote for this candidate, I hope you and your children are homeless and hungry because that is what your stupidity is wishing on the rest of us!!!

Well some might say, along the same lines, that if you vote for the "Obama and Biden" ticket you are asking to subject "you and your children" to another terrorist attack. It goes both ways.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

He doesn't want to be president to fix the economy. He knows it's not his strongest skill but wait until Iran crosses the line then he'll shine.

Bah, the economy is your countries worst problem now, not iran. Get your priorities straight. jeesus. I won't leave him alone because that comment could have been avoided had he actually sought out advice before opening his mouth, that sort of thing makes people wonder if he'll do the same when considering to sign or veto a bill. It's a very legitimate concern.

top topics

join